Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 06:39 AM

1,011 posts, read 715,635 times

Advertisements

/thread.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:26 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,923,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Note all the sites are in the deep south and near water. You'd get rather different results with the inland south, though I agree with your conclusion for the area you chose (gulf coast and atlantic coast Charleston southward). Your data doesn't refute that the south is more variable compared to other subtropical climates, as you haven't compared it with any data from elsewhere.
Houston is over 50 Miles from the Gulf of Mexico, which is quite a bit inland from the coast. Thus, the fact that Houston exhibits such winter lows as shown in my chart demonstrates the great subtropicalness of winters even quite inland in the US. Inland locations, like San Antonio, Austin, Alexandria, etc, also demonstrate the warming trend. Look at the data at the end of this post, and you will see that the average yearly minimum temps for each of these inland areas is 20F or higher; this means that solid zone 9 is reaching even into the inland South, which is far warmer than many people on this forum would like to believe. Alexandria, LA, for instance, conducts commercial sugar cane operations. That says a lot about how warm the climate is in the US South, even into inland locations.

The differences between the average lows, and the average yearly minimums for each of the cities posted in this thread are not that far apart compared to other subtropical areas. Thus, SD in the US South is not high compared to other regions, at least, not as high as commonly stated on this board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
No to be part of your antics but I noticed you didn't mention Alabama.

So lets look at Mobile since it's part of the "coastal U.S South"

Here's their Avg Winter temps since being at that location... Down trend, not up. Average temp in the 40s 4 of last 6 winters.

Here's January Min temp avg. Note the "Polar Vortex" last year Average Minimum temp was 30.4. That's about the same as the normal for Richmond Virginia.

Here's February min avg. Note the "Polar Vortex" this year. 36 and still wasn't as cold as 2010 at 34.5.

Of course the south is prone to cold, you can't change that. That's just the way it flows & happens..
Still doesn't dispute the fact that a warming trend is still occurring, in terms of rarity of severely cold temps.

This proneness to cold the South is exhibiting is clearly temporary, a fact that many people on this forum aren't picking up on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
He thinks Mobile = Dauphin Island. I already showed him data from the Mobile Downtown Airport along Mobile Bay in another thread. That area is a solid 8b.
Well, to be fair, Dauphin Island is quite close to Mobile.

And Mobile is not a solid 8B. Here is the data:
The US South is subtropical paradise: Part 5-mobile-al.png

Clearly a zone 9.
Attached Thumbnails
The US South is subtropical paradise: Part 5-alexandria.png   The US South is subtropical paradise: Part 5-austin.png   The US South is subtropical paradise: Part 5-columbia-ms.png   The US South is subtropical paradise: Part 5-del-rio.png   The US South is subtropical paradise: Part 5-san-antonio.png  

The US South is subtropical paradise: Part 5-selma.png   The US South is subtropical paradise: Part 5-tifton.png  

Old 06-10-2015, 10:51 AM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Still doesn't dispute the fact that a warming trend is still occurring, in terms of rarity of severely cold temps.

This proneness to cold the South is exhibiting is clearly temporary, a fact that many people on this forum aren't picking up on.
Umm, I just showed you winters are getting colder in Mobile, Alabama which is the gulf coast so are you cherry picking finding the warmer spots?

And hello... where is there a proneness to cold that isn't temporary? I wish mine was permanent. LOL! Talk about the length of it but don't ignore the fact that the south does get cold. Period.

Maybe you ignored my post. The severity of the cold has provided Top 5 coldest Winters and Months as I shown. And 4 of the last 6 winters have been Top 12 coldest. Hello?

wavehunter?

Old 06-10-2015, 11:10 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Houston is over 50 Miles from the Gulf of Mexico, which is quite a bit inland from the coast. Thus, the fact that Houston exhibits such winter lows as shown in my chart demonstrates the great subtropicalness of winters even quite inland in the US. Inland locations, like San Antonio, Austin, Alexandria, etc, also demonstrate the warming trend. Look at the data at the end of this post, and you will see that the average yearly minimum temps for each of these inland areas is 20F or higher; this means that solid zone 9 is reaching even into the inland South, which is far warmer than many people on this forum would like to believe. Alexandria, LA, for instance, conducts commercial sugar cane operations. That says a lot about how warm the climate is in the US South, even into inland locations.

The differences between the average lows, and the average yearly minimums for each of the cities posted in this thread are not that far apart compared to other subtropical areas. Thus, SD in the US South is not high compared to other regions, at least, not as high as commonly stated on this board.
If you're just going by hardiness zones, we could pull up a map. Here's the most recent one:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Map_(USA).jpg

If you're going to use the argument that the 1980s had cold winters, generously maybe the 8b areas might turn into 9a, anything more is a stretch. This includes much of the lower south within 150-200 miles of the coast but excludes further. If that's your image of "the south" than your argument makes some sense. To me, it's only a section of it. Now, let's compare with China. An old map:

http://www.oocities.org/zhuzi.geo/Hardines.JPG

Eastern China north of 30°N (which is the latitude of most of the south we're discussing) is in zone 8. Let's compare Hangzhou, a zone 8 city, with Alexandria, which is borderline zone 8 and zone 9 (using 1981-2010 average winter low was 20°F). Hangzhou has an average January low of 35°F, Alexandria 38°F. Assuming they have roughly the same extreme low, Alexandria has a slightly higher standard deviation and is the more variable climate. The record low difference is even higher. The difference are likely to more dramatic the further inland you go. I can't think of a subtropical climate outside of the US that would be more variable than the US or eastern China.

Quote:
I don't find clear at all. Cambium's graph showed no evidence of such a trend, and it's hard to find a clear trend with such high year to year variation.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:11 AM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
And since the thread says "South" and not "coastal south"..

I believe Jackson Mississippi is part of the South. No?

Top 10 winters all have below freezing averages. 3 of them are from the last 12 years. Proneness to cold temporary? lol

Take a look at their lows from January 2014. Pretty much every day had lows below freezing except 6 of them. 6 of them were in the teens.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:22 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,774,375 times
Brownsville TX. Record low 12. Latitude 26N. Sea level. Nuff said

Old 06-10-2015, 11:25 AM

13,484 posts, read 9,025,623 times

Old 06-10-2015, 11:26 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
Brownsville TX. Record low 12. Latitude 26N. Sea level. Nuff said
Doesn't count. That was during the Cold Epoch.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:27 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,774,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Doesn't count. That was during the Cold Epoch.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:28 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj1013 View Post
:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather