Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2016, 08:50 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,132 times

Advertisements

33 now ! beat the forecast high at 10:48 am by 2 degrees. They must have greatly underestimated the power of the sun. Funny how im getting excited that its 33 degrees... a whole 22 degrees below average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 08:54 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Same here, originally we weren't supposed to make it out of the teens but the high so far is 24F. That's been the theme of this winter in general though.

The higher we go the further we have to drop, hopefully this puts a damper on the subzero potential tonight, the NWS is forecasting a low of 1F.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Same here, originally we weren't supposed to make it out of the teens but the high so far is 24F. That's been the theme of this winter in general though.

The higher we go the further we have to drop, hopefully this puts a damper on the subzero potential tonight, the NWS is forecasting a low of 1F.
If you are at 24 now that might help by a degree or 2. Last year we were in the mid 20s at day time and dropped to 7 only and you are at that same temp now so would not be surprising if you only bottom out at 3 or 4. For me im hoping we don't drop below 15, forecasts are between 14 and 17 hopefully we stay above 15 tonight. Hoping so because it would keep 2016 for Raleigh in zone 8b. The past 2 years on this forum have taught me one thing. Do not put too much of your faith in the models, otherwise you will be greatly disappointed or be disappointed over nothing. Remember how the earlier blast on Thursday was shown just 2 weeks ago as very extreme, the models showed -15c for savannah, imagine how I felt about that? very depressed. Over nothing at the end of the day because they never dropped below 25. What im trying to say is lets not put our faith in the models so much.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:24 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
If you are at 24 now that might help by a degree or 2. Last year we were in the mid 20s at day time and dropped to 7 only and you are at that same temp now so would not be surprising if you only bottom out at 3 or 4. For me im hoping we don't drop below 15, forecasts are between 14 and 17 hopefully we stay above 15 tonight. Hoping so because it would keep 2016 for Raleigh in zone 8b. The past 2 years on this forum have taught me one thing. Do not put too much of your faith in the models, otherwise you will be greatly disappointed or be disappointed over nothing. Remember how the earlier blast on Thursday was shown just 2 weeks ago as very extreme, the models showed -15c for savannah, imagine how I felt about that? very depressed. Over nothing at the end of the day because they never dropped below 25. What im trying to say is lets not put our faith in the models so much.
If you are in raleigh, you need to check out vedic gardens in morrisville nc to cheer you up and see what you can do there,. my wife is from london but indian ancestry and we go there alot, the rtp area has the only south asian nursery in the united states I believe.

amazing the kind of stuff he can grow in the research triangle park area, I think that morrisville has a huge south asian population. I believe they are going to a online nursery in the spring where they ship stuff out but he does landscaping and helps people set up asian gardens all over the triangle

you can grow some pretty fantastic stuff curry
plants, tons of stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/vedicgarden...type=3&theater

Morrisville Nursery Serves South Asian Immigrants | WUNC

these are some of the herbs he carries, he has tons of stuff

Herbal Plants
Herbs & Spices

Angelica
Ajwain/Bishops weed (Trachyspermum copticum)
Amaranth
Basil (several varieties)
Ban/van Dhania. (Culantro)
Catnip. (Nepeta cataria)
Chives
Corriander/Cilantro
DillFennel
Lavender
Lemon balm
Lemon grass
Lemon verbena
Mint. (several kind.)
Oregano
Parsley
Rosemary
Tej Patta (bay leaf)
Sage
Tarragon
Thyme
Tulsi (Holy Basil)
Van/ban Tulsi (Marjoram)

Old 02-13-2016, 09:32 AM

29,520 posts, read 19,612,482 times
EC model clues into March

Quote:
I feel that most of the cold in Ontario and the U.S. Midwest will be during the second half of the Feb 22nd-28th week after a few days of milder weather in the first half of the week.

1. Western high pressure ridge expected to rebuild at the end of the month and into early March, which forces Pacific storms into southeastern Alaska, leaving the region drier than normal.
2. If the western ridge builds far enough north there will likely be some waves of cold coming down through the eastern Prairies and into the east.
3. Overall pattern would favor main storm track in the east to stretch from the Southern U.S. and then up into Atlantic Canada with opportunities for more snowfall from Quebec into the interior Maritimes and western Newfoundland.
4. Second half of March may turn noticeably milder in the east as the cold air retreats and western ridge breaks down for a time.
Weekly long range clues into March - Canadian Weather Blog Weather Blog

Old 02-13-2016, 09:33 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
went for a short walk around 8:30 AM. Wind was just starting to pick up, didn't feel too extreme. 9°F at 8 AM, 17°F at 9 AM. Started howling outside. 25 mph gusting to 30 mph at 11 am.

What was the coldest wind chill we had last year? Feb 15 last year had an actual low temperature of -3°F. Coldest windchill was -25°F at 9 pm when it was -2°F and 20 mph wind. Usually the coldest temperatures have calm conditions. At sunrise tomorrow, forecast is -11°F with 10 mph winds, combination is -30°F.

So, at 6 am on Feb 21 last year, the wind chill was -28°, with a temperature of -17°F and a breezy wind of... 3.5 mph! That's a fast walking speed, does it make sense for wind that slow to cause that much of a chill? If your back is to the wind I doubt you'd notice it, the wind chill isn't even calculated below 3 mph. 3.0 mph... no windchill, 3.1 mph, windchill of -26°F.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:33 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Probably won't see this again...
Nope but I wonder how low they will go if HP is overhead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post

As colder air aloft moves in we are going to DROP in temps during the day, not go up anymore.

Our max came overnight early morning. Will be in the teens this afternoon and evening.

Winds picked up. Finally the front is here. Now we can start the drop.

The front had slowed down allowing the temps to increase a bit more than forecast as you guys pointed out

Old 02-13-2016, 09:37 AM

Some snow is better than no snow

Old 02-13-2016, 09:47 AM

https://twitter.com/MikeHamernik/sta...17920960376832

Old 02-13-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccomputers70 View Post
If you are in raleigh, you need to check out vedic gardens in morrisville nc to cheer you up and see what you can do there,. my wife is from london but indian ancestry and we go there alot, the rtp area has the only south asian nursery in the united states I believe.

amazing the kind of stuff he can grow in the research triangle park area, I think that morrisville has a huge south asian population. I believe they are going to a online nursery in the spring where they ship stuff out but he does landscaping and helps people set up asian gardens all over the triangle

you can grow some pretty fantastic stuff curry
plants, tons of stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/vedicgarden...type=3&theater

Morrisville Nursery Serves South Asian Immigrants | WUNC

these are some of the herbs he carries, he has tons of stuff

Herbal Plants
Herbs & Spices

Angelica
Ajwain/Bishops weed (Trachyspermum copticum)
Amaranth
Basil (several varieties)
Ban/van Dhania. (Culantro)
Catnip. (Nepeta cataria)
Chives
Corriander/Cilantro
DillFennel
Lavender
Lemon balm
Lemon grass
Lemon verbena
Mint. (several kind.)
Oregano
Parsley
Rosemary
Tej Patta (bay leaf)
Sage
Tarragon
Thyme
Tulsi (Holy Basil)
Van/ban Tulsi (Marjoram)
They grow thyme and sage!!! definitely gonna check this place out. Getting ready to plant some things for this spring so I will definitely check this place out. And yeah the RTP area has a very large south Asian community, in Cary its not uncommon to see Indian families out and about in their traditional clothing, guess they are comfortable there due to the large population of people from India. Being from Palestine sage and thyme are 2 very important parts in our diet definitely want so grow some! First time I heard of this nursery. It is a bit far away though but it will be worth it. These guys have some nice herbs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather