Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2015, 12:16 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
This is one piece of evidence that strict gun laws do NOT always help keep guns out of the hands of criminals.

First of all, most criminals don't obey laws, period, so they will always find some way to get a gun to commit crime, whether legally or illegally. This is actually counter-productive because it makes it hard for regular citizens to get a gun for self-defense but then have almost NO protection from crime.
Of course not. I would rather focus on why the normal person would need a gun in self-protection in the first place.

After our second school shooting we tightened up our gun laws tremendeously, and gun violence seem to be all but ended.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:29 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
He was mental obviously. That is the key not race.
Agreed. No sane individual goes on a killing spree for being called names.

Quote:
It is true though that in the US blacks commit a very disproportionate amount of crime. Poverty plays a role, but can't be the only explanation.
Of course poverty wouldn't be the only explaination. You have racially bias laws and judicial system, the profitable prison industry, trauma, and a host of other reasons as well. No one likes to address any of these issues, instead they resort to these moronic "well...blacks commit more crime, so there." statements.

Quote:
Black fathers abandoning families and having multiple children from multiple women plays a role.
Try again.

The Absent Black Father: Let's Shatter the Myth This Father's Day - The Root

Last edited by Infamous92; 08-26-2015 at 12:38 PM..

Old 08-26-2015, 12:34 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Didn't you see Tom's post?
Yeah, I did. Doesn't change anything.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:46 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
The video also shows how hard it is to hit with a pistol when nervous, even at point blank range. First shot misses left of the arm, second misses left of the head, third misses right above the right shoulder, and only the 4th actually hits.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:13 PM

13,483 posts, read 9,024,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
This is one piece of evidence that strict gun laws do NOT always help keep guns out of the hands of criminals.

First of all, most criminals don't obey laws, period, so they will always find some way to get a gun to commit crime, whether legally or illegally. This is actually counter-productive because it makes it hard for regular citizens to get a gun for self-defense but then have almost NO protection from crime.
Are you actually being serious?

The very fact that pretty much anyone can go & buy almost any sort of gun on the US is why this & all the many many many many many shooting incidents happen all the time...

Why do you think others countries don't have the sort of mad shooting sprees that the US gets?

Old 08-26-2015, 02:34 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
So much for race not being relevant to this event.

Virginia gunman Bryce Williams shoots Alison Parker and Adam Ward live on air then posts video on TWITTER | Daily Mail Online

Quote:
Flanagan also allegedly contacted ABC News after the attack, sending the news network a 23-page document elaborating on his motivations, saying he wanted revenge for the Charleston church shooting and was inspired by infamous mass shooters.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:37 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times
Today, I've had the bad combination of being busy, yet groggy at the same time. Oh well. I guess other people are having worse days...

Old 08-26-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Today, I've had the bad combination of being busy, yet groggy at the same time. Oh well. I guess other people are having worse days...
I know how you feel. I got by today on just 5 hours of sleep and spent the entire day behind a computer desk typing up reports and alphabetising files. I've never been so relieved to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
You assumed race was relevant before reading that article on the basis of nothing. Of course, if you had access to that information before, that's different - but otherwise, you were just being presumptuous.

Also take note of the word 'allegedly'. That's a word people use when someone makes a claim that has yet to be proven true.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:45 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I know how you feel. I got by today on just 5 hours of sleep and spent the entire day behind a computer desk typing up reports and alphabetising files. I've never been so relieved to leave.

You assumed race was relevant before reading that article on the basis of nothing. Of course, if you had access to that information before, that's different - but otherwise, you were just being presumptuous.
No, I didn't. I was basing my previous statement on the information that he acted at least partly due to racial comments. That would make race a factor. This just further confirms it and makes the racial role in this even more profound.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
No, I didn't. I was basing my previous statement on the information that he acted at least partly due to racial comments. That would make race a factor. This just further confirms it and makes the racial role in this even more profound.
Yes, you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather