Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2015, 10:32 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Maybe it's different in the UK, as I don't know what living arrangements are generally like at Uni's in the US, but the first year you normally go into shared halls of residence, then after that it's normally a house share with people you have made friends with...
About the same in the US, except some continue to live shared halls past the first year, though houses are more common. I didn't have any close friends, definitely not ones I'd travel with, after my first year. Just didn't find the right people and I probably didn't come of the best socially — I was an only child not used to living with others. Could have also been being isolated after having friends in high school made me more negative and less socially pleasant. A lot of the people right next to my residence halls I just didn't click with or worse. But I found a few good groups of people in my second year, and then from them met more people. Well, maybe I did meet a few good friends first year, but became better friends with later.

After my second year, I wasn't that interested in traveling. Rather just live in the town my university was in during the summer, get a summer job and hang out with other college friends staying for the summer. Definitely not interested in traveling with parents.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:37 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
July 2015 was confirmed as the hottest globally on record. What are your thoughts regarding that? The weather in Richmond, Virginia is not very important from a global perspective.
I live here, not in India. Global perspective means nothing to you and me. Once we learn how and why weather & climate happen, we'll understand why it's getting hot or cold in some places. And of course the jumbo jets, pavement, buildings, ect involvement but I bet little understand how a warm stratosphere makes the ground colder. A cold stratosphere warms the surface up.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:43 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,450,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Maybe it's different in the UK, as I don't know what living arrangements are generally like at Uni's in the US, but the first year you normally go into shared halls of residence, then after that it's normally a house share with people you have made friends with...
I already lived in a large house 15-20 minutes drive from the school, I definitely was not going to live in a dorm.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:43 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I live here, not in India. Global perspective means nothing to you and me. Once we learn how and why weather & climate happen, we'll understand why it's getting hot or cold in some places. I bet little understand how a warm stratosphere makes the ground colder. A cold stratosphere warms the surface up.
Except its global warming not regional warming. Climate change works on a global scale. Local regions have their own quirks and a higher variation. It's physically much easier for a region to be unusually warm or cold —*heat in the planet could be redistributed differently than usual one year compared to the next. The planet is a closed system; for the entire planet to change it means the radiation balance of the earth is changing (unless, heat is moved from the subsurface of the ocean to the surface, but the ocean can't warm or cool forever) A global perspective might be less practical from an everyday perspective, but it's more important for climate.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
July 2015 was confirmed as the hottest globally on record. What are your thoughts regarding that? The weather in Richmond, Virginia is not very important from a global perspective.
Source? I can't find July 2015, NCDC hasn't released July yet. Don't know where else to look.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Definitely not interested in traveling with parents.
Even though it's free?

Old 08-16-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Even though it's free?
I'm taking about then. I suppose it was someplace really special otherwise no. I did a family trip to DC last summer where I didn't pay for anything — I mostly agreed just to spend some time with family not "free trip". Especially my dad isn't the most fun to travel with, but he turned out fine then. It's also time I could be using to travel where and how I want to.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:53 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,576,766 times
Quote:
Source? I can't find July 2015, NCDC hasn't released July yet. Don't know where else to look.
http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/pro...ig/jul_wld.png

http://i.imgur.com/BqXLmnz.png

Old 08-16-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I'm taking about then. I suppose it was someplace really special otherwise no. I did a family trip to DC last summer where I didn't pay for anything — I mostly agreed just to spend some time with family not "free trip". Especially my dad isn't the most fun to travel with, but he turned out fine then. It's also time I could be using to travel where and how I want to.
My dad is difficult to travel with, but it's definitely worth it. I want to be driving the car myself, but I can't afford that right now...

Old 08-16-2015, 11:00 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,429,831 times
It's always better to travel with somebody. But I've traveled alone before. It can still be worth it, but it's nice to have others with you, even if it's your parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather