Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 04:18 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
I think this should be expected. According to many global warming projections for the next future, it seems that the British Isles are going to warm up more slowly than the Mediterranean and central/eastern Europe.
But it shouldn't. 10 years ago, we were being warned of increasingly hot summers - the climate of the British Isles would warm to such a degree that all manners of subtropical species would thrive here easily.

10 years later - where are we? Well, those predictions are nowhere near to being reality - and the Met Office still insist that our summers are going to become warmer - even though they have, if anything, gotten slightly cooler over the past decade.

What is happening now, is exactly the opposite of what should have been happening, and the fact that we are so close to something exceptional, but always on the outside looking in, is the most irritating feeling. Even if it's to be expected, it doesn't stop it from being very annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 04:19 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
I think this should be expected. According to many global warming projections for the next future, it seems that the British Isles are going to warm up more slowly than the Mediterranean and central/eastern Europe.
Which is why we are all so p***sed off

Especially as using 1991-2015 data, Heathrow averages 9C/3C in winter months, 15C/6C in April and yet in the summer months the only difference is slightly higher minima.. yet everywhere else seems to be getting warmer summers!

Old 08-20-2015, 04:34 PM

The cloudiness is more noticeable - especially in August. This month could end up warmer than average here, but very cloudy - about 110 hours this month. In theory it could reach average or exceed average, but I think this week and next will be cloudy, even if warm, so I don't see that happening. We'd need to average around 7 hours in the final 11 days just to break even.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:47 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
In climates where the winter is noticeably cloudier than summer, low summer sunshine hours would be of more concern.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:26 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,353,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Sounds a lot like Alabama in the summer. And winter.

We average over 50 inches of rain a year and frequently much more than that. we get into weather patterns that last weeks, where the cloud cover is nearly constant, and the rain goes from a drip, to a tropical downpour. Daily. At 5pm.

UK weather sounds exactly like what I wouldn't be able to live with. We do have breaks in the moisture from time to time, but the Gulf of Mexico directly influences our weather much of the year.

And that is the main reason I'm looking to move to drier climates. Sorry about your August! Ours started out nice, but the past week has been nearly a total washout.
I wish we had that pattern more often during the summer.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:36 PM

13,485 posts, read 9,027,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
But it shouldn't. 10 years ago, we were being warned of increasingly hot summers - the climate of the British Isles would warm to such a degree that all manners of subtropical species would thrive here easily.

10 years later - where are we? Well, those predictions are nowhere near to being reality - and the Met Office still insist that our summers are going to become warmer - even though they have, if anything, gotten slightly cooler over the past decade.

What is happening now, is exactly the opposite of what should have been happening, and the fact that we are so close to something exceptional, but always on the outside looking in, is the most irritating feeling. Even if it's to be expected, it doesn't stop it from being very annoying.
I don't think anyone ever said it was going to warm within 10 years, I remember 50+ years being quoted some years back...

And the world is still warming, but to counter that there is localised cooling too, it isn't just the UK this is happening to but all over the world. Records are being broken all the time for both heat & cold, but the general trend is still a warming one. Climate change isn't as simple as just getting warmer, it is about more extremes & more erratic weather, which is exactly what has been happening. Unfortunately if you are wanting hot summers in the UK it more than likely isn't going to happen in your lifetime...

Old 08-21-2015, 02:48 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,870 times
If you want warm to hot summers and you live in the UK, you live in the wrong country.
This thread is completely pointless. We've always had this rotation of good summers, bad summers, average summers. We don't live in Southern Europe. You can't expect warmth and consistently good weather in this country, you just can't.

If you want/expect nice summer weather, then you're gonna have to pack your bags.
Flaming Galah had the right idea, although if I'm being honest, Malta seems even a bit too hot and consistently humid for me. Still infinitely better though IMO.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I don't think anyone ever said it was going to warm within 10 years, I remember 50+ years being quoted some years back...

And the world is still warming, but to counter that there is localised cooling too, it isn't just the UK this is happening to but all over the world. Records are being broken all the time for both heat & cold, but the general trend is still a warming one. Climate change isn't as simple as just getting warmer, it is about more extremes & more erratic weather, which is exactly what has been happening. Unfortunately if you are wanting hot summers in the UK it more than likely isn't going to happen in your lifetime...
That's not much consolation I'm afraid. I don't even care if summers get warmer - but I don't want them to get cooler either, and I don't want to live in one of the
few places where the climate is getting worse. Why must other places warm up rapidly within a decade while this country barely changes at all?

We had rubbish, cloudy and often wet summers from 2007 to 2012. 2013 and 2014 were nice and now we have yet another substandard summer. You can't tell me this is normal. We had lovely summers from 1990 to 2006 - and that isn't just rose tinted specs. No, we don't live in southern Europe, but you simply cannot deny that we have had to endure a succession of lousy summers.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 08-21-2015 at 02:56 PM..

Old 08-21-2015, 04:32 PM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post

1911, 1928, 1976 and 1990...

Old 08-21-2015, 05:16 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather