Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 08:58 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times

Advertisements

This weather forum has some excellent material. Real weather is very important to our economies, agriculture, travel and recreation. It is also important to safety because if all this snow in Northern New England melts quickly we will have flooding like we had back in 1998. I have been here about one week, but on CD for nearly 8 years. All kinds of new forums are appearing on CD.

Could a new forum be established for those people who want to discuss relocating continents, raising continents to some higher elevation and comparing totally unrelated cities? Such topics are like playing Dungeons and Dragons. They have no basis in reality, but are enjoyable entertainment for some people. Let them have their own forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 09:10 AM

1,011 posts, read 715,735 times
This was suggested before and most people voted in favour of it. Apparently though senior moderators decided not to implement a new weather forum.

//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...imate-sub.html

Old 03-24-2015, 09:11 AM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,005,110 times
maybe a subforum!

Old 03-24-2015, 09:17 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
This weather forum has some excellent material. Real weather is very important to our economies, agriculture, travel and recreation. It is also important to safety because if all this snow in Northern New England melts quickly we will have flooding like we had back in 1998. I have been here about one week, but on CD for nearly 8 years. All kinds of new forums are appearing on CD.

Could a new forum be established for those people who want to discuss relocating continents, raising continents to some higher elevation and comparing totally unrelated cities? Such topics are like playing Dungeons and Dragons. They have no basis in reality, but are enjoyable entertainment for some people. Let them have their own forum.
Yup... I think those kids are in the wrong forum and just don't know where to post it. Like I said, there's some awesome folks and threads in the "weather" forum but there's some garbage you have to scroll through to get to it sometimes.

Moderator nei has done an awesome job controlling it somewhat but it's still out of control. He created a cap on how many of those threads can get started.

I created a thread proposing an idea but Admins ignored and did nothing about it yet.

//www.city-data.com/forum/about...l#post30127070

Old 03-24-2015, 09:44 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
This issue has been going on for at least a few years, not sure how so many of these got into the forum. I got no response from the site administrators, but I've tried to keep the focus of the forum on "serious weather" as much as practical. Lately the "non-serious" posts have been limited, but occasionally someone bumps a lot of threads [like yesterday]. Some of the geography threads can lead to interesting insights on climate patterns, but a dozen threads with short posts on ratings gum up the thread for everyone else not interesting. The geography threads can lead to interesting discussions on why we get the weather we get, but any intelligent answers to those moving continents would require a large amount of thought.

Posters here come from a wide variety of locations across the world. It's hard to have a detailed local conversation because there are only a few posters in a given place. But I agree that there has been a lot of new sub-forums. I'll re-ask if it's a possibility. Otherwise, the best advice is to wait a few days, most of those threads will fall off the front page. Forum goes back and forth.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:12 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
If it will end the stupid limitation rule then I'm all for it. A while back I typed a paragraph about some climate and when I clicked to post it said "that thread is closed". Well EXCUSE ME that I didn't keep track of how many threads every member started that month. I just love wasting time writing to nobody.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:13 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Many thanks nei. This can be a valuable forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather