Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 04:58 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
My power outage is over...lasted approximately 53 hours.

This storm was way worse than Hurricane Sandy, and certainly was a bigger bane than Sandy, as Sandy never even took out our power. More tree damage, too. More property damage in some spots.

This just strengthens my hatred of thunderstorms. Obviously never liked them to begin with.
Wow! They must of had to rewire a lot or replace some poles. Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Yeah, nobody needs that crap. Just cause it doesn't do damage over someones head, doesn't mean it didn't anywhere. I grown to hate them so much.

No 90s and only 1 or 2 days of low 80s next 2 weeks here. Loving it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 06:26 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Wow! They must of had to rewire a lot or replace some poles. Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Yeah, nobody needs that crap. Just cause it doesn't do damage over someones head, doesn't mean it didn't anywhere. I grown to hate them so much.

No 90s and only 1 or 2 days of low 80s next 2 weeks here. Loving it.
Yeah, glad it's over. That was by far the longest I have ever been without power.

I was sleeping in the basement, of course, last night for the cooler temperatures, and the return of our power actually woke me up because the basement lights came on. Slept the rest of the night upstairs... turned the window AC on and lowered the temperature of my room by at least 20 degrees, lol.

Feels great this morning. Cloudy and a bit cool.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:45 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
The C in Canadian must mean Chicago. Looks like the latest Canadian model loves CG.

But keep in mind.. All these blue negative anomaly maps doesnt mean winter, snow, cold... It is summer so temps will still be warm! Should be 70s during the day unless clouds and rain keep it in the 60s or unless you're in Canada or upper Great Lakes then the max might be 60s with sun.

Just trying to control the hype or nervousness about these negative anomalies.

Below normal Yes, Cold No.
Inability to sustain heat, Yes. Consistently well below normal, No

Old 06-26-2015, 06:46 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Nice morning. 67 F/19 C and cloudy at 8:45AM. Tomorrow is only expected to be 65 F/18 C with rain.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:52 AM

Heat warnings and advisories in the Pacific Northwest.

Portland, OR:

...EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON FRIDAY TO
5 AM PDT SUNDAY...

* TIMING: FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT.

* DAYTIME HIGH TEMPERATURES: 90 TO 100 ON FRIDAY...AND 95 TO 105
ON SATURDAY.

* NIGHTTIME LOW TEMPERATURES: GENERALLY FROM 60 TO 70.

* LOCATIONS INCLUDE: VANCOUVER...BATTLE GROUND...WASHOUGAL...
EUGENE...SPRINGFIELD...CORVALLIS...ALBANY...SALEM. ..
MCMINNVILLE...HILLSBORO...PORTLAND...OREGON CITY...GRESHAM...
ST. HELENS...ODELL...LONGVIEW...KELSO

* IMPACTS: THIS IS ABNORMALLY EARLY FOR A HEAT WAVE OF THIS
MAGNITUDE. BE SURE TO AVOID EXERTION DURING THE HEAT OF THE
DAY...AND TO STAY HYDRATED WITH CLEAR LIQUIDS. AUTOMOBILES CAN
HEAT UP RAPIDLY TO TEMPERATURES HARMFUL OR EVEN DEADLY TO PETS
AND CHILDREN. USE CAUTION NEAR AREA RIVERS...BE WATER
SMART...WEAR A LIFE JACKET AND USE GOOD JUDGMENT.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

Lewiston, ID:

...HEAT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO
11 PM PDT SUNDAY...

* TEMPERATURES...HIGHS 95 TO 108. LOWS AROUND 70.

* LOCATIONS...WENATCHEE...GEORGE...PRIEST RIVER...MOSES LAKE...
EPHRATA...BANKS LAKE...PULLMAN...LEWISTON...CLARKSTON...AND
KAMIAH.

* IMPACTS...IF YOU PLAN TO BE ACTIVE BE PREPARED FOR SOME OF THE
HOTTEST WEATHER IN THE LAST FEW YEARS. DRINK PLENTY OF WATER. IF
YOU ARE OUTDOORS...TAKE BREAKS FROM VIGOROUS ACTIVITY AND REST
IN THE SHADE.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:12 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Ah, there's nothing like a good old-fashioned Midwest river flood - it makes the landscape a bit more interesting. Of course all that water makes it downstream to the lower Mississippi, and its floodplain is vast; nowadays it's controlled by man so the river can't inundate its floodplain like it used to*, but the 1927 flood gives a taste of what it's natural state is capable of during a great flood (these areas were flooded). A great flood during the time of the earliest explorers and settlers must have been something to see; not only was the place still completely wooded, but with running water stretching to well beyond the horizon the Mississippi must have looked more like a sea than a river.

Even this historical sight would have been a pipsqueak compared to Lake Agassiz at its height 9000 years ago, which made the Great Lakes to its south look like ponds; imagine sailing that behemoth and the Ottawa River it drained into (and the St. Lawrence) from eastern Saskatchewan all the way into the Gulf of St. Lawrence. If it could've lasted to the present day imagine the kind of civilization(s) that could have arisen within that combined watershed; our Great Lakes are very well suited to industry, and that advantage would only be greater with that kind of shipping route available all under the strategic control of the St. Lawrence valley. Western Canada would have been more accessible earlier on to boot.

*As an aside this is the primary reason southern Louisiana is sinking into the sea, since the soil if not replenished tends to subside into the earth with time. Sailing the Great Lakes would have

Nah. Way too humid and a bit too warm during the day; it promotes all manner of foul smells, in stark contrast to the comfortable warm days and cool nights that befit the season of sunshine and greenery .
Learn something new every day - I had no idea that monster lake existed back then. I would LOVE to be able to go back to that era and see that for myself. It's just too bad we didn't have a modern civilization back then. Just imagine the lake effect snows on the south shore of that lake...lol.

Good to see you around here again, Max - it's refreshing to have an additional "cool" presence on this board.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:14 AM

29,522 posts, read 19,616,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
The C in Canadian must mean Chicago. Looks like the latest Canadian model loves CG.

But keep in mind.. All these blue negative anomaly maps doesnt mean winter, snow, cold... It is summer so temps will still be warm! Should be 70s during the day unless clouds and rain keep it in the 60s or unless you're in Canada or upper Great Lakes then the max might be 60s with sun.

Just trying to control the hype or nervousness about these negative anomalies.

Below normal Yes, Cold No.
Inability to sustain heat, Yes. Consistently well below normal, No
The GFS and Canadian are killing me. The Euro is a little better. That pattern sticks around 8-10 days out?

Expanding western heat wave behind buckling North American jet stream | Chicago Weather Center: Skilling's Forecast and Chicago Severe Weather Alerts

Old 06-26-2015, 08:22 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Learn something new every day - I had no idea that monster lake existed back then. I would LOVE to be able to go back to that era and see that for myself. It's just too bad we didn't have a modern civilization back then. Just imagine the lake effect snows on the south shore of that lake...lol.

Good to see you around here again, Max - it's refreshing to have an additional "cool" presence on this board.

Is there a reason you stay in Atlanta? You seem to whine about the climate there. Just move already if you are such a cold lover. I'm sure you would be a lot happier in Minnesota or something.

I'm perfectly fine with the averages for my climate, I just don't like crazy anomalies. Seems many of the cold lovers on this board hate even their average temps. I just don't get it.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Is there a reason you stay in Atlanta? You seem to whine about the climate there. Just move already if you are such a cold lover. I'm sure you would be a lot happier in Minnesota or something.

I'm perfectly fine with the averages for my climate, I just don't like crazy anomalies. Seems many of the cold lovers on this board hate even their average temps. I just don't get it.
I'm fairly content with my climate. I'll even contend with an average summer, but my tolerance for above is low because above pretty much means hot and uncomfortable. I'm totally fine with the winters even if they're not my ideal.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:16 AM

29,522 posts, read 19,616,477 times
Please throw me a ****ing bone here....

https://twitter.com/GenscapeWx/statu...51743284428800
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather