Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 07:25 AM

42 posts, read 50,789 times

Advertisements

Since I was a child, I've always thought that the word "climate" only defined as the air that just above the landmass, why it can't be above the water? If so, the climate will like Maldives, Midway or Attu Station? I think it would be interesting!
p.s. I've always dreamed about a "Global Surface Climate Classification" map, The recent one seems incomplete for lacking ocean areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2023, 12:21 AM

524 posts, read 485,085 times

Maps like this (this is Trewartha by the way) exist, but they aren't always easy to find. I downloaded this on an old laptop 8 years ago from somewhere

Old 02-17-2023, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyche_da_mike24 View Post

Maps like this (this is Trewartha by the way) exist, but they aren't always easy to find. I downloaded this on an old laptop 8 years ago from somewhere
Wow! That's amazing for such a map like that, but it looked like a little old, Don't know why this concept perished in recent days?

Old 02-17-2023, 08:21 AM

1,503 posts, read 913,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chobolo Swich View Post
Wow! That's amazing for such a map like that, but it looked like a little old, Don't know why this concept perished in recent days?
I don't think it went away, I think it's just that people aren't as interested in climates over the sea. They're more difficult to measure too. Rainfall isn't as relevant as there is no agriculture and no terrestrial biospheres, it will have an influence on seawater salinity but the differences produced between say a hot desert and tropical rainforest climate over the sea won't be nearly as noticeable.

Old 02-17-2023, 08:46 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,059,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chobolo Swich View Post
Well...it can't be that old ...it shows Ukraine as a country ...not part of the USSR

Really cool map...amazing how sharp the ocean climate boundaries are in the far siuthern oceans
near Antarctica.

Old 02-17-2023, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
I don't think it went away, I think it's just that people aren't as interested in climates over the sea. They're more difficult to measure too. Rainfall isn't as relevant as there is no agriculture and no terrestrial biospheres, it will have an influence on seawater salinity but the differences produced between say a hot desert and tropical rainforest climate over the sea won't be nearly as noticeable.
Yeah, maybe knowledge just served for people's benefit on most circumstances, yet "SSC" is as important as "LSC" (or more) in my opinion. Given that sea surface takes 2X more surface area than land surface.

Old 03-03-2023, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
Well...it can't be that old ...it shows Ukraine as a country ...not part of the USSR

Really cool map...amazing how sharp the ocean climate boundaries are in the far siuthern oceans
near Antarctica.
Also doesn't have South Sudan so it has to be from the 90s or 00s.

Yeah the transition between 8 months >10 C (this is Trewartha) and 0 months > 10 C occurs within a 5-degree band between the longitudes of South Africa and westernmost Australia, with the area between [the longitudes of] South Africa and Madagascar being especially sharp and close to the equator.

Old 03-03-2023, 06:04 AM

1,503 posts, read 913,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyche_da_mike24 View Post
Also doesn't have South Sudan so it has to be from the 90s or 00s.

Yeah the transition between 8 months >10 C (this is Trewartha) and 0 months > 10 C occurs within a 5-degree band between the longitudes of South Africa and westernmost Australia, with the area between [the longitudes of] South Africa and Madagascar being especially sharp and close to the equator.
It looks as though the closest to the Equator is in the south central to south east Atlantic, but the sharpest gradient is in the south east Indian Ocean. It's probably linked to tropical climates extending especially far south in that region, which probably leads to reduced seasonal variation in temperature and therefore the 8 months >10C and 0 months >10C limits being close together.

There are a few odd things in this map though, such as rainforest and desert climates directly bordering each other in the central Pacific and north east Indian Ocean.

Old 03-03-2023, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
There are a few odd things in this map though, such as rainforest and desert climates directly bordering each other in the central Pacific and north east Indian Ocean.
The map uses a generic BM category instead of BS and BW across oceans, not really sure why. I assume the B climates bordering Af climates thing is a quirk of Trewartha’s A climate classification.

Old 03-18-2023, 03:21 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
One thing that I wonder is how climates work UNDER the sea...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather