Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2016, 03:23 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Looks focused on the northeast. We've probably seen the coldest temp of the winter.
Yes, appears that southern New England extending north to central regions will finally see some subzero low temperatures. I don't think Concord, NH has even seen one low temperature below zero, highly unusual- considering a low temperature of at least -15 to -20F occurs each winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 04:05 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
It would, that's how it should be, we shouldn't be dealing with Arctic anything at this latitude, we're much closer to the tropics than the Arctic..

This picture says all you need to know about North America and why NYC has such stupidly cold temperatures for that latitude. Look at the rest of the globe. Every single winter you see colors like this over eastern NA. I rarely, ever see that extreme color purple anywhere else. That is like over 15C negative anomaly or close to -30F anomaly. It is just crazy. And when they do happen elsewhere, it is rare and unlikely to happen winter after winter like we have had for three straight years now, and 5 out of the last 7. And look how low those anomalies go deep into the South. That is why in the 80's billions of citrus damage was done.

Seems like almost a guarantee that if the PV breaks down, a piece always ends down over the eastern side of North America. It is obviously its favored target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I'll pass on that, subzero temperatures would just be uncalled for at this point. It'd cause a lot of unnecessary plant damage as well.

Lol, since when did February ever become uncalled for in this part of the world when it comes to plant damage. We got these temps last year in March. Something is going on with the climate. We are definitely getting colder winters since 2010, while everywhere else seems to be warming dramatically. Yet again Europe is very warm all winter. Yet again, the PNW is warm all winter. The blob never went away but is still there and next year will be strong again. There will be no return to a cold PDO until years in the future. That warm water is rock solid there and now the ridiculously persistent ridge is back. Say hello to a constant cold period from how till April in the East.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:13 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
Good stuff, about time for a shot of cold air for the NE/mid-Atlantic after relatively mild temps thus far this winter.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:28 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
This picture says all you need to know about North America and why NYC has such stupidly cold temperatures for that latitude. Look at the rest of the globe. Every single winter you see colors like this over eastern NA. I rarely, ever see that extreme color purple anywhere else. That is like over 15C negative anomaly or close to -30F anomaly. It is just crazy. And when they do happen elsewhere, it is rare and unlikely to happen winter after winter like we have had for three straight years now, and 5 out of the last 7. And look how low those anomalies go deep into the South. That is why in the 80's billions of citrus damage was done.

Seems like almost a guarantee that if the PV breaks down, a piece always ends down over the eastern side of North America. It is obviously its favored target.

Lol, since when did February ever become uncalled for in this part of the world when it comes to plant damage. We got these temps last year in March. Something is going on with the climate. We are definitely getting colder winters since 2010, while everywhere else seems to be warming dramatically. Yet again Europe is very warm all winter. Yet again, the PNW is warm all winter. The blob never went away but is still there and next year will be strong again. There will be no return to a cold PDO until years in the future. That warm water is rock solid there and now the ridiculously persistent ridge is back. Say hello to a constant cold period from how till April in the East.
The temps cambium showed put us at 14 and gfs has us at 16 for the low. Not like 2014 and 2015 and saying this happens every winter is a joke. Did you not see that list I made? 2014 and 2015 were flukes in a warm 2 decades.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:38 PM

Just checked pivotal weather coldest temp shown for that cold blast on Sunday is 23. But that is the gfs I'll check tropical tidbits see the ecmwf. Just checked it now. The coldest anomalies in the northeast the further east and North the colder. The 540 line is in NC. This was on the ecmwf.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:46 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Just checked pivotal weather coldest temp shown for that cold blast on Sunday is 23. But that is the gfs I'll check tropical tidbits see the ecmwf. Just checked it now. The coldest anomalies in the northeast the further east and North the colder. The 540 line is in NC. This was on the ecmwf.
You realize ECMWF model is forecasting charleston SC to have an ice day. Subtropical ice day lol. High temp of 30F there and 28F in Myrtle Beach.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
You realize ECMWF model is forecasting charleston SC to have an ice day. Subtropical ice day lol. High temp of 30F there and 28F in Myrtle Beach.
What day and what's the low.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:04 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
That 850mb anomaly map is amazing! Crazy!

The way I interpret it is "Its gonna be a very cold period". I never look at the details but because its there.... here was the max temp next Sunday 14.

Anyone wanna bet the future Euro updates wont be this extreme? We'll see

Old 02-06-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
That 850mb anomaly map is amazing! Crazy!

The way I interpret it is "Its gonna be a very cold period". I never look at the details but because its there.... here was the max temp next Sunday 14.

Anyone wanna bet the future Euro updates wont be this extreme? We'll see

So if those are the 850s I wonder what kind of highs on the surface that would produce. Or is that map surface temps. Also yeah odds are it will change models have been all over the place.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:30 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,848,119 times

Treading a fine line there. I'm on the southwest side of that dark green color. It's already dropped to 40 F here which is lower than the hourly forecast for 8 PM was. Currently seeing moderate rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather