Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think any major city in Australia has a real winter?
Yes 41 42.71%
No 55 57.29%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 02:32 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,877,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
One standard is whether the city in question has snowplows.

Last edited by volosong; 12-29-2020 at 07:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 02:34 AM

1,224 posts, read 723,156 times
Again.... there are different interpretations of the seasons, indeed.....cold, temperate, subtropical and tropical, in Australia.
Aussies regard anywhere you need to wear a jacket, hoodie, jumper, longs etc as being cold....that is.... winter.
Anywhere that suffers frosts and the once in a blue moon snowfalls, let alone semi regular seasonal snowfalls ( ie Orange, Ballarat, Armidale, Katoomba, Cooma, Central Highlands Tasmania ) we think of as winter hell holes and wouldn't dream of living there....lol !

Old 12-30-2020, 04:48 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Or rather, any place that gets regular ice days and a lasting snowpack, of which the interior of Antarctica is certainly an example.
I understand that you like very cold climates and that's perfectly fine. But wouldn't a winter that usually make you feel a little chilly be "real" (even if it isn't your 'ideal' winter)? Now I'm not sure how you typically dress in a NYC winter, but if you usually wear a coat, gloves and a beanie, then that has to be a real winter for you because you're feeling the chill, right? Even if it's "warmer" than your preferred winter. Though if you usually dress with just a sweater (and no layers), don't wear coats much and hell, maybe wear a T-shirt in some winter days in NYC, then maybe you can say NYC's winters (and its equivalents) are not "real" because you don't overclothe or dress warmly. So, how do you actually dress in your winters?

It's just that, in my opinion, for someone to say "this ain't a real winter" you gotta at least dress in more spring or summer clothes in that area in its wintertime to prove or make your point.

P.S. London's and Paris's summers are somewhat cool for me, but I would still say they're real either way because I know I'd probably dress in summer clothing most of the time there in that season, even if they're not my ideal summers.

Old 12-30-2020, 12:35 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,457,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Now I'm not sure how you typically dress in a NYC winter, but if you usually wear a coat, gloves and a beanie

Well that's just the thing. I don't wear any of that stuff, as it's overkill for 3C weather. My dressing style is indeed uniform throughout the year (admittedly some of the colder winter days feel a bit chilly, but certainly still manageable). That's exactly why I don't consider my climate to have "real" winters.

Old 12-19-2023, 09:33 AM

41 posts, read 14,804 times
Canberra,considering it is southern hemisphere, those temps are "too cold" compared with the rest of the country
I feel like Australia is very similar to mexico, all sea level cities have temps above freezing during winter even if some of them are temperate, in Chihuahua temps are easily above 10 °C in mid winter, but cold fronts are very powerful in the country, making temps go below -20 ° C in the dessert and northern Sierra Madre forests.
If Australia had land connections with Antarctica that could probably make cities much more continental, usually the larger landmass location influences its climate, North america its mostly in the temperate zone, creating aggressive cold fronts, Australia and africa are mostly tropical-subtropical, making the opposite with very intense heat waves.
Europe has a huge moderaing effect from west and south, so they most ofbtheir cities still too mild, 50N and average winter still above freezing, only eastern and northern europe have real winters.

Old 12-19-2023, 10:02 AM

972 posts, read 322,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
I understand that you like very cold climates and that's perfectly fine. But wouldn't a winter that usually make you feel a little chilly be "real" (even if it isn't your 'ideal' winter)? Now I'm not sure how you typically dress in a NYC winter, but if you usually wear a coat, gloves and a beanie, then that has to be a real winter for you because you're feeling the chill, right? Even if it's "warmer" than your preferred winter. Though if you usually dress with just a sweater (and no layers), don't wear coats much and hell, maybe wear a T-shirt in some winter days in NYC, then maybe you can say NYC's winters (and its equivalents) are not "real" because you don't overclothe or dress warmly. So, how do you actually dress in your winters?

It's just that, in my opinion, for someone to say "this ain't a real winter" you gotta at least dress in more spring or summer clothes in that area in its wintertime to prove or make your point.

P.S. London's and Paris's summers are somewhat cool for me, but I would still say they're real either way because I know I'd probably dress in summer clothing most of the time there in that season, even if they're not my ideal summers

I get what your saying...but I think that many of us forget how subjective "cold" or "hot" is not only from one person to the next, but one country to the next.

Here in the states, in the desert cities like Phoenix, Las Vegas, Palm Springs, ...etc where the average summer high temps are in the 39 - 41 C range (102 - 106 F), a city like London or Paris with average highs of 21 - 22 C (72 F) would not feel anything like summer. Think of just the sun intensity in summer between these locations. Desert air is clear most often.

Moisture (humidity) also plays a role as well, in subtropical cities like New Orleans or Orlando where the average summer highs are in the 33 C range, the dew point temps in the 25 - 26 C range making it feel like a jungle (34 C ). lol. A summer day in Paris that is 22 C with a dew point of 13 C would not feel at all like summer, more like late fall or early winter to people in subtropical climates.

The same goes for cold. Though I've never been there in winter, parts of the the western provinces of Canada have gone to -40 C in winter, compare that to 0 C in winter in London or Paris. They are totally different.

I think we forget that sensible weather conditions (how we 'feel the weather) is very subjective.

Old 12-19-2023, 10:41 AM

41 posts, read 14,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
New York city and Boston might not qualify.
Yeah this view is flawed, also because decent snowpack depends of much more things.
Many warmer subtropical cities in the US or Japan receive more snow than northern german cities, while central asia with severe continental climates barely get snowy winters due to very low precipitation.
I think that humid places can get decent snowy winters (without having to stay in the ground) at 0°C (33 °F) and temperatures will stay around that range more frequently.
Dry places need to at least averages below that, since that dry weather will make winter highs and lows more extreme, places like Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Montana in US will get higher sunlight than most Mediterranean cities, foggy cloudy winters are not important in my opinion.
We are talking about perfectly distributed seasons and that is quite difficult to translate in real life, it needs to be a deeply continental location that receives enough moisture, so maybe places in the midwest

Last edited by Galilei; 12-19-2023 at 10:54 AM..

Old 12-19-2023, 11:10 AM

638 posts, read 349,440 times
To have a real winter I think you have to occasionally get snow at a minimum.

Old 12-20-2023, 07:04 AM

2,932 posts, read 1,312,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
I agree

Old 12-20-2023, 05:25 PM

1,224 posts, read 723,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
So by that criteria, even Queensland has 'real' winters...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather