Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2016, 10:33 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
If you are at 24 now that might help by a degree or 2. Last year we were in the mid 20s at day time and dropped to 7 only and you are at that same temp now so would not be surprising if you only bottom out at 3 or 4. For me im hoping we don't drop below 15, forecasts are between 14 and 17 hopefully we stay above 15 tonight. Hoping so because it would keep 2016 for Raleigh in zone 8b. The past 2 years on this forum have taught me one thing. Do not put too much of your faith in the models, otherwise you will be greatly disappointed or be disappointed over nothing. Remember how the earlier blast on Thursday was shown just 2 weeks ago as very extreme, the models showed -15c for savannah, imagine how I felt about that? very depressed. Over nothing at the end of the day because they never dropped below 25. What im trying to say is lets not put our faith in the models so much.
I hope so. It's bad enough we'll lose our zone 8a status tonight, but I don't want to see any zone 6b temps. I take the models with a grain of salt, any calls for below zero temperatures in NYC are far fetched, but they're a little more likely to happen here without a UHI. Even if we go below 0, any small sensitive vegetation I have is encapsulated in snow so I'm not worried about cold damage/death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nope but I wonder how low they will go if HP is overhead?

As colder air aloft moves in we are going to DROP in temps during the day, not go up anymore.

Our max came overnight early morning. Will be in the teens this afternoon and evening.

Winds picked up. Finally the front is here. Now we can start the drop.

The front had slowed down allowing the temps to increase a bit more than forecast as you guys pointed out
I'm at 25F, my high for the day, and it doesn't look windy outside yet judging by the stationary trees. As much as I hate cold, it'll be interesting to watch this all play out. Like a 100+ degree day. Speaking of that, I wonder what the ratio is for <0F temps vs >99F temps in this region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 10:38 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
coldest 850 mb temperatures are just south of James Bay right now. Moving south tonight

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/698372643532251136

Old 02-13-2016, 10:38 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I hope so. It's bad enough we'll lose our zone 8a status tonight, but I don't want to see any zone 6b temps. I take the models with a grain of salt, any calls for below zero temperatures in NYC are far fetched, but they're a little more likely to happen here without a UHI. Even if we go below 0, any small sensitive vegetation I have is encapsulated in snow so I'm not worried about cold damage/death.

I'm at 25F, my high for the day, and it doesn't look windy outside yet judging by the stationary trees. As much as I hate cold, it'll be interesting to watch this all play out. Like a 100+ degree day. Speaking of that, I wonder what the ratio is for <0F temps vs >99F temps in this region.
33 here don't think it will get warmer. will slowly start to drop off around 3, tonights low temp all depends on when temps begin to drop off and how fast. winds have been a bit gusty but not extremely windy as I imagine it will be when the pv heads further south. Greater than 99f temps are more common than below 0. its been 22 years since nyc went below zero yet only a few since it was above 99. walked out shirtless and barefoot with shorts on and did not feel cold. Wonder if I have the highest cold tolerance in the forum. usda hardiness zone here is 7b/8a. arbor day foundation which releases them every year has us at 8a/8b using temps from the 2000s.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:40 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
coldest 850 mb temperatures are just south of James Bay right now. Moving south tonight
That was 7pm last night. See my map this morning. Coldest is much south more now.

Hang on for new 1pm map

Yeah, some locations are getting their max now. Should start dropping any minute..or stablizing at least

Old 02-13-2016, 10:43 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

good morning

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/698379675110920192

Old 02-13-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Update on the Vortex location and 850mb temps

Now in Southern Quebec pushing the Jet Stream and trough down.
Just re-read

Quote:
I am surprised it's not going further south. Very confined and condensed this time.
Hmm. Any highs/low blocking anything? A more zonal pattern out west?

Quote:
You can use the -20°C edge for where the Arctic front is. The summits of the Adks temps continue to drop and about to be -30C up there with wicked winds! It's Saturday, I hope hikers were aware of this coming!
I would hope so, too. I met a few hikers while on Franconia Ridge early March last year who hadn't checked the weather forecast before starting. Weather's already cold before and the upcoming cold was gotten lots of attention, so I'd assume people would think to check now. These conditions are severe enough, search and rescue may not be able to handle it.

ALERT: WIND CHILL WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 2AM MONDAY

A strong arctic cold front will pass through the region early today that will cause the temperatures to plummet to the coldest temperatures that we have seen this year so far. Temperatures will begin to fall shorty after sunrise and will drop down around 35 below zero early this evening. Winds will be on the increase through the day with gust over hurricane force by the evening. The coldest air and the highest winds will likely coincide resulting in dangerous wind chills as cold as 90 below. There will be a costal low developing off the coast today that will influence exactly how cold and windy it may get. If this low develops further off of the coast, then temperatures may drop to near 40 below with stronger winds; where as if it develops closer, we will see temperatures closer to 30 below with weaker winds. Temperatures will stay around 30 below for most of the night then they will slowly rise late this evening into tomorrow. Temperatures will slowly rise through the rest of the forecast period but are expected to stay below zero. Winds will begin to dampen slightly tomorrow morning before ramping back up Sunday afternoon. Due to the prolonged period of cold and wind, a wind chill warning will be in effect through Sunday night. Hikers should be aware that the risk of frostbite or hypothermia can set in in a matter of minutes with the types of conditions expected. On Sunday the summit will clear from the clouds as drier air moves in from the west. The clear skies will last into Sunday night with temperatures beginning to increase more rapidly as a warmer air mass moves into the region ahead of another approaching storm.

With severe conditions expected this afternoon into tonight, hiking above tree line will be extremely risky. If search and rescue needs arise, help will be slow going or postponed until conditions improve Sunday. All SAR assistance, if needed, will have to come from below, as summit staff will not be able to assist in any way, shape, or form until conditions improve Sunday. Keep in mind a single injury will potentially put several lives at risk not just your own. Increased frostbite and hypothermia risks will continue to be present as well through the forecast period.

Going to check a few hiking forums to see who if any ventures out in the mountains — I assume a few might go up lower mountains with less extreme conditions.

https://www.mountwashington.org/expe...-forecast.aspx

Old 02-13-2016, 11:00 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
34 now hope we get to 35 or 36 even before the drop off.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:04 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Same here, originally we weren't supposed to make it out of the teens but the high so far is 24F. That's been the theme of this winter in general though.
Happening here too, 21F now.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:09 AM

26,408 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Low temperatures in Michigan were colder than Wisconsin and nearly as cold as far northern Minnesota:
Pellston: -25F
Gaylord: -25F
Grayling: -24F

Old 02-13-2016, 11:10 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
More snow. Light snow here now. 18F / -8 C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather