Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2015, 04:13 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
this morning at a lakeside swimming area: grumpy mother telling her young daughter not to go in the water because she just ate, wait 10 minutes. I wanted to yell out while swimming: "I just ate!". Idiot parent for believing that myth.

When I was kid, I wanted to troll stupid and grumpy parents when I got older. Maybe it's not too late to start?
So your parents never inflicted that silliness on you when you were a kid? I thought it was total b.s. when I was a kid - guess I've been vindicated now...lol.

Another one I never could understand was the idea of cold air making you sick - such as planting my face against the grill of the monster AC unit we had when I was a kid. It was mostly my friends who'd tell me I was gonna get sick by doing that, but I never did.

The main issue I with my parents (well, my dad anyhow) was how I should dress in winter. Left to my own devices, I'd just worn pants and a shirt-sleeve shirt + light jacket in winter, since that's all I needed. But on mornings when it got down in the teens, my dad would make me wear 2 shirts, the outer one a heavy shirt or sweater - god, I hated that. Felt so hot and stuffy indoors. Recess in the outdoors, I was always running around, so being cold certainly wasn't a problem. I never could understand why my dad had such a thing against cold, like if it might bite you or something...lol.

At least now, being an adult, I can do things like walk barefoot outside in 26-degree weather and marvel at how warm the driveway feels in the midday sun in spite of the cold. My dad would freak...lol.

I have a feeling you had some awesomely cool parents growing up.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:35 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
U.S Temps 1895 to 1996 to make a point.

Before 1934 we had the warmest year on record in 1921... Global Warming? Heck NO!

Then in 1934 again we had the warmest year on record.. Global Warming?

But yet now a warmest "month" or year is blamed on it..

More importantly...What happened after that? Global Cooling? That's why scientists and media had the Ice Age scare because look at all those years of cooling 1930s to 1970s and guess when the scare happened.. towards the end when we realized the long term trend was going down.. Same thing now. We been warming up for a while so the scare is on (and for a purpose). Meanwhile, they didn't have internet or social media back then AND they didn't have as much pavement, buildings, and airplanes back then either to make it warmer like now!

Old 08-17-2015, 04:38 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Ugh, stop using non-global data to make a point on global warming. And why show a graph missing the last 15 years. Generally, the cooling in the 60 and 70s are attributed to aerosols which reflect sunlight. Their concentration is highest in the northern hemisphere, and mainly the northern hemisphere experienced cooling; southern almost none.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:47 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Weird neck / rear headache. Was planning on a morning bike ride, maybe I should rest. I'll decide in20 minutes or so.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:49 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Ugh, stop using non-global data to make a point on global warming. And why show a graph missing the last 15 years.
Nei.. you always seem to miss my point but I don't expect everyone to get it. I see statements of regional and country monthly and yearly data be blamed on the globe (even locally sometimes!) so I was making a point about the U.S itself.. I explained why I left the last 15yrs out.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:12 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,900 times
I don't think this climate change debate can ever be resolved, so long as the government has the power to tax energy.

Here's my solution - pass a constitutional amendment prohibiting ALL energy taxes. No excise tax on gasoline, no tax on electricity - it should be the one commodity that forever remains 100% tax-free, as mandated by the Constitution. Find some other way to pay for roads and such.

With zero fear of having to pay more for "climate change" I bet people would be able to work together to find out what the "real deal" is - which will probably take a few decades.

As for me, the only form of "climate change" that I'm concerned with is moving to a colder climate such as is found in CNY. Everything else gets a big ol' yawn from me...lol.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:48 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
Even if global warming were anthropogenic, it wouldn't be a very big issue for me. The only ways to combat it would be to massively scale back civilization (in the West, of course... no doubt polluters like China and India would still have free rein to emit carbon dioxide) or to implement some kind of geoengineering solution. I would oppose both rather strongly. If it were still a big issue, I'd focus on reasonable ways to live with it.

But I think that's a moot point. Unless the data has been fudged (actually, a very strong possibility), the world has been warming somewhat. But I don't see runaway global warming happened. I think there are too many unknown factors to predict that. In any case, I don't think it's anthropogenic.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:56 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,772,648 times
The data HAS been fudged. The world is definately warming, just not as much as they say it has.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:04 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
****ing disgusting both outside and inside at work. **** summer. This ****ing season can't be over soon enough.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:18 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,556,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
At least now, being an adult, I can do things like walk barefoot outside in 26-degree weather and marvel at how warm the driveway feels in the midday sun in spite of the cold.
This is exactly the type of sentence that would be a total WTF outside the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather