Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 12:36 PM

336 posts, read 398,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Lol you wanna bet there are palms in Atlanta and Dallas as well. The thing is when they do get very cold there, it usually recovers quite fast. Also, the average temps are much warmer than a place like Locarno or Copenhagen lol. You need to go on some other forums and tell people in Atlanta there are no palms there. I know people growing them.
I Always thought palm trees grow in Atlanta and Dallas. Now I read they don't.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:49 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
Even Atlanta is too cold for Palms (at least in the long term). Its continental location means every once it a while it will see bitter cold. The record low in Atlanta is -8 which is almost 20 degrees lower than the record low in Vancouver CA.

Rather intersting that the record low in Blaine, WA is -1F, while in Vancouver it is 12F according to you. If Blaine went to -1F and Seattle went down to 0F in 1950, then Vancouver was right there along with it.

Blaine, WA is 25 miles south of Vancouver sitting right on the same body of water that Vancouver is. I don't believe the record low you posted for Vancouver. In fact, Wiki claims the record low for Vancouver is 0F.

Atlanta average annual extreme min temp is 14F based on the last 30 years. That is zone 8a/b.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weidehond View Post
I Always thought palm trees grow in Atlanta and Dallas. Now I read they don't.

Go on this facebook page and tell the people palms don't grow in Atlanta and Dallas. And then wait for the pics to come to prove to you otherwise. You will have to ask to join as it is a closed group.

https://www.facebook.com/search/str/...s/42645914805/

Here is another one to join and then pose the question, or write the question on their board.

https://www.facebook.com/search/str/...5612837190143/

Far more palms grow in Atlanta and Dallas than in Utrecht. I was in Utrecht in April of 2006 after being in Amsterdam for the Queen's birthday celebration. I didn't see a palm tree in sight. Same trees as here.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:02 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times
Quote:
Lol you wanna bet there are palms in Atlanta and Dallas as well. The thing is when they do get very cold there, it usually recovers quite fast. Also, the average temps are much warmer than a place like Locarno or Copenhagen lol. You need to go on some other forums and tell people in Atlanta there are no palms there. I know people growing them.
Palm Trees DO grow in Atlanta, but they're not as prevalent as you're making them out to be, and quite frankly look way out of place there.

You won't see a palm tree in sight in the surrounding suburbs and countryside either.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:14 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
Scilly Isles, off SW England. Average low temperature in the coldest month is 43f.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:16 PM

2,672 posts, read 3,182,413 times
Quote:
And the same happens in marginal areas in Europe. Feb 2012 in Locarno down to 3F. No way Robusta and CIDP survived that along with 6 straight days below freezing. Same thing happened in Toulouse in 2012.

And palms died in the UK in December 2010 with those frigid temps there. And you wanna bet loads of palms died in Europe in the 1980's. Palms died in Madrid in Feb 2012 as well as Rome.

As has been told to me on this very forum, Europe gets crazy cold as well, just maybe not as often. And all it takes to kill palms is one crazy cold winter.
Not exactly. Locarno's lowest temperature in February 2012 was -9°C (16 F) at Locarno-Monti. Climate LOCARNO-MONTI (February 2012) - Climate data (67600)

You are referring to Locarno-Magadino airport which is a notable cold spot, like many italian airport too. Palm trees live very well in Locarno, thanks to its mild climate.

This is how Locarno looks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HhTfDVcq_c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqAj5LZgFyE

Locarno in winter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHn7XR47CSs

Old 03-24-2015, 01:24 PM

13,479 posts, read 9,020,662 times
Quote:
And the same happens in marginal areas in Europe. Feb 2012 in Locarno down to 3F. No way Robusta and CIDP survived that along with 6 straight days below freezing. Same thing happened in Toulouse in 2012.

And palms died in the UK in December 2010 with those frigid temps there. And you wanna bet loads of palms died in Europe in the 1980's. Palms died in Madrid in Feb 2012 as well as Rome.

As has been told to me on this very forum, Europe gets crazy cold as well, just maybe not as often. And all it takes to kill palms is one crazy cold winter.
But the difference is in those areas you mentioned, even the UK, the hardiest species of palms didn't die, only more tender or marginal species. Trachycarpus fortunei is completely hardy in most of the UK, so you will see many examples of mature specimens decades old...

The same cannot be said for NY, Philly & DC, no palms are hardy there at all...

Old 03-24-2015, 02:20 PM

2,714 posts, read 3,042,541 times
I think i posted some links before. Palm trees at the Island of Heligoland, Germany
"Exotics" on Heligoland

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p...um/3973587.jpg

http://www.snappy.de/helgoland/IMG_2219.JPG

Absolute record low for the past 65 years is just -11.2°C (12°F).
Usually in most winters, lows don't drop there below -2 to -3°C (28-26°F).

Even though they are small, it's astonishing they can grow there most winters without any protection.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Palm Trees DO grow in Atlanta, but they're not as prevalent as you're making them out to be, and quite frankly look way out of place there.

You won't see a palm tree in sight in the surrounding suburbs and countryside either.
Not too far south of Atlanta there are several palm species native.

I'm just telling it based on what I have seen on numerous forums, and there are people growing more and more palms in both Atlanta and Dallas now than ever before.

There is no palm tree growing culture in Atlanta like there seems to be in every single European city no matter how cold. They are far more experimental with palms than Americans and Canadians. They find any tiny warm urban micro climate and plop a subtropical there it seems. Budapest even and it can get very cold there as well.

Vancouver could grow far more palms than some of these marginal places in Europe like in Austra where they go down below zero F yet they keep planting them over there. Americans and it seems Canadians can't be bothered.

Go look up Locarno on streetview and you won't see a palm tree anywhere except for maybe a windmill palm up against a south facing wall. To compare a place like Lucarno to North Florida is just silly. So what it doesn't go below 20F in an average winter. It barely goes above 40F day after day all winter long. No comparison to a place in North FL with an average winter high over 65F and citrus trees full of lemons and oranges. I was in far north FL (panhandle) in February and a gardener let me pick a delicious orange and lemon right off backyard trees. I'm sure that happens all the time in Lucarno lol.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
Not exactly. Locarno's lowest temperature in February 2012 was -9°C (16 F) at Locarno-Monti. Climate LOCARNO-MONTI (February 2012) - Climate data (67600)

You are referring to Locarno-Magadino airport which is a notable cold spot, like many italian airport too. Palm trees live very well in Locarno, thanks to its mild climate.

This is how Locarno looks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HhTfDVcq_c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqAj5LZgFyE

Locarno in winter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHn7XR47CSs

In a very well managed micro climate like all these dense European cities.

The airport is 5 miles away and went down to 3F two nights in a row. There will be no palm trees alive outside that urban heat island.

And they don't look numerous or large that is for sure.

Two stations for Locarno - Monti (heart of the city) and Mogadino (a few miles away and lower in elevation.

Climate LOCARNO-MAGADINO (February 2012) - Climate data (67620)

Weather in Locarno-Monti, CH (Weather Station)

Feb 2012

Monti Elevation 198 meters latitude 46.16 and long 8.78

Feb 1st -.2C/-3.6C
2nd -1.1/-4.7
3rd -1.2/-3
4th -.2/-5.3
5th -.2/-8.4
6th -2/-8.4
7th 1/-9.1

So here we have 6 solid days below freezing. That would be quite incredible if Robusta or CIDP easily handled almost a week below freezing and low temps down that far below freezing. They were protected or they died I would think. 95% of very tall washies were killed in southern US in the 1980's with temps down to 10-12F and all days above freezing. It is not just the low but also the duration.

And the other Lucarno weather station less than 5 miles away

Feb 1st -.6/-8.4
-.1/-2.5
-.5/-9.7
-.2/-15.4
-1.9/-16.1
1.6/-15.9

Again well over a hundred hours below freezing, with a low of 3F, sorry but there is no way a robusta survives that. Loads and loads of roubsta were killed in the southern US with a low temp of 10-12F in the 1980's. I doubt very much they survived in Locarno unless they were protected. Anyone growing subtropicals like palms knows that it is always just about the low temp, but about duration below freezing as well. Consecutive freezing days like shown above kills palms like Robusta outright.

And they do protect palms there as stated on this forum:

Palms in Montreux, Switzerland : Palms and The Tropical Look

I could never locate the person who looks after the garden in Montreux but talked to the garden keeper in Locarno and he told me they tarped their large C. revolutas when temps dropped below -5C (23F). The Brahea armata on the pic is not the only Brahea armata in that area and they also have several Large Jubaeas as well as large Butias on a nearby island (and many other interesting things).

Brahea Armata, Jubaeas and butias are known as cold hardy palms and certainly hardier than CIDP and Robusta. And Sago palms are far hadier than either CIDP or Robusta. So if they have to protect Sago, then they protect CIDP and Robusta.

Show me pics of towering CIDP and Robusta there post Feb 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather