Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 12:07 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post

I notice that too. When people say "speed kills" I tell them distraction kills even more. A lot of people seem to have a false sense of security that nothing can go wrong as long as they don't go over the speed limit.
Exactly. And speed differential as well. I hate when someone cuts off somebody going 20 mph faster than them. . And yeah regarding the false sense of security I notice that with my brother. He never goes a single mph faster than the speed limit, and I regularly see him cutting off people who are going way faster than him. When I ask him WTF he's doing, his reply is always the same "Well I'm following the law, he's not" . Just because you're following the law doesn't mean the laws of physics don't apply to you, idiot.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:12 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Probably best for fuel consumption.

I go either whatever the lane is at the time, or if I'm not in a pack of cars then I stay within 79.

I notice that too. When people say "speed kills" I tell them distraction kills even more. A lot of people seem to have a false sense of security that nothing can go wrong as long as they don't go over the speed limit.
Straw man. No one claims distracted driving isn't dangerous. But speed can be as well. The thing is, accidents tend to involve death when you increase your speed. The death rate increases exponentially with increased speed. There are huge differences in pedestrian mortality rate from being hit by a car going 25 versus 35 mph. So speed limits like those in residential areas should be enforced. No reason not to, except for people who have some kind of problem with cops and think they should be able to go as fast as they please.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:14 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
The thing is, accidents tend to involve death when you increase your speed. The death rate increases exponentially with increased speed. There are huge differences in pedestrian mortality rate from being hit by a car going 25 versus 35 mph. So speed limits like those in residential areas should be enforced. No reason not to, except for people who have some kind of problem with cops and think they should be able to go as fast as they please.
Well, obviously in residential areas they're needed. Not in major interstates in the middle of nowhere though. Two completely different things we're comparing here. I'm not going to go 70 mph through a residential area.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Well, obviously in residential areas they're needed. Not in major interstates in the middle of nowhere though. Two completely different things we're comparing here. I'm not going to go 70 mph through a residential area.
That applies to accidents on the highway. Easier to survive at lower speed crashes. So yes, speed does kill.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:23 PM

13,480 posts, read 9,020,662 times
Well my chips were lush, dipped in salad cream

Old 07-29-2015, 12:25 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,900 times
Quote:
Straw man. No one claims distracted driving isn't dangerous. But speed can be as well. The thing is, accidents tend to involve death when you increase your speed. The death rate increases exponentially with increased speed. There are huge differences in pedestrian mortality rate from being hit by a car going 25 versus 35 mph. So speed limits like those in residential areas should be enforced. No reason not to, except for people who have some kind of problem with cops and think they should be able to go as fast as they please.
Residential neighborhoods around here are riddled with speed bumps to enforce the speed limit, since you can't put a cop on every corner. People also put out signs that read "Drive like as if your kids / pet lives here" in places where people tend to speed. Other communities use things like road bottlenecks or islands to force people to drive slower. A little planning goes a long ways to improve actual safety, and it works in the other direction too, like higher speed limits on roads where everyone is already averaging 15 over.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:25 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Quote:
That applies to accidents on the highway. Easier to survive at lower speed crashes. So yes, speed does kill.
Everyone speeds on the highway.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:28 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Quote:
Then why not go 5 mph on the interstate? Where do you draw the line?

Old 07-29-2015, 12:28 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,257,582 times
Starting our descent. Would love to fly by nyc.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Everyone speeds on the highway.
Physics does not change based on consensus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather