Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 10:06 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Tallahassee and Savannah do have very similar climates. The Florida panhandle would be a great place to live. Quieter and not as many snowbirds as the peninsula.
Highs are still noticeably warmer in Tallahassee. Savannah is very similar to Mobile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 10:46 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Kill me now! Indoor ski resorts are not the same. No more walkies late at night with my boys in the falling snow??? No walkies on a crisp fall night with a full moon and crunchy leaves under our feet? That would mean that the fall colors would cease to be and there would be no more snow covered trees or long icicles hanging off of houses . Not for me.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:22 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
Which would you prefer? January weather all year or July weather all year?
July. I love the super warm ocean water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
So there's no difference between 75 F weather with low humidity and 92 F with high humidity?

Also, there's no difference between it being dry and sunny on most days and it being muggy with thunderstorms on most days?
You must not remember last winter. We had very few 75F days with low humidity. For SantaCon last year I couldn't wear my Santa dress because it was too hot.

I did however freeze my tukhus off the opening night of the South Beach Wine & Food Festival because it was so cold that night.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:31 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
July. I love the super warm ocean water.

You must not remember last winter. We had very few 75F days with low humidity. For SantaCon last year I couldn't wear my Santa dress because it was too hot.

I did however freeze my tukhus off the opening night of the South Beach Wine & Food Festival because it was so cold that night.
Yeah, because last winter was definitely not a much warmer than average winter or anything......you're going to use one winter to represent the climate of South FL?

Old 07-27-2015, 02:41 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Yeah, because last winter was definitely not a much warmer than average winter or anything......you're going to use one winter to represent the climate of South FL?
Sshhhhh! Blood pressure.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:26 PM

61,711 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Oh NO!!! What a boring perspective!
There would be no icebergs, no aurora, no fjords, no tundra, no snow, no polar bears, no winter sports, no frozen lakes, nothing to look forward to enjoy, other than heat, humidity, all year green and no seasonal colors...
The nasty insects and bugs will just thrive, and the nature would never get a break, from the same all year around tropical conditions. The Earth would be a very strange, different place. It would be hot, the atmosphere would be essentially un-breathable, and there would be relatively primitive life forms, living mostly in the cool oceans.

Thankfully this scenario is practically impossible as long as the Earth has an atmosphere similar to the one we have now.
A thick atmosphere full of greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide would do a much more effective job of retaining heat energy, so it's entirely possible that, with such atmosphere, the entire planet could have been quite hot.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:25 PM

963 posts, read 855,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Oh NO!!! What a boring perspective!
There would be no icebergs, no aurora, no fjords, no tundra, no snow, no polar bears, no winter sports, no frozen lakes, nothing to look forward to enjoy, other than heat, humidity, all year green and no seasonal colors...
The nasty insects and bugs will just thrive, and the nature would never get a break, from the same all year around tropical conditions. The Earth would be a very strange, different place. It would be hot, the atmosphere would be essentially un-breathable, and there would be relatively primitive life forms, living mostly in the cool oceans.
The places with the most biodiversity are located in the tropics
How could that be boring?

Old 07-27-2015, 04:29 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,775,010 times
I just realized that this February in Miami Beach, FL was meaningfully colder than it was in Miami, fl (10 miles inland)

Averages

Miami, FL 76/60
Miami Beach, FL 73.4/59.6
Key Biscayne, FL (My Pws) 73.1/58.9
Key Biscayne (Bill Baggs, closer to ocean) 75.5/59.5

Additionally I wonder about the exposure of the Bill Baggs thermometer as a station closer to the water with less man made influence shouldn't register highs 2F warmer than Miami Beach's and my PWS

Old 07-27-2015, 04:31 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe3797 View Post
The places with the most biodiversity are located in the tropics
How could that be boring?
Because there would be no diversity in the entire planet. I think the climate of places shapes the character of its culture somewhat. If everywhere had the same climate, no where would really have an "identity". It would be weird if Alaska and Puerto Rico were the same exact way. Plus, diseases would be rampant.

I think one of the beautiful things about planet Earth is the amount of different biomes and climates that exist. Why ruin that? It would be just as bad if all of Earth had an Arctic climate.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:10 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,277,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
I just realized that this February in Miami Beach, FL was meaningfully colder than it was in Miami, fl (10 miles inland)

Averages

Miami, FL 76/60
Miami Beach, FL 73.4/59.6
Key Biscayne, FL (My Pws) 73.1/58.9
Key Biscayne (Bill Baggs, closer to ocean) 75.5/59.5

Additionally I wonder about the exposure of the Bill Baggs thermometer as a station closer to the water with less man made influence shouldn't register highs 2F warmer than Miami Beach's and my PWS
Did you see that Key Biscayne is on NOWData now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather