Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 12:48 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Snowplows, mechanical lawnmowers? People really buy these?
Of course they do. Don't they sell snowblowers over in Finland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 12:50 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Of course they do. Don't they sell snowblowers over in Finland?
No. Muscle power here.

This is our tool:

Old 10-09-2015, 12:55 PM

^^ LOL. It's 2015, not 1950.

I've never operated a snowblower myself, although it sure looks like fun.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:03 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Lol. Yeah, I dont want a snowblower. I like the workout and I have a lot to shovel. I admit sometimes gets overwhelming but its fun!!

I cant believe some people actually buy riding lawn mowers for a tiny yard. Wtf. Just push a mower and stop being lazy!

Old 10-09-2015, 01:26 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
^^ LOL. It's 2015, not 1950.

I've never operated a snowblower myself, although it sure looks like fun.
I actually like plowing snow manually, it's bloody good exercise! Even in subfreezing temperatures I have to take my jacket off, and even roll up my sleeves if it's above freezing. You'll see me in a cap, gloves and a light pullover every Christmas when I'm home. I always volunteer for snowplowing if there's snow on the ground in the first place. Beats vacuuming, laundring or making christmas tarts. If it's a snowless Christmas I have to do some decorating, chop onions or be a courier. No, shoveling snow is awesome!

Old 10-09-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I actually like plowing snow manually, it's bloody good exercise! Even in subfreezing temperatures I have to take my jacket off, and even roll up my sleeves if it's above freezing. You'll see me in a cap, gloves and a light pullover every Christmas when I'm home. I always volunteer for snowplowing if there's snow on the ground in the first place. Beats vacuuming, laundring or making christmas tarts. If it's a snowless Christmas I have to do some decorating, chop onions or be a courier. No, shoveling snow is awesome!
I'd enjoy doing that too, if we actually got snow to shovel.

When is the next ice age gonna start? I'm getting tired of waiting...lol.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:38 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
When it's 8:30am even with the sun up in the sky shining down and it's only mid-upper 40s you know you're in the better season.

Got an extra pep to my step today! My internal Batteries recharging nicely!

Old 10-10-2015, 07:14 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
The damage was actually caused by flash floods. That storm dropped 7 inches in a couple hours at a nearby weather station, so, with the hilly terrain, water levels rose quickly.
Intense storm, and rather sad storm there. Terrain must have made the flood damage worse.

Quote:
His insurer was probably thrilled by the news too!
Even if the car survived, it probably was badly water damaged? Has a better chance of surviving since it got flooded by fresh rather than salt water, which destroyed lots of cars in Hurricane Sandy. A Bentley was seen floating on a Manhattan street after Sandy. Could afford the car, but couldn't afford (or be bothered) to garage it. Though ground or underground garage would have been just as bad or worse.

Quote:
Update from the nearby mountains. There are snow patches above 1,800 m (5,900 feet).
Hard to tell, snow doesn't look that fresh. Nice mountain photos, impressively jagged peak in:

Spoiler

Were these photos from a drive, then hike? Or a bike ride?

Quote:
Wanted to hike up the mountain in the background before the first snow. Looks like I'll have to wait till next summer.
Little bit of snow shouldn't stop you.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:33 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
LMAO at checking CD and seeing my complaints.
My post here should have been a clue I was not home:

//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...sphere-77.html

You complained at 6 am that the dewpoints felt like July, how the recent cooldown wasn't enough for you. Saw a later post at 1 pm, remarking on the quick dryness. It must have taken longer for the drier air to filter in to you, and at 2000 feet the dewpoints were never as high, relative humidity was high.

Quote:
Would have thought more colors would be around but I guess assumed not this year.
Remember these were taken Sep 19-21, I thought there was a decent amount of color though it's still on the late side.

Quote:
Love the summaries all the time. I do read each word.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Narrow valleys surrounded by very steep mountainsides wouldn't work as well as flat one with more gentle terrain, other factors being equal. The portion of visible sky will be less and more infrared will be re-radiated towards the ground instead of just being lost in space. Drainage area would be an important factor. Are there closed frost hollows in the Northeast? I assume there are no limestone soils, so no (limestone allows for water infiltration into the ground, creating depressions).
Interesting. That must explain partly why Saranac Lake gets colder night temperatures than the White Mountain notches. Drainage are as in the area at the valley bottom for cold air to pool? So limestone soils would promote frost hollows? I don't know much about them.

I liked those photos, but I don't think I would have chosen them as my favorites. I've noticed that before, a few photos I even considered skipping over someone comments was their favorite.

Quote:
How many miles was the ride? I heard about a 122 mile ride on another thread, but it wasn't in September. Another one?
185 miles, but spread out over three days.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:44 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,804,442 times

cold today. 9C and mostly clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather