Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 03:12 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,276,507 times

Advertisements

Lol. "Owned". One of his favorite words along with "epic".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 04:11 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
But insect and bird life in NC during winter would be zero to none. I lived in a climate that was slightly warmer than that poster's (Atlanta, GA area) and the insect and bird life in winter was none. I noticed the first bees/wasps would come around mid March-early April.

Even in Tallahassee when I lived there, insect life from Dec-Feb was nearly non-existent. That poster tries to make NC out to be warmer than it is, I've noticed.
absolutely no way the bird and insect life is none! some birds from the north come here during the winter. I promise you im not lying. I have lived here my whole life. huh. I don't make NC out warmer than what it is. I know what im saying don't believe me if you want but im not lying. insect life is not much in winter but it is there as for bird life it is every where and plenty. give me one instance where I said something that is not part of the NC climate and warmer than the truth. tell me please.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:54 PM

633 posts, read 661,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
absolutely no way the bird and insect life is none! some birds from the north come here during the winter. I promise you im not lying. I have lived here my whole life. huh. I don't make NC out warmer than what it is. I know what im saying don't believe me if you want but im not lying. insect life is not much in winter but it is there as for bird life it is every where and plenty. give me one instance where I said something that is not part of the NC climate and warmer than the truth. tell me please.
i live in a much warmer climate than you and insect life is minimal in February. all you need is one good freeze (a night at ~30°F) to kill most of the bugs. there are birds and some animals around in February but they are not nearly as active as they are in March and April.

i doubt there is a single bug in Raleigh by mid February and most of the animals are probably hiding until the warm weather returns.

we have a lot of reptiles in Florida but the alligators are not active below 75°F and i don't start seeing lizards and snakes again until mid March.

Last edited by Sir Goosenseresworthie; 04-30-2015 at 07:03 PM..

Old 04-30-2015, 07:31 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
what are you talking about you talk about the south as you live here yet you live no where near it. now your saying Philadelphia is greener than the south? there is plenty of green grass in winter here yes Bermuda grass is the most common here but in winter it turns tan and no where near brown. there are only 2 things that separate winter from spring here, the temperature and the deciduous trees actually 3 when I include the grass. and grass here changes color based on SOIL TEMPS. Bermuda grass goes dormant and changes color once the soil temp goes below 55. a sunny winters day even when its 40 degrees here doesn't feel all that cold. birds everywhere chirping still bugs around crickets chirping in daytime. winter is lively here. funny how now people all the way in Europe and other parts of this country and earth are here talking about the south as if they live here and almost all people who actually live in the south who have posted here have posted something very contrary to what these guys are saying lol.

Check some of the posts, I'm not the only one saying it looks dead in the winter. TommyFL said it also. Everyone knows it is dead looking.

Took me a second to google this:

Promenade Amphitheater - Columbus Photo Album - [domain blocked due to spam]

Seriously that looks no different than here in the middle of winter. And yet with their averages they should be like we are in early April in the middle of their winter. But unlike April, they go 30F below their avg low temps in Jan and that kills everything.

Columbus Geogia in January Jan avg high low 58F/37F. Overall three winter month average high/low is 60/39F. +C'mon a place with those averages should not look like that in winter. It should be far more green. But because the south is continental more than subtropical, it just doesn't look at all like any other subtropical climate in the world.

Now here is Philadelphia in Jan and Feb from pics I took.

January and it looks like we have more green landscaping than they do. It is the low extremes which kill the greenness of the South in winter, not their averages. They should look lush green compared to here, yet it doesn't.

This is like 15 miles outside the city and still looks pretty much the same as Columbus. Incredible given the difference in winter averages.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:

I've been to Raleigh in winter. It is cold, raw, and I certainly don't remember bees buzzing around or flies, butterflies, flowers, etc.

Help us out by posting pics of what your area looks like in the middle of winter. Let us see all this greenness.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Tallahassee averages 30-40 nights below freezing a year, with maybe 5-7 nights below -5 C (I might be being a bit generous here). Maybe the fact that Tallahassee has stronger cold snaps than your area accounts for the less insect activity?

You could be right about the rest of the year being so busy that the quiet season seems quieter, but I didn't really notice any insects when I lived up there between November- early March. Maybe a couple of flies here and there on warmer than avg days.

Very close. Over the last 30 years the average number of nights below 32F is 30 nights. The average number below -5C is 5 nights.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Birds are active throughout the winter here. I went to Richmond Park a few times in the winter and there were parakeets, crows and some smaller birds flying around. It's common to see spiders and flies such as midges/mosquitoes in winter as well.

I certainly wouldn't consider us subtropical though.

I don't know what are so special about birds. We have them around here all winter. I've seen Robins in the middle of winter here. I don't think birds matter as much as certain insects like dragonflies or butterflies. Even bees will go out of their hives here with a max temp of 50F with sun and little wind. My friend is also a bee keeper and he told me they were able to find pollen even in late Feb around here.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:03 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
Lol. "Owned". One of his favorite words along with "epic".
Yes, you got owned epically in this debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Goosenseresworthie View Post
i live in a much warmer climate than you and insect life is minimal in February. all you need is one good freeze (a night at ~30°F) to kill most of the bugs. there are birds and some animals around in February but they are not nearly as active as they are in March and April.

i doubt there is a single bug in Raleigh by mid February and most of the animals are probably hiding until the warm weather returns.

we have a lot of reptiles in Florida but the alligators are not active below 75°F and i don't start seeing lizards and snakes again until mid March.
Not true, insect life is still out and abound during winter in the South; yes, obviously it isn't near summer levels, but it is not devoid of life like you people are trying to make it seem. Crickets still can be out chirping, wasps buzzing, and mosquitoes flying all during the middle of winter.

Birds are out and about as well, along with many mammals, even reptiles like turtles, and alligators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Check some of the posts, I'm not the only one saying it looks dead in the winter. TommyFL said it also. Everyone knows it is dead looking.

Took me a second to google this:

Promenade Amphitheater - Columbus Photo Album - [domain blocked due to spam]

Seriously that looks no different than here in the middle of winter. And yet with their averages they should be like we are in early April in the middle of their winter. But unlike April, they go 30F below their avg low temps in Jan and that kills everything.

Columbus Geogia in January Jan avg high low 58F/37F. Overall three winter month average high/low is 60/39F. +C'mon a place with those averages should not look like that in winter. It should be far more green. But because the south is continental more than subtropical, it just doesn't look at all like any other subtropical climate in the world.

Now here is Philadelphia in Jan and Feb from pics I took.

January and it looks like we have more green landscaping than they do. It is the low extremes which kill the greenness of the South in winter, not their averages. They should look lush green compared to here, yet it doesn't.

This is like 15 miles outside the city and still looks pretty much the same as Columbus. Incredible given the difference in winter averages.
No, TommyFL is just parroting the nonsense that constantly bubbles up in this forum about the South's weather during winter. He isn't thinking for himself logically. Neither are the Europeans who think they know so much about the climate, despite being an ocean away. This is especially the case with those from England, who think they know so much about tropical climates; they should just stick to drinking their tea, and eating their crumpets.

And please, you obviously aren't trying hard at all if you aren't finding green winter pics of Columbus; I found tons with one quick search:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/waynep...-617qrg-61bAqo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/waynep...-61bGVm-617qrg

http://i.imgur.com/WtCT5LJ.jpg

^Less than Philly, huh? Obviously, with decidious trees shedding, there will be some winter brown, but there are still lots of evergreens around in the Inland South, enough to keep a quite lush aesthetic.

You really need to start traveling more; lay off the computer please, until you can make a coherent argument.

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 05-01-2015 at 12:12 AM..

Old 05-01-2015, 12:30 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
The most common broadleaf evergreen trees/plants in the UK are laurel, eucalyptus, rhododendron, holly and box. Pines, cypresses, cordylines, gorse, yew and juniper are common too, but not broadleaf.

Holly and box are native, rhododendron and laurel are invasive species. Eucalyptus is from Australia. All of the non-broadleaf evergreens are native, with the exception of the cypresses and cordylines which are from the Middle East and Oceania respectively.
Forgot to mention, ivy is another native broadleaf evergreen that grows over everything it can.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:30 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,853 times
Pictures of the "dead" Inland South during winter:

San Antonio in January:
http://i.imgur.com/Rh4sZTp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0VVhE9c.jpg

Bear Creek, near Austin TX:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/oxherd...-k9jSeX-qW9uTX

More of that "brown" winter landscape in Austin:
Gorinsky's new web album: Texas in January 2008

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...f166b36dd4.jpg

Jackson MS:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_-4UJyNbz8j...hrobertson.jpg

Shreveport, LA:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...A_IMG_4957.JPG

Columbia, SC:
http://contractconstruction.net/file...dbreak-web.jpg

Just so dead and lifeless, isn't it. Looks just like inland Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather