Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate is more typically oceanic?
Paris, France 16 38.10%
Vancouver, Canada 26 61.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 06:24 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times

Advertisements

Vancouver has a relatively dry summer though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 07:37 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
Not really representative of the city as a whole as that station is at SFU which is at the top of Burnaby Mountain. It's of course going to be colder and snowier than lower elevations and places further from the mountains

Old 08-24-2015, 07:45 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Perhaps uniform rainfall, shouldn't be used in the description of Cfb climates?
Not sure. Perhaps not removed, but maybe less stock should be taken in that part of the description of an oceanic climate?

I would say oceanic climates like Vancouver, Paris, or Dublin would be more known for factors other than uniformity in precipitation, such as winter gloominess for example. I'm certainly not ignoring the notable spread in Vancouver's precipitation patterns, but I would still be hesitant to describe it as Mediterranean. Perhaps another one of those borderline cases. What stands out the most in oceanic climates?

Old 08-24-2015, 09:06 PM

753 posts, read 838,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
There's still plenty of rain during the summer here. Except this one.
Not really, though. May and June were record-setting dry this year but July and August have been pretty standard (July was actually wetter this year than the previous two).

The yellow grass, water restrictions, forest fires in the interior, etc. are all pretty normal most years, they're just worse this year than usual because May and June were extremely dry rather than moderately wet like usual.

Sunshine and dryness are the norm out here in the summer. Even when we do get wetter months most of the rain tends to come down in a few days with the rest of the month still being quite dry.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:21 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Not sure. Perhaps not removed, but maybe less stock should be taken in that part of the description of an oceanic climate?

I would say oceanic climates like Vancouver, Paris, or Dublin would be more known for factors other than uniformity in precipitation, such as winter gloominess for example. I'm certainly not ignoring the notable spread in Vancouver's precipitation patterns, but I would still be hesitant to describe it as Mediterranean. Perhaps another one of those borderline cases. What stands out the most in oceanic climates?
I think of a climate like mine, where polar and subtropical weather systems are frequent at any time of the year - warm humid weather should be common during winter and cold dry air flow common during summer. That seems like the true Oceanic climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningrise View Post
Not really, though. May and June were record-setting dry this year but July and August have been pretty standard (July was actually wetter this year than the previous two).

The yellow grass, water restrictions, forest fires in the interior, etc. are all pretty normal most years, they're just worse this year than usual because May and June were extremely dry rather than moderately wet like usual.

Sunshine and dryness are the norm out here in the summer. Even when we do get wetter months most of the rain tends to come down in a few days with the rest of the month still being quite dry.
Similar to here 3-4 inch average rainfall for each summer month, but heavy downpours means most just runs off.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:29 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,277,039 times
Quote:
I think of a climate like mine, where polar and subtropical weather systems are frequent at any time of the year - warm humid weather should be common during winter and cold dry air flow common during summer. That seems like the true Oceanic climate.
Why would air flow be warm in winter and cold in summer?

Old 08-24-2015, 09:42 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,183,689 times
Vancouver. It's a typical "oceanic" climate, albeit with a bit of Mediterranean influence. Paris is a little warm in summer to be completely "oceanic." It's an oceanic climate, but with some continental influence.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:40 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
Why would air flow be warm in winter and cold in summer?
It's a mixture of the two, all year round. The cold fronts never stop and nor do the subtropical lows.

If an Oceanic climate doesn't get that, then it's just a wannabe.

Last edited by Joe90; 08-24-2015 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: Spelt "if" wrongly, and wanted to rectify it. Is this interrogation really necessary?

Old 08-24-2015, 11:55 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
It's a mixture of the two, all year round. The cold fronts never stop and nor do the subtropical lows.

If an Oceanic climate doesn't get that, then it's just a wannabe.
Other than in NZ, what would be some examples of a quintessential oceanic climate to you?

Old 08-25-2015, 12:21 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Other than in NZ, what would be some examples of a quintessential oceanic climate to you?
I would say Dublin, Reykjavík, and Glasgow are the most quintessential oceanic climate IMO with their chilly summers, cold-but-not-quite-enough-to-snow-regularly in winter, low sunshine hours, and evenly distributed rainfall throughout the year falling as mostly cold overcast drizzle (lots of rain days but low totals for the day, low sunshine hours, lack of thunderstorms, and low standard deviation).

As for the original question, I'd say Paris is more classically oceanic than Vancouver but still gets pretty decent summers for its latitude; June, July, and August average highs are actually warmer than Santa Monica and LAX!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather