Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2016, 11:22 AM

6 posts, read 3,522 times

Advertisements

bitterLY cold and snowY for the uppeR MiDwest and northEasT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 12:13 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Looking likely. Lets see how strong the airmass is though.

BTW .. I wonder if nei is on his bike somewhere. Nice healthy line of snow heading East towards him. That green in CT is not rain, I got flurries coming down.

Ha, no I've only biked a couple days this month. I could see dark clouds to the west at 11-12. It was partly cloudy in the morning, got all cloudy around 10 am. Was inside and away from a window when that band passed if it did. Nothing stuck on the ground if it did, all bare.

I'm guessing this is related to the clipper that was forecast to pass by today and could have been a big snowstorm?

Old 01-29-2016, 12:14 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Most of the country below normal this January
Huh, thought this January felt like a warm one, didn't expect the rest of the country so different.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:34 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'm guessing this is related to the clipper that was forecast to pass by today and could have been a big snowstorm?
Yup. Just a front instead with weak precip.

Wow Taunton... Nice discussion.. Ahhh, the subtle hints at long range cold and a snowstorm from NWS. LOL (Last Paragraph)

Text Data

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA
111 PM EST FRI JAN 29 2016

*/ OVERVIEW ...
DISCUSSED YESTERDAY...JUXTAPOSITION OF TWO COMPETING SIGNALS...THE
EL NINO SOUTHERN OSCILLATION /ENSO/ VERSUS THE ARCTIC OSCILLATION
/AO/ IN AN OTHERWISE PROGRESSIVE FLOW ENVIRONMENT THROUGH WHICH AN
ACTIVE WEATHER PATTERN IS FORECAST.

PRESENTLY ENSO IS IN CONTROL WITHIN A POSITIVE NAO/AO/PNA REGIME
WITH ARCTIC AIR LOCKED UP AROUND THE N POLE AS THE STRATOSPHERIC
POLAR VORTEX REMAINS RELATIVELY STRONG. WESTERLIES SWEEPING NE OUT
OF THE EQUATORIAL PACIFIC CONTRIBUTING TO STORM DEVELOPMENT ACROSS
THE SW CONUS ARE ALSO AIDING IN A PREFERRED S FLOW OF WARM-MOIST AIR
ACROSS THE NE CONUS. SUBSEQUENT POSITIVE HEIGHT ANOMALIES...BOTH THE
STORM TRACK AND MORE FAVORABLE ZONE OF BAROCLINICITY IS SHIFTED N/W.
A WARMER WETTER SIGNAL SOMEWHAT REMINISCENT OF NOVEMBER / DECEMBER
WITH TEMPERATURES REMAINING ABOVE-AVERAGE.

BUT WILL HAVE TO MONITOR TRENDS TOWARDS MID-FEBRUARY. ENSEMBLE MEAN
INDICATIONS OF A SHIFT BACK TO A -NAO/AO STATE WITH A +PNA AS THE
STRATOSPHERIC POLAR VORTEX WEAKENS ALLOWING ARCTIC AIR TO SEEP SOUTH.
WOULD EXPECT A SHIFT IN THE SW-NE BAROCLINIC ZONE / STORM TRACK AS
ENSO REMAINS STRONG. COULD SEE WITH THE RE-INTRODUCTION OF ARCTIC
AIR SOUTH BY THE END OF NEXT WEEK AN INCREASING CHANCE FOR SNOW.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:59 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,916,253 times
It snowed yesterday in Kuwait apparently for the first time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTzP-Yc-pIo

And Bangkok recorded its coldest high on record, with only 19.2ºC, a couple of days ago.

Last edited by marlaver; 01-29-2016 at 02:07 PM..

Old 01-29-2016, 02:01 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,132 times
Quote:
Don't cancel anything yet but lets keep an eye on it.

Max in the 20s for them single digits and teens at night.

I assume -15C at that level down in GA is near extreme?

Here are the max temps from that same run, I assume this is near record cold too but not historic?
It's the deepest and coldest run I've seen so far.

why just why. a third year of this crap???? I absolutely hate this. truly hope it doesn't even get that cold. do you know how 7 degrees feels under that polar vortex. feels like a cold desert. sucks the moisture off my skin and the joy out of my heart. this is crazy from 1990 up to about 2012 most winters except for maybe 3 were pretty typical for a place at our latitude. Now we have to flip back to this crappy pattern?????? why just why. honestly. cold has virtually 0 benefits other than joy for the people who love it. It hurts food production, the economy, and the days that it comes in are ruined. honestly after seeing that map my heart sank to the center of the earth all I feel is this sinking feeling that is weighing me down. And this come just as spring begins to get underway. . this is terrible.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:43 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
why just why. a third year of this crap???? I absolutely hate this. truly hope it doesn't even get that cold. do you know how 7 degrees feels under that polar vortex. feels like a cold desert. sucks the moisture off my skin and the joy out of my heart. this is crazy from 1990 up to about 2012 most winters except for maybe 3 were pretty typical for a place at our latitude. Now we have to flip back to this crappy pattern?????? why just why. honestly. cold has virtually 0 benefits other than joy for the people who love it. It hurts food production, the economy, and the days that it comes in are ruined. honestly after seeing that map my heart sank to the center of the earth all I feel is this sinking feeling that is weighing me down. And this come just as spring begins to get underway. . this is terrible.
Yupp I love New York but it's too damn cold here. You gotta move somewhere else brotha, South America seems so appealing, the economy is getting better in most countries there, the food is good, the nightlife is good, and you don't have worry about your ass freezing in winter

Old 01-29-2016, 03:30 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Just amazing to see but a little too late for my liking. Imagine if this happened 2 weeks ago or currently??? But a Mid Feb Split doesn't tickle me the same. Better late than never I guess.

The Vortex is a whole right now. This is what it could look like.

A ridge of warmth gets to the Arctic and the Vortex splits into 2. One into N.America. The other to Eastern Europe.

Watch it in action to understand what could happen. Watch it get squeezed then pop into 2.

https://twitter.com/Met_mdclark/stat...84442240225280

Old 01-29-2016, 03:46 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Yupp I love New York but it's too damn cold here. You gotta move somewhere else brotha, South America seems so appealing, the economy is getting better in most countries there, the food is good, the nightlife is good, and you don't have worry about your ass freezing in winter
I agree, I have been to costa rica numerous times and loved it, I am a gambler and I enjoy the culture there plus all the eco tours and outdoor stuff. I am trying to meet a colombian woman online but i need to learn spanish. such a great culture, colombian women are some of the most beautiful in the world. in the 80s today in medellin and jaco and san jose in costa rica.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:09 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,132 times
Quote:
Just amazing to see but a little too late for my liking. Imagine if this happened 2 weeks ago or currently??? But a Mid Feb Split doesn't tickle me the same. Better late than never I guess.

The Vortex is a whole right now. This is what it could look like.

A ridge of warmth gets to the Arctic and the Vortex splits into 2. One into N.America. The other to Eastern Europe.

Watch it in action to understand what could happen. Watch it get squeezed then pop into 2.

https://twitter.com/Met_mdclark/stat...84442240225280
Interesting. That's some crazy warm air over Russia and Alaska. And wow the pv goes to eastern Europe rather than western Europe , they seem to luck out in winter but fail in summer. But as the cold lover you are don't you prefer snow more so than cold? The pv would squash any snow chances. Its weird to me how a warm arctic means a frigid winter in the east. Makes sense though. The colder the air the more stable it is. I truly hope this doesn't verify. A SSW event does not happen every winter does it? how often does it happen? and is it unprecedented that it has happened 3 years in a row and each time eastern north America got slammed. very interesting I think earths climate is changing but it is hard to tell in what direction. What will force that ridge into the arctic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather