Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 08:36 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,953,522 times

Advertisements

I've seen this map floating around the Internet due to Eurovision:

How would this affect Australia's climate?

I think Melbourne's averages would be like this:

Jan 3/12, 110mm
Feb 3/13, 90mm
Mar 6/16, 70mm
Apr 9/20, 55mm
May 13/24, 50mm
Jun 16/27, 35mm
Jul 19/30, 10mm
Aug 20/30, 5mm
Sep 15/26, 25mm
Oct 11/21, 60mm
Nov 7/17, 70mm
Dec 4/13, 100mm

Maybe someone with more knowledge of high and low pressure systems around that area can help with determining new climates.

p.s. I think Australia has been resized here but don't worry about it.

edit: how would it affect europe's climate?

Last edited by jgtheone; 05-24-2015 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: extra question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 08:52 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Central Australia (Alice Springs) would be akin to Moscow, if not colder.

I think Melbourne would be colder, considering that the east coast of Iberia is rather cool in the summer. Sydney will be another Bilbao with gloomy and drizzly weather all year round. Brisbane would be like Paris and the northern parts of Australia will pretty much be UK #2.

Tasmania will be beautiful. I think it will be a mild semi-arid climate in the likes of San Diego.

Last edited by Ethereal; 05-24-2015 at 09:13 AM..

Old 05-24-2015, 08:57 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Hopefully the UK would be a little warmer and sunnier in the summer thanks to Australia blocking much of the Atlantic weather systems.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:00 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,953,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
Central Australia (Alice Springs) would be akin to Moscow, if not colder.

I think Melbourne would be colder, considering that the east coast of Iberia is rather cool in the summer. Sydney will be another Bilbao with gloomy and drizzly weather all year round. Brisbane would be like Paris and the northern parts of Australia will pretty much UK #2.

Tasmania will be beautiful. I think it will be a mild semi-arid climate in the likes of San Diego.
It's funny because northern aus would still be ****!

Canberra would be a nice continental climate, similar to inland Spain and Portugal. Maybe with colder winters.

Perth would be slammed by hurricanes and the like. It'd have cold winters and mild summers with plentiful rain, and maybe even some snow because I think there's a cold jetstream there?

Old 05-24-2015, 10:16 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,012 times
What would the climate of Australia be like if it was next to Europe?

It would suck; it would go from Mediterranean, tropical, and subtropical paradises to largely maritime hell with some subarctic and cooler summer continental pockets.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:05 PM

13,484 posts, read 9,025,623 times
It would be quite bizarre that Tasmania would have the best climate of the whole country, similar to Madeira or the Canary Islands lol... I don't think Melbourne would be that cold in the winter though, unless a cold snap with northerly winds occurred...

Old 05-24-2015, 12:33 PM

2,672 posts, read 3,183,725 times
I guess the entire Europe would be much colder in winter, having an almost continuous landmass from Canada to the British isles and less oceanic influence, so cold air from Canada would easily reach our continent. Goodbye to our mildness. It's almost like Europe would be shifted eastwards to central Russia/Kazakhstan. Southwesterly winds in western europe wouldn't be as mild as they currently are.
My guesses:

Brisbane -> Odessa
Sydney -> Istanbul
Melbourne -> Naples
Perth -> Budapest (yes, it would be by the ocean but so close to Newfoundland, I can't imagine it having a mild climate)
Cairns -> Copenhagen

Northern coast of Spain -> Turkey's Black sea coast
London -> Kiev
Rome -> Turkmenistan's Caspian sea coast

Old 05-24-2015, 12:45 PM

633 posts, read 661,633 times
Well Southeastern Australia would be very much like Spain/Portugal/Azores, the Outback region would see more rain, and Western Australia would have distinct seasons (like St. John's, NL, CA or Sable Island) due to the contrast of the Labrador current with the Gulf Stream. The affects of this would taper off as you went east.

But I think an even more interesting question would be how would Australia's new location affect Europe?

Europe would probably have warmer summers, colder winters, and a bit less rain, as others have stated above me.

@jgtheone
I disagree about Melbourne's temperatures though, it would more like Lisbon, Portugal. In fact it would probably be slightly warmer in the winter and slightly cooler in the summer since it would be more in the crosshairs of the Gulf Stream current. I'm thinking in between the stats of Ponta Delgada, Azores and Lisbon. So instead of 3°C/12°C in Jan it would be more like 9°C/15°C in Jan.

------------------------------------------------

But these are mostly local concerns. I'm also interested in how Australia's new location would affect the global climate. Maybe it would interrupt the Thermohaline circulation and possibly cause a chain reaction that would plunge our Earth into an Ice Age?

Last edited by Sir Goosenseresworthie; 05-24-2015 at 12:53 PM..

Old 05-24-2015, 12:49 PM

607 posts, read 648,865 times
Britain's climate would improve if Australia was there! Lows and the jet stream would probably be diverted north in summer, and winds from the southwest would be drier and warmer. The Gulf Stream would either be blocked off altogether or squeeze between Western Australia and Newfoundland, missing Europe. So our winters would be colder, but probably drier too.

Darwin would be oceanic, Sydney and Melbourne Mediterranean, Perth humid subtropical (maybe bordering on tropical like Bermuda if the Gulf Stream did squeeze through). The southern coast maybe as far as Adelaide would get hurricanes.

The Brisbane-Penzance, Cairns-Galway and Sydney-La Coruna ferry routes would be pretty busy too.... As would Ryanair's Sydney-Canberra hub.

Last edited by Walshie79; 05-24-2015 at 01:03 PM..

Old 05-24-2015, 01:06 PM

633 posts, read 661,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshie79 View Post
Perth humid subtropical (maybe bordering on tropical like Bermuda if the Gulf Stream did squeeze through).
definitely no.

Perth would be ~43°N near the latitude of Halifax, Canada. Perth would be on the western edge of tapping into the Gulf Stream, so seasons would be more distinct than your typical oceanic climate, resembling a climate much closer to Sable Island than Bermuda.

Sable Island:
Sable Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather