Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 10:03 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,188,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
I see boobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 10:06 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphatier View Post
I see boobs.
Hmm. Mammatus clouds, then. That's where its name comes from.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:30 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningrise View Post
The dryness continues in Vancouver...
Oh my goodness that looks awfully dry. I've seen such scenes here only once, in 2006.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donar View Post
That looks even drier than here, are there also trees with yellow leaves in Vancouver by now?

This is exactly where the Limes Germanicus ran in ancient times

I tried to locate the Limes-remains in our forest here based on maps and I'm pretty sure this unreconisable hill is it:

More Roman stuff from here, ruins of a Roman bath:

Riparian Forest:

Wondered about this odd looking plant, apparently it is Datura stramonium:

Wow, nice cloud.
After 100 °F tomorrow and Friday, I should get an eagerly awaited thunderstorm on Saturday.
Nice. The forest looks quite lush and healthy despite the dryness.

Datura stramoium is called Hulluruoho in Finnish. Literally 'crazy grass' or 'lunatic grass'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
Cool. Really freaky.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:39 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Have you walked the High Line before? I hear that's very nice - I got to see the Paris version of it, and was glad I did. It's basically a linear park 3 stories above ground, and you don't have to worry about cars or anything.
Twice. The first time I posted a bunch of photos. The pizza place I posted in the photos was the first time I had been there, even though it was a few blocks from Penn Station, like it so much I try to go there for lunch other times when I'm in that area. Weather when I walked on the high line was a bit awful. Second time was at night, so no good photos.

Quote:
Oh yeah, you gotta ride the Staten Island Ferry over and back. This is free also, and you get *great* views of the skyline coming and going.
Another tourist thing to do is walk over the Brooklyn Bridge, then continue to the Brooklyn Heights Promenade and the new Brooklyn Bridge Park. Might be nicer near sunset. You can take the subway back, short ride back to Lower Manhattan.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:50 AM

753 posts, read 838,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Oh my goodness that looks awfully dry. I've seen such scenes here only once, in 2006.
It's normal to have yellow grass and lack of rain every summer, but it's really bad this year in particular because we had almost no rain at all in May and June (which is not normal at all). Significant water restrictions and forest fire risk this year.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
It's normal to have yellow grass and lack of rain every summer, but it's really bad this year in particular because we had almost no rain at all in May and June (which is not normal at all). Significant water restrictions and forest fire risk this year.
When I was in or near Vancouver in 2011, campfire restrictions weren't put in place till early August. I was told that was one of the latest that has happened.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:04 AM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Welcome to Sandy Hook

Was working in the town and I had to pee real bad. There was no Dunkin Donuts or public restroom anywhere so I found this restaurant to turn into. Obviously nobody there since it was early morning.

Parking lot was empty but I kept driving to the back where it was secluded and woodsy.

Nice spot way back there.

Always nice when there's a cute little village/shopping in the town. Tight curvy roads puts another spin on it.

I wonder if some of you would still call that sidewalk "pavement"? The sidewalk is made of bricks...or stone.

Homes were small in Sandy Hook but some areas had some larger homes. This area is pretty cool sits in a little valley. Imagine all the trees they had to cut out. But I like the idea of spread out homes with large lots.

Almost looks like Pennsylvania. This is on Toddy Hill Road which runs parallel to Route 34. Google Street View

Old 08-06-2015, 11:04 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Forest fire risks are issued here commonly in spring and summer, but that Vancouver drought seems exceptional.

edit: Cambium, that looks nice and lush. Quaint little village.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Always nice when there's a cute little village/shopping in the town. Tight curvy roads puts another spin on it.
Cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Homes were small in Sandy Hook but some areas had some larger homes. This area is pretty cool sits in a little valley. Imagine all the trees they had to cut out. But I like the idea of spread out homes with large lots.
Why? If they were closer together, there'd be a lot more trees, or other space left. Frustrates me to see development like that.

Quote:
I wonder if some of you would still call that sidewalk "pavement"? The sidewalk is made of bricks...or stone.
Pavement is the British word for what we call "sidewalk". I'd guess the British use a different word for what we call "pavement".

Old 08-06-2015, 11:38 AM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Why? If they were closer together, there'd be a lot more trees, or other space left. Frustrates me to see development like that.
I 1000% agree on the frustration and I see so much in my travels.

But, thats the thing, if they were closer using the same acres and entire area, there still wouldnt be trees and there would be more homes which in turn drives population up in the area. Thats one reason why I favor spread out homes.

I see too many areas with tight properties and those areas are mostly congested

Some developer could of said you know what.. i bought 50 acres, im gonna take all the trees down and put 100 homes there nice and tight. Instead this guy decided to put 10. .

And I why not friggin plant trees in the empty spots?. Theres so much room there. Also, may be a zoning thing where the town won't allow past certain amount if properties or roads within. At least they didnt put buildings there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Pavement is the British word for what we call "sidewalk". I'd guess the British use a different word for what we call "pavement".
So if they were to describe the material used to make that sidewalk in the picture would they say "that pavement is made of brick"? Sounds funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather