Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 11:26 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I don't know about London, but when you buy a beer in Glasgow they serve it by the pint.

I also heard miles used in conversation, but don't know if that was just condescension to my American accent.
They also serve it by the pint in London, actually everywhere in the UK. In Ireland and the rest of Europe, they sell by every 33cl or 50cl

Old 08-13-2015, 11:38 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,623 times
We used to live 45 minutes from my parents in Pennsylvania.... then I got a relocation opportunity through work and jumped on it back in February and we up and moved to Las Vegas with our 2 year old daughter. I get the "guilt trip" type calls or messages all the time from my mother about how much they miss us and especially her grand-daughter. I get it... I totally do... and of course we miss them and the family. Bottom-line is we have to live our lives and can't have friends and family dictate it.

They're both retired as well and have both been out already for a visit... but at the end of the day when you live so far away there's not much you can do. Take advantage of Skype/facetime etc. as much as you can... sure it's not the same but at least you'll be able to see each other whenever you want and they can see their grand child too. Take advantage of the technology we have today... especially when you're thousands of miles away.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:45 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,257,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I think it's fine if both systems coexist because I like the "fear of a monoculture" argument, but that's quite funny coming from an american perspective.

The fact that the brits use both is another symbol of their love/hate relationship with the rest of Europe, aka the "Why be normal ?" problem.

Now I remember the time I was in London during a school trip in high school, asking someone the way to some place, and hearing that I had to turn at around 400 hundred yards.

I was like "thanks..." and then I started scratching my head.

Historical Footnote:

The meter is a product of the enlightment and the French revolution. At the time, things also changed to measure time. The day started to be cut in ten hours, the week in ten days and the months changed names according to nature. The year started at Autumn equinox. This system was used in France for about 15 years then abandoned in the beginning of the 19th century.
What do you mean by "normal"? It was us who created the Imperial measurement system, we aren't set in our ways not to conform, merely because it's our original system.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
We only really have road distances and speeds in imperial now, but we have ditched the rest. I didn't personally invent it.
Whos "we"? I think you mean you.

I can think of at least ten other things that are measured in Imperial e.g Height/weight etc.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I don't know about London, but when you buy a beer in Glasgow they serve it by the pint.

I also heard miles used in conversation, but don't know if that was just condescension to my American accent.
No. For distance we use miles and yards.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:16 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Most my family are in construction and I think it would be a huge problem to start converting all the 4 ft by 8 ft building materials, 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch pipe etc to metric.
But, our service men and women measure distance in metric and a lot of cars have both metric and Imperial units so that wouldn't be hard to switch over.
On the other hand, there is no 'metric' time measurement and everyone does just fine converting minutes to hours to days to weeks and years so that's not that much different than inches to feet to yards to miles

Old 08-13-2015, 01:00 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,405,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
They also serve it by the pint in London, actually everywhere in the UK. In Ireland and the rest of Europe, they sell by every 33cl or 50cl
In France, they serve 50cl (500ml) or a demi (25cl) whereas a pint is 568ml.. but I remember working at the bar some French people asked for 'une pinte' so they obviously use the word pint as well.. although French people tend to only drink 1/2 pints anyway!

Old 08-13-2015, 01:03 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
In France, they serve 50cl (500ml) or a demi (25cl) whereas a pint is 568ml.. but I remember working at the bar some French people asked for 'une pinte' so they obviously use the word pint as well.. although French people tend to only drink 1/2 pints anyway!
Ahh. I assumed Spain was the same as everywhere else, commonly they serve by 33cl or 50cl in Spain. I don't remember Germany, but I believe 50cl was the most common

Old 08-13-2015, 01:08 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,405,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Ahh. I assumed Spain was the same as everywhere else, commonly they serve by 33cl or 50cl in Spain. I don't remember Germany, but I believe 50cl was the most common
I don't know really.. certainly bottles beers are all 33cl, as our bottled beer is 330ml. That's another thing, beer from draft in a glass is measured in imperial, bottled beer metric over here.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:14 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
same in the US. Bottled beer is usually 330 ml or 500 ml. Soda is 2 liters and water is 500 ml.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather