Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2015, 09:36 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Here's your chance to make a difference. Start a petition to force the university to lower its food prices. Maybe if you could get a nice boycott going, you could bring about some real change.

As for tuition being 10,000 pounds a year, why can't the UK do like Germany and offer free tuition?

We'll get the same here in the US if we can get a certain president elected.
People here in the U.S. are so conditioned to paying ridiculous tuition fees, that their mentality towards the issue is "if we're not paying for it, then they're going to take something from us" which is absolutely ludicrous. People seem to have a hard time wrapping their heads around government-funded programs.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:45 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
People here in the U.S. are so conditioned to paying ridiculous tuition fees, that their mentality towards the issue is "if we're not paying for it, then they're going to take something from us" which is absolutely ludicrous. People seem to have a hard time wrapping their heads around government-funded programs.
When I went to university back in the late 80's, my tuition was a staggering $500 a semester. The horror!

Old 10-05-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
When I went to university back in the late 80's, my tuition was a staggering $500 a semester. The horror!
Ah, of course. Is it much of a surprise that the older generations are the ones who are most opposed to having free education? I think a lot of times they dismiss things as just younger people bitching, not realizing that things really have gotten much tougher since say, the 70s.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:01 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,259,135 times
Quote:
Here's your chance to make a difference. Start a petition to force the university to lower its food prices. Maybe if you could get a nice boycott going, you could bring about some real change.

As for tuition being 10,000 pounds a year, why can't the UK do like Germany and offer free tuition?

We'll get the same here in the US if we can get a certain president elected.
It's not even that. The rooms are a rip off, I don't know where they think we've got this money from.

Then aside from that the additional costs are ridiculous, they make us pay £5 to wash our clothes which can add up, sometimes I end up spending £10 because the dryer doesn't do a good job.

It's £4.50 for the gym out of class hours. It's all very expensive and not very student friendly. I'm not going to eat out again for another few days, I nearly died when I seen the price.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:15 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
It's not even that. The rooms are a rip off, I don't know where they think we've got this money from.

Then aside from that the additional costs are ridiculous, they make us pay £5 to wash our clothes which can add up, sometimes I end up spending £10 because the dryer doesn't do a good job.

It's £4.50 for the gym out of class hours. It's all very expensive and not very student friendly. I'm not going to eat out again for another few days, I nearly died when I seen the price.
Our gym was free, all hours it was open. Laundry was cheap, so was the food plan (most students do the catered option, unlike the UK).

It was only after I got out into the "real world" when I started complaining about high prices - I was spoiled rotten at uni...lol.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:23 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,407,199 times
Quote:
Our gym was free, all hours it was open. Laundry was cheap, so was the food plan (most students do the catered option, unlike the UK).

It was only after I got out into the "real world" when I started complaining about high prices - I was spoiled rotten at uni...lol.
Owen is lying, I have been to the university he is at now for 3 years longer than him..

Laundry at the on campus laundrette is about £2 to wash your clothes, then 50p for each 10 minutes of drying.

Gym is £120 for the year for students, which is exceptional value, seeing as the cheapest high street gyms offer usually £20/month, at £10/month for students this is very cheap.

Food on campus isn't cheap i'd say, but nowhere charges £10 for a meal. You can buy freshly cooked burgers for about £2.50 in the shop, the union bar does a meal deal - £4.50 for a panini, crisps and a pint of beer. The union food outlet does plenty of different food all priced between £1.50-£5.50 for a full meal.

So yeah, don't listen to that compulsive liar

Old 10-05-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Owen is lying, I have been to the university he is at now for 3 years longer than him..

Laundry at the on campus laundrette is about £2 to wash your clothes, then 50p for each 10 minutes of drying.

Gym is £120 for the year for students, which is exceptional value, seeing as the cheapest high street gyms offer usually £20/month, at £10/month for students this is very cheap.

Food on campus isn't cheap i'd say, but nowhere charges £10 for a meal. You can buy freshly cooked burgers for about £2.50 in the shop, the union bar does a meal deal - £4.50 for a panini, crisps and a pint of beer. The union food outlet does plenty of different food all priced between £1.50-£5.50 for a full meal.

Lol. Get rekt.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:28 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,803,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post

owen has difficulties to lie now when many knows where he lives/members here go to the same university as him lol.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:31 AM

13,483 posts, read 9,024,194 times
But he probably had to wash his underwear at least 3 times to get the grotty stains out, not to mention his sheets...

Old 10-05-2015, 10:32 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,407,199 times
For example, our Student Off-Peak Gym Membership works out at just £2.89 per week.
This allows you to visit the Sportspark Gym during anytime at the weekend or before 4pm and after 8.30pm during the week.

If you’re a keen swimmer and use the pool twice or more per week, our Student Off-Peak Swim Membership is incredible value and also works out at just £2.89 per week. This allows you to use the pool during any public swimming sessions during the weekend or before 4pm and after 8.30pm during the week.

- See more at: [url=http://www.sportspark.co.uk/join-in/sportscard-membership#sthash.MEQx2lje.dpuf]Sportscard Membership - Sportspark[/url]

£4.50 a go my *rse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather