Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 11:30 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,939,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
You've seen the error of yours ways -mission accomplished.
Doesn't mean I'm wrong.

There are still more drizzly oceanic climates than there are torrential rainy ones.

Yes, it's a stereotype. But there are always truths to stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 07:11 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,652,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
Doesn't mean I'm wrong.

There are still more drizzly oceanic climates than there are torrential rainy ones.

Yes, it's a stereotype. But there are always truths to stereotypes.
Nothing to do with stereotypes. Understanding that drizzle is more related to latitude and geography than climate types, is basic weather geek stuff.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:40 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Nothing to do with stereotypes. Understanding that drizzle is more related to latitude and geography than climate types, is basic weather geek stuff.
calling it basic instead providing evidence isn't convincing. Climate types are created by geography and latitude so that's a meaningless statement.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:22 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,330,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
New Zealand is oceanic crap but it's better oceanic crap than either the Pacific Northwest or Western Europe.
putting aside the subjective snark in that kind of over the top hyper-generalized statement--would you care to explain from climate records or even long-term experience (please spare me the stuff about "well, i---of my aunt or a friend of a friend---stayed 2 days in---you fill in the blank exactly where---and it did "something" you didn't like and that was crap weather and therefore it MUST always be like that" line of (un) reasoning) for any or all of those rather large and diverse geographic and climatic areas how they are all OBJECTIVELY "crap" and just so us poor fools who happen to live in such areas know what we are missing what is a real example of an "un-crap" climate" somewhere in the world that someone else wouldn't with equal validity say is ALSO crap because it's---too hot , too cold, too dry, too wet, etc, etc.???

yes, some people rag on the pacific north west for example because it's "too wet" but according to wikipedia portland, oregon gets an average of only around 36" and medford, oregon gets around 19!!!! yes, areas closer to the ocean can get significantly more rain (bandon where i live gets an average of 59) BUT all those places have a distinct summer dry period with essentially very little rain fall between about mid june and mid sept. not to mention, it's normal to see bright sunny days in our region even during the "wet" season---even on the coast---the last several days have been sunny, dry, and mild and in fact and FWIW, most of march so far has been the same by our standards at least, LOL.

again, FWIW, here's what makes my particular climate satisfactory and acceptable (not necessarily perfect or ideal) for me---it's mild enough so that i can grow trees from almost every part of the world (still looking for a tree from antarctica, LOL) and when i go out into my garden i can see LOTS of different trees from australia, new zealand, north africa, mexico, chile and argentina, central and southern china, and many parts of north america (including southern california)--wish my climate might allow me to grow more but it allows me to grow enough so i'm really rather content with where i am for my purposes (and STILL appreciate the possibilities that many other areas might have equal to or greater than where i am).

some folks may or may not like the rainfall totals or the rainfall patterns or thermal regimes or any other of the many details that make up a climate on a regional macro-scale or a local micro-scale but to call ALL of it all the time "crap" is questionable (read: SILLY) even as hyperbole.

hopefully, if any reasonable discussion follows from this (instead of trash talk simply to pick a "fight" for some odd reason), we may all actually have some fun and maybe (just maybe) learn something about the good (and not so good) points of various climates and places around the world and maybe realize that we all are probably in "glass houses" to some degree in comparison to the "perfect" climate and NOBODY can throw stones on that topic---one can always hope. in the meantime, think i take a walk in my garden (no coat or umbrella needed today so far) and enjoy all those plants from all those places i mentioned---some of them are busy flowering right now and later i have some loquat seedlings to pot up....

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 03-19-2015 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: more infol

Old 03-19-2015, 11:44 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,652,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
calling it basic instead providing evidence isn't convincing. Climate types are created by geography and latitude so that's a meaningless statement.
Your statement is incorrect. Drizzle isn't caused by climate, but by latitude and geography.

Just like not all Cfa climates get snowfall, so do not all Cfb climates get predominantly drizzle/light rainfall. That's such a self-explanatory statement, that it doesn't need evidence.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:09 PM

2,714 posts, read 3,042,310 times
It's pleasant in a way that temperatures are rather temperate and most places do not get very cold or very hot. Personally i prefer the South Island here over the Northern Island since it has a more or less "four seasons climate" with warmish summers and cool winters where it can snow down to sea level each winter (even it if it short lived).

Last edited by The East Frisian; 03-19-2015 at 03:10 PM..

Old 03-19-2015, 02:34 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,585 times
nah new Zealand's climate is pleasant as it is not really cold or hot either but for the reason that its not hot and humid I don't like it. summers in new Zealand to me are nonexistent a typical summer in say cape reinga has high temps that are more typical to April for me and in fact by the middle to end of April are warmer than cape reinga. would I hate to live in new Zealand? nope its an extremely beautiful country and I would love to visit and if I had to live there I would live some where in the farrrrrrr north of the country as its warmer there.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:25 PM

3,796 posts, read 2,991,840 times
I don't know too many Aussies that have migrated there due to climate, unlike the reverse scenario with somewhere like the Gold Coast here. (which is marginally too hot imo).
But on NZ, most temps seem to resemble Tasmania, but with slightly less variation.
It is pleasant enough, but more cool-mild than anything else, ie on the tepid side of a moderate climate.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:40 PM

824 posts, read 688,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
nah new Zealand's climate is pleasant as it is not really cold or hot either but for the reason that its not hot and humid I don't like it. summers in new Zealand to me are nonexistent a typical summer in say cape reinga has high temps that are more typical to April for me and in fact by the middle to end of April are warmer than cape reinga. would I hate to live in new Zealand? nope its an extremely beautiful country and I would love to visit and if I had to live there I would live some where in the farrrrrrr north of the country as its warmer there.
Really, hot and humid to me is the worst kind of weather, aside from extremely severe cold.
If I had to live there, Christchurch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia seems best!

Old 03-19-2015, 09:19 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,939,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sir View Post
Really, hot and humid to me is the worst kind of weather, aside from extremely severe cold.
If I had to live there, Christchurch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia seems best!
What about this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blenhe...ealand#Climate

A more improved Christchurch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather