Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2015, 05:16 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,586,994 times

Advertisements

What would the climate of Canada be like if it was long and thin like Chile? If you eliminated all the land in Canada north of 50 latitude and replaced it with nothing but open ocean all the way to the North Pole but kept the width the same (Newfoundland to BC), what would the climate be like? Would it be completely maritime or would there be other variations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 08:57 PM

824 posts, read 685,013 times
Well it would be much more oceanic. Probably similar to parts of Europe.

Something like these:

Le Havre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gda

Why do you want to know, trying to kill all the moose and polar bears ?

Old 04-04-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sir View Post
Well it would be much more oceanic. Probably similar to parts of Europe.

Something like these:

Le Havre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gda

Why do you want to know, trying to kill all the moose and polar bears ?
Interesting... so BC and Newfoundland would have the same climate as Le Havre in this scenario? The Polar Bears could still live in Alaska and Svalbard and I'm sure the maritime climate could support moose...

Old 04-04-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Interesting... so BC and Newfoundland would have the same climate as Le Havre in this scenario? The Polar Bears could still live in Alaska and Svalbard and I'm sure the maritime climate could support moose...
I'm kidding about the animals, but I think Canada might be a bit cooler than the examples due to lack of a warm current hitting it.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:44 AM

6,479 posts, read 6,111,234 times
Maybe something like Stockholm, Sweden (on average).

Old 04-05-2015, 03:10 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,897,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sir View Post
I'm kidding about the animals, but I think Canada might be a bit cooler than the examples due to lack of a warm current hitting it.
I agree. I think it would be more like Central Scandinavia, with cold (but not frigid), snowy winters and short, cool summers. Trees would still grow.

BTW, the climates of the United States would also be heavily affected. The South would probably have similar summers but much milder winters, while the North would have cooler summers and milder winters, relative to what they are now.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:22 PM

On the U.S.A:

I think the ocean would cause the Canadian air mass to be much more humid. The U.S. would become much more humid in the north, and the Great Plains would likely be forested. I think that the north would also be more oceanic, with a higher effect closer to the Canadian border. The west wouldn't be heavily affected due to mountain barriers. Also, the south would have similar but much weaker effects due to distance and it's own localized air masses.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I agree. I think it would be more like Central Scandinavia, with cold (but not frigid), snowy winters and short, cool summers. Trees would still grow.

BTW, the climates of the United States would also be heavily affected. The South would probably have similar summers but much milder winters, while the North would have cooler summers and milder winters, relative to what they are now.
But Central Scandinavia has a bit of a continental influence. In this Canadian scenario, there would not be any land between 50N and the North Pole. So where would the continental influence come from?

Old 04-05-2015, 10:48 PM

753 posts, read 833,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
But Central Scandinavia has a bit of a continental influence. In this Canadian scenario, there would not be any land between 50N and the North Pole. So where would the continental influence come from?
I imagine there'd be some continental influence from the south. During the summer in particular there'd most likely still be the regular heat waves that eastern Canada gets every summer, with hot and humid air coming up from the Gulf of Mexico.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:10 AM

3,574 posts, read 3,785,940 times
i think it depends on how the labrador current would be deflected (if all) in that scenario. with new foundland and quebec out of the way, maybe it'd turn westward and go parallel to the north coast in this scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather