Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 12:41 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
If I'm following correctly, the stratospheric warming means it's likely cold arctic air could intrude into the midlatitudes, but it could be somewhere other than the US?
RIGHT!

Quote:
Safe to stay a stuck cold like last winter or even 2014 is unlikely?
RIGHT!

Quote:
Well "arctic blasts" suggest extreme cold.
WRONG!

Not sure why you get that notion.

We get Arctic blasts almost every winter, it does not mean extreme cold.

On a related note, I now wonder if the lack of snow cover in Canada or Hudson Bay or Great Lake Ice not frozen over is leading to these arctic air masses to moderate before hitting us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 12:53 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,044,371 times
You win some, you lose some. It's 54 degrees right now (soon to be colder) on the day the blizzard hit about 100 miles from us in Kansas City.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:07 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
You win some, you lose some. It's 54 degrees right now (soon to be colder) on the day the blizzard hit about 100 miles from us in Kansas City.
Willing to make a big bet that every snowstorm or Blizzard Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa & Wisconsin got, we were well above normal on this side. Give me a handicap of at least 90% of the time and at least a 8"+ snow there.

Anyone wanna do a graph?

Old 02-02-2016, 01:09 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,387,326 times
Two tornado warnings just sprung up. One of them is west of Starkville.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:18 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,452,795 times
3 times now we've reached 70F this winter.

When it happened in December it was overcast, now it's warm and sunny like a spring day. Crazy.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:44 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Just was watching TWC and saw a pretty cool segment showing how terrain plays a role in Colorado.

Aside from the 10,000' + peaks west of Denver which increase lift which means more moisture is rung out of the atmosphere... they talked about the winds.

Surface(low level) winds are going to be from the East but winds along the front range will be from the north. This is a current map. You can see the winds behind the range right now from the North, in a few hours will be in front of the range. This creates a "Barrier Jet" which is another way to squeeze out more moisture and drop it as snow.

Good stuff! Thank God for TWC and online videos. If it wasn't for the mountains you wouldn't get that Barrier to happen which gives you that lift up into the atmosphere and obviously it wouldn't have been as much snow if the terrain was flatter where winds would just flow across easier.

Yeah, they explain it often on our local weather. I know now that when a low is coming across the Four Corners, we're going to get it! But then when snow systems come straight out of the west (west to east flow), then the mountains get dumped on and we get downslope winds and we warm up, and get no snow. (air compresses and heats up as it comes down the mountains, same as with the Santa Ana winds in California).

I have about 8" at my house in Denver (the city itself). In the southern 'burbs, at higher elevation, I'm hearing 12 - 14" from friends. Now if they just knew how to plow a street in Denver...

Old 02-02-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Insane... the reverse happened in 2014 and several feet of snow began to sublime, making some places appear foggy. However, it wasn't until April that the snow mountains in parking lots melted, which was the first time I remember seeing snow in April.

Speaking of shorts, we had many zone 7 types of morning lows then, so there seemed to be more people wearing shorts out when it was less than 50 degrees!
If it's sunny and mid 50s with no wind, I'll wear shorts in Denver. The dry cold is much more tolerable here.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
See it?

Where is the Thermal Gradient? Warm meets Cold areas? aka Storm Track.

No storms for Mid West except maybe for Clipper types but the bigger snowstorms would be where the Thermal Gradient sets up.

Now just think... a shift of 100 miles East or West of that Trough = Storm or No Storm. Very Cold or Seasonable.

https://twitter.com/EdValleeWx

I like when the Arctic blast stays east of Colorado

Checking the Denver extended forecast, we're below average the next 3 days (highs in the 30s), then mid 40s for the weekend followed by a long string of sunny 50s. The snow won't last long.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:10 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,387,326 times
Pretty nasty tornadic storm headed towards Collinsville. It's already caused damage.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:17 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
KC gets hardly any snow at all during many Winter seasons. This is no surprise, it has little in common with a typical Midwest climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather