Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2015, 06:23 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,277,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
It will also lessen your appreciation for the good things.
Nonsense. If something needs to be compared to something you hate in order be appear good, then it's not so good after all.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:24 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
Nonsense. If something needs to be compared to something you hate in order be appear good, then it's not so good after all.
Good point.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
70 indoors in summer is quite cold. I like it around 75 during the day and 67 at night. I have a sweaty back problem while sleeping and its very annoying, which is why I hate hot nights.
That's gross man. I don't see why you feel the need to disclose that type of information on here...

Old 09-25-2015, 06:27 PM

659 posts, read 899,081 times
Quote:
I couldn't comprehend living in Florida and staying sane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
I'd love to see you spend a year or two in Sinagpore. Would you go mentally insane?

Florida is the only state in the eastern U.S. that I haven't been to, and I'm in no hurry. If I was forced to go, I might be ok in January, as long as there is sufficient AC everywhere. Singapore? I wouldn't last a day in a climate like that. I would be physically ill very fast.

It makes me wonder (not for the first time) if there is some genetic predisposition to these preferences? My ancestors came to Atlantic Canada from northern Ireland and Scotland (with a little French mixed in) a few generations back. Some eventually moved to the northeastern U.S., only to eventually return to Nova Scotia.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:27 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
The point is you cannot do that without increasing your overall level of apathy.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina311 View Post
Florida is the only state in the eastern U.S. that I haven't been to, and I'm in no hurry. If I was forced to go, I might be ok in January, as long as there is sufficient AC everywhere. Singapore? I wouldn't last a day in a climate like that. I would be physically ill very fast.

It makes me wonder (not for the first time) if there is some genetic predisposition to these preferences? My ancestors came to Atlantic Canada from northern Ireland and Scotland (with a little French mixed in) a few generations back. Some eventually moved to the northeastern U.S., only to eventually return to Nova Scotia.
No, not a wild idea at all. Florida does not have the most suitable climate for Northern Europeans.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:33 PM

659 posts, read 899,081 times
Quote:
Yes, absolutely!

Fall is really a wonderful time. The good thing to keep in mind is that this is a good part of the year. We've got the best ahead of us in terms of weather and seasonality.

I do love the upcoming holidays... Halloween, Thanksgiving, Yule, New Years.
And it's all good, usually until May. I like March and April when it warms up a little and things start turning green. But when it starts to warm up more, and the sun is up a lot longer, it's almost like I start to get depressed. I'm not sure I really believe in "Seasonal Affective Disorder", but if it's a real thing, I have the opposite!

nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Why though? Surely you'd want it cooler in summer when its hot out but warmer in winter when its freezing. I prefer 70F or so all year.
Surely? The reverse sounds more comfortable to me, it would to less unpleasant temperature contrasts. First, you're not wearing the same clothing in winter as summer. The same temperature wearing long pants and a sweater isn't comfortable in shorts and a T-shirt and the reverse. Coming in on a cold day wearing several layers into an overheated room can make me sweat fast. Not fun. Reverse getting blasted by cold during the summer is experiencing a temperature I'm not that used to. You get used to warmth in the summer and cool temperatures in the winter. Unless it's really hot or I've just been exercising I don't want to be especially chilled in the summer. Too hot a room in the winter feels stuffier than in summer as the windows are closed. And the low relative humidity makes you feel parched.

The other obvious reason is costs more money to heat over in the winter rather than under — heat isn't cheap.

Not sure, my whole family is Hispanic from the tropics but I love the cold and hate hot weather...

Old 09-25-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina311 View Post

Quote:
No, not a wild idea at all. Florida does not have the most suitable climate for Northern Europeans.
We are largely descended from the prehistoric hunter-gatherers of Europe. Adaptation to cold weather is certainly a component of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather