Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 05:05 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Most notable time I remember that happening (I lived in GA at the time) was in August 2007. What a terrible month that was. Consistent upper 90s-100s and barely any rain.
At the other end of the spectrum, do you remember the summer of 1988, when it rained the first 8 weekends of the summer in Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 05:23 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,098,266 times
I really prefer a dryer climate over a more humid one. With a dryer climate, when it is dry it can cool down at night and still be comfortable enough to sleep. A humid climate, stays warm and sticky most of the time. I can't stand walking about feeling sticky all the time. No fun! Having lived in both humid and dry climates I will take a dry climate any day over a cold miserable humid climate.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:40 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
But I'm talking about during Summer and we are discussing heat here. In order to get convectional precipitation you need high dew points. Severe weather season in the Plains is peak during late March-early May so obviously heat and humidity don't fuel those storms, they're fueled by contrasting air masses meeting up.

Btw not trying to be argumentative so I apologize if I come across that way, I'm just giving you my reason for preferring humid heat to dry heat. (Since it seems to be against the Weather Forum bible to prefer that lol) I hate prolonged drought like what we've been having here this Spring, which has been accompanied by dry heat (by our standards). I hate seeing a seering sun and brown grass day after day after day. I think that's what's fueled my dislike for dry heat honestly.

I do enjoy the nice evenings that dry warmth provides though.
I see your point. Ideal summers for me would have most days with lower humidity, then one or two days a week with a good soaking rain to prevent drought.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:49 PM

171 posts, read 197,057 times
i prefer dry heat but it is more dangerous for outdoor exercise than humid heat

at least when it's humid you know it's too hot... when it's dry you don't realize you are overheated until you start getting heat stroke.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:47 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Dallas averages 38 inches a year. In my part of Lake Highlands, we get 40+ per year. London, England, averages about 24 inches yearly. Drought is rare in Dallas, 2011 being the only memorably dry year since I've been here. And I disagree about Dallas getting humid heat in addition to dry. Been here 24 years.
38 inches is still considerably drier than points east that average 50-60 inches of precipitation a year. Wouldn't call it dry by any means though, but precipitation in Dallas is rather inconsistent.

Average dew point in Dallas, TX:

June: 67 F

July: 68 F

August: 67 F

Not exactly dry.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I see your point. Ideal summers for me would have most days with lower humidity, then one or two days a week with a good soaking rain to prevent drought.
I wouldn't be too unhappy with that.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:55 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,969 times
i say both are the same, for better and worse. in humid heat you feel stuffy and sweaty, and in a dry heat you feel as if your skin is burning and it too feels stuffy, especially if there is no wind blowing.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
i say both are the same, for better and worse. in humid heat you feel stuffy and sweaty, and in a dry heat you feel as if your skin is burning and it too feels stuffy, especially if there is no wind blowing.
Dry heat feels hotter in direct sun, IMO.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:02 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,969 times
Quote:
Dry heat feels hotter in direct sun, IMO.
I agree, even though im tolerant to both, id prefer to sit in humid conditions under the sun where i get drenched in sweat compared to sitting under stinging sun rays roasting your skin...

Old 05-28-2015, 01:48 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
1) The wind gives no relief. It's just like a blow dryer, if there is a breeze.
2) Dry heat generally means more intense solar radiation, which means more sunburns and a higher risk of cancer.
3) It dehydrates you faster than humid heat.
4) Places with dry heat are very smug about how "comfortable" it supposedly is.
5) It feels like you are being microwaved. Humid heat at a slightly lower temperature, say 85F humid vs 100F dry, just feels gross and sticky.

Does anyone agree?

1. If the wind blows hot, humidity or lack thereof is irrelevant.
2. Ever heard of sunblock?
3. Sweat evaporates more readily in drier air. The last thing I want is sweat staying on my skin because the RH is high.
4. It feels more comfortable, so who cares what anyone says?
5. I'll take 100°F at 50% RH over 100°F at 80% RH every single day. I'll even take 100°F at 50% RH over 75°F at 80% RH.

No. I'm sick of humidity, and will be thoroughly enjoying the drier climate after my pending relocation. In fact, the weather is one of my reasons for moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather