Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2016, 04:31 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

The Polar Vortex going to drop to Ontario and Quebec again next week. You know what that means.

Now that averages are going up, the same air mass will be even more below normal as last time. Just depends how cold and how deep it goes.

And it's still 7 days away so who knows.

And like snj90 mentioned... with the trough being carved out in the East, chances of snow could/should happen.

Here's GFS Upper Flow pattern next weekend. 2 things it says.

1. The gradient is tight and the trough isn't deep so Mid Atlantic doesn't feel the real cold. But a Strong Canadian surface high provides some well below cold air.

2. It doesn't leave as fast as last time.

We'll see.

Here is the anomaly for that same time. PV well below normal in that spot end of February.

Last edited by Cambium; 02-21-2016 at 04:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 04:56 PM

Right now the PV is there. Northern Hudson Bay.

Is the Bay frozen? I haven't even checked all winter

Old 02-21-2016, 05:39 PM

Max temp anomaly next Sunday. Figures. We get cold last week. Storm doesnt track up the coast and we warm up mid week. Now we're gonna get cold again without a storm?

If the PV can hang around in southeast Canada March should get interesting.

The above normal temps east of hudson bay is throwing me off here.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:44 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Max temp anomaly next Sunday. Figures. We get cold last week. Storm doesnt track up the coast and we warm up mid week. Now we're gonna get cold again without a storm?

Interesting contrast between the Northeastern US and Atlantic Canada. Is that a common setup or are anomalies usually similar? Never thought about it.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:52 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Interesting contrast between the Northeastern US and Atlantic Canada. Is that a common setup or are anomalies usually similar? Never thought about it.
There've been times when Maine was well above average and most of the rest of the Northeast was below, so a similar setup to that happens occasionally. Even here, temperature anomalies often miss that far east

Old 02-21-2016, 05:55 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:

That is a very extremely tight temp gradient, NC above average but Maryland below? Then well above temps east of the vortex?

Old 02-21-2016, 05:58 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
There've been times when Maine was well above average and most of the rest of the Northeast was below, so a similar setup to that happens occasionally. Even here, temperature anomalies often miss that far east
That's true, I forgot about that. Maine sticks out like a sore thumb when that occurs.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:16 PM

pretty common since you got the strong southerly flow on one side and north flow on the other but that much above normal?? being well above normal caught my eye in Eastern Canada. I dont get how if you look at my previous maps the 500mb anomaly is well below normal so how can the surface be well above normal in the area? Unless theres a surface ridge and HP pointing up to Greenland??

Hmmmm, that would make sense why I saw the cold lasting long (blocking)

Also remember this is the afternoon anomaly, not a 3 or 5 day average so the airmass still has to shift east after this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
That is a very extremely tight temp gradient, NC above average but Maryland below?
Yup. Thats exactly what I noticed. I think last time was the same where it was well below notmal in Northeast but North Carolina was just seasonable? Tells me the jet doesnt dig too far south again so the real cold air stays north of Mid Atlantic. We'll see.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:23 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
pretty common since you got the strong southerly flow on one side and north flow on the other but that much above normal?? being well above normal caught my eye in Eastern Canada. I dont get how if you look at my previous maps the 500mb anomaly is well below normal so how can the surface be well above normal in the area? Unless theres a surface ridge and HP pointing up to Greenland??

Hmmmm, that would make sense why I saw the cold lasting long (blocking)

Also remember this is the afternoon anomaly, not a 3 or 5 day average so the airmass still has to shift east after this.

Yup. Thats exactly what I noticed. I think last time was the same where it was well below notmal in Northeast but North Carolina was just seasonable? Tells me the jet doesnt dig too far south again so the real cold air stays north of Mid Atlantic. We'll see.
It's further north this time actually, last time we got down to 15, and the days before, and following the outbreak, were below average significantly but you are right the departures were not as much as the northeast,the effects of the PV were minimal though once you were south of NC, this time it looks like a more west based outbreak and the effects of the PV aren't felt much further south than Maryland.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:17 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:

What's with the random swath of above normal temps in GA in between two below average periods in both FL and TN?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather