Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: London vs Victoria, BC
London 21 50.00%
Victoria 21 50.00%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 12:34 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,408,192 times

Advertisements

London because I couldn't stand the cool summers in Victoria, even it is sunnier..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 01:25 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
London because I couldn't stand the cool summers in Victoria, even it is sunnier..

Those sunshine hours for Victoria seem high to me. Are they based on the same method as the UK I wonder. Seems only a little less cloudy than here, when in reality everything I've heard is that Vancouver is quite cloudy.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:28 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Because we are comparing Victoria, not Vancouver. When I looked at the stats for Victoria this morning, they didn't even reach 20c in July. This is the same station for which Botev posted the sunshine hours.

It seems to be a favourite tactic of people on here, that if their climate is losing, just state you can go a short distance to and get better weather. The thread is London vs Victoria, not London vs a short distance from Victoria! There is a separate London vs Vancouver thread which was bumped earlier. It happens with climate battles involving coastal CA as well.

I chose London over Vancouver, and now I realize I was using the wrong place. Ooops my bad.
Well I choose London even more so now. Victoria is def cooler.

I'd choose London over both Victoria and London. As I pointed out earlier, London is warmer in every season, and I just don't believe those high sunshine hours for a notoriously cloudy place like Victoria.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I'd choose London over both Victoria and London. As I pointed out earlier, London is warmer in every season, and I just don't believe those high sunshine hours for a notoriously cloudy place like Victoria.
Victoria is notoriously cloudy? The region has a reputation for sunshine. And to the north, the region has the name "Sunshine Coast".

Old 03-26-2015, 01:52 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,277,039 times
I thought it was a widely known fact that the Pacific Northwest and coastal BC is sunnier than the UK.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:03 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,408,192 times
Quote:
I chose London over Vancouver, and now I realize I was using the wrong place. Ooops my bad.
Well I choose London even more so now. Victoria is def cooler.

It does seem a bit high but I'm not sure.. it is almost certainly quite a bit sunnier than here though. Unfortunately the sunshine hours are about the only redeeming factor for Victoria's climate.

I am also guessing that like Vancouver, heat waves don't occur as often as they do here

Old 03-26-2015, 02:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Because the downtown is right on the water. The airport is more inland. It makes sense. Compare that to say Portsmouth the average max is 19.4C in June, 21.8C in both July and August. Though Portsmouth is over 100km away from Heathrow
Note the downtown site is 100 hours sunnier than the airport. If you wanted to be in the warmer part of the urban area, you pay in sunshine and in rain. The airport is 50% wetter than downtown! Victoria get some drought tolerant plants / dry summer plants that rare that far north in the Pacific Northwest west of the Cascades.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:17 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,012 times
Both are oceanic crap climates but at least London gets some summer thunderstorms.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:29 PM

29,521 posts, read 19,616,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Airport versus airport London is 1C Warner in terms of max temps. Both have very cool summers. At least by US standards

Old 03-26-2015, 10:14 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
Quote:
Annual mean is warmer in London. Summer nights are colder in Vancouver and summer days cooler.

I'm surprised Vancouver has that many sunshine hours. Doesn't seem that much less than around here.

I'm going with London for warmer summers and milder winters.
This is Victoria, not Vancouver. Vancouver is not that sunny and it rains more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather