Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2015, 07:00 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
We should not be seeing this in December
This is the proper weather the US South should be having.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 07:27 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,969,179 times
I don't see any extreme warmth in my forecast, but each of the next 10 days is supposed to be warmer than average.
The warmest high I see is 70 and the warmest low 55, about 15 and 20 degrees warmer than average respectively.
It's not supposed to rain anytime soon, either.

The sad thing is the worst case scenario for winter is pretty bad. Once we made it all the way to March without a low below 27, and another time it took until March to get even a trace of snow.

So while it's foolish to cancel winter so soon, I am getting a little concerned.

Last edited by srfoskey; 12-07-2015 at 07:43 PM..

Old 12-07-2015, 08:02 PM

116 posts, read 64,964 times
We deserve this after the crap we've had the last couple of winters.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:54 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
The South is not uniquely cold for its latitude. This is a persistent myth. All you have to do is look at similar latitudes on the eastern sides of continents and you will see the same pattern. Obviously the only analogue that works is East Asia. Check the temps and you will see that it gets as just as cold (or colder) in China at similar latitudes. This 'cold epoch' stuff is nonsense.

I don't believe that is true. East Asia has colder avg winter temps, but the extremes are not nearly as large in deviation as they are in the Southeast. Compare Shanghai and Savannah, GA. Savannah has gone down into the single digits, while Shanghai has not. China is more stable in winter temps than the eastern US, and that is not a myth. Strong, strong Siberian High vs nothing but low pressure alternating with high pressure in North America all winter long.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
This is the proper weather the US South should be having.

You crack me up. You are no where to be found when the last two winters the South was getting hammered with cold, and you denied later that it even went below 20F on the upper Gulf Coast. Now with a very mild December you are on here calling that basically normal, though you are not using that word. But you are implying this warmth is normal. It simply isn't.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidentalGenius View Post
We deserve this after the crap we've had the last couple of winters.

It is near consensus that the El Nino has now peaked. Get ready for the change in pattern right in the middle of January. The polar low will let loose on eastern North America with a vengeance just like it does just about every year we have had a well above avg December. Seen this before, and the winter later will not be pretty at all.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:41 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I don't believe that is true. East Asia has colder avg winter temps, but the extremes are not nearly as large in deviation as they are in the Southeast. Compare Shanghai and Savannah, GA. Savannah has gone down into the single digits, while Shanghai has not. China is more stable in winter temps than the eastern US, and that is not a myth. Strong, strong Siberian High vs nothing but low pressure alternating with high pressure in North America all winter long.
You never know, China could have had their time of intense cold (in terms of high SDs), just at an earlier century than now. I recall an article stating that areas of China that prominently grow citrus today had to permanently abandon the crop sometimes in the past, due to intense cold waves.

Quote:
You crack me up. You are no where to be found when the last two winters the South was getting hammered with cold, and you denied later that it even went below 20F on the upper Gulf Coast. Now with a very mild December you are on here calling that basically normal, though you are not using that word. But you are implying this warmth is normal. It simply isn't.
1.) I posted prominently on the forum during the past winters.

2.)There were no temps below 20F on the Gulf Coasts of Texas and Louisiana, as well as many areas of Florida. Many areas of those states didn't even dip below 30F.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:27 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
You crack me up. You are no where to be found when the last two winters the South was getting hammered with cold, and you denied later that it even went below 20F on the upper Gulf Coast. Now with a very mild December you are on here calling that basically normal

Sounds like someone else that used to post too. Classic and predictable. Don't feed the trolls

Old 12-08-2015, 04:33 AM

The CFS has gotten the pattern and anomalies right since Summer so far..

So will the latest be right too? It's showing a Christmas Miracle snowstorm for the Northeast. LOL

The GFS as well. Storm exits Mid Atlantic and comes up the coast with Arctic air on the back side.

#Timing

Old 12-08-2015, 04:40 AM

Current temps. So easy for the south to get to freezing and 30s even in a warm pattern. Easier than the Northeast coast sometimes. Clouds vs Clear

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather