Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2015, 06:05 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
tall pines

all these pics were taken today also

None of your pics are visible. Just an x marks the spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 06:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Didn't the poster say those photos were taken 3 weeks ago??
Here's some from October 12. No one could mistake them for being recent.

Mt. Lafayette / Franconia Ridge

October 12, 2015
Summit Elevation: 5249'
Elevation gain: 3969'
Calories Burned: 1,472 calories if app is accurate
Time up to Summit: 3hr45min
Time back down to car: 3hr
Total miles hiked: 8.4 miles [it's a loop]. 6hr35min, including one hour of stops, started at 10:30 AM
Temperature: high in the low 70s in the valley; maybe upper 50s by the summit

Drive up had the usual Connecticut River valley fair weather early morning fog

More windshield photos:

Spoiler
some leaves changing on the way

Almost to the trailhead:

Waterfalls in the first mile of trail

Spoiler

Long, steep boring stretch. Now above treeline:

Mt. Washington in the distance to the east:

Spoiler

Neat rock:

Spine of the ridge, almost 2 miles of ridge. What a great day for it. Looking back at what I had done.

Onward towards Lafayette:

Some alpine vegetation was at peak:

More was past peak:

Almost to the top of Lafayette:

Perfect weather, holiday weekend...lots of hikers. Crowds were excessive; I'm not expecting solitude on Franconia Ridge (might be the most popular big mountain hike in the Northeast), but stop for 15 seconds and another person is right behind you? A third of the hikers were French-speaking. They tended to be loud and travel in larger groups. Found afterwards it was Canadian Thanksgiving. Looking east, that's Bondcliff. Big area of roadless, undeveloped land there:

summit of Lafeyette:

same view, same hike early March:

Spoiler

To the west and northwest has roads and towns. Lots of red foliage down below, but the mountain summits aren't the best place to see fall foliage:

looking back at the ridge:

Spoiler

Big Granite face of Cannon Cliffs remind me of something from California or another western mountainous area rather something usually found in the Northeast:

Looking at the window from inside the hut:

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DyttfC3j4X4/V****3fOp-I/AAAAAAAAM98/-P0SVL-rMII/s640-Ic42/IMG_2393.JPG[/IMG]

Looking back up to Lafayette & the ridge:

red berries:

similar view, early March:

Spoiler

some close-ups of the trees:

No more views now under the trees the whole time. Down to the elevation of deciduous trees with foliage.

Now down to the level of no colorful foliage. That was quick

That sea of red trees was even lower in elevation. Above photo taken around 2100 feet. I read somewhere that the lowest elevations were changing sooner than a bit higher up; warm September confused trees. Perhaps a bit less radiational cooling and milder nights higher up? Back near the stream where I started the hike, loop complete

Among the best foliage was at the parking lot

Canon Cliffs again

Spoiler

Same hike in early March, all photos:

//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...l#post38795578

Last edited by nei; 11-26-2015 at 01:05 PM..

Old 11-23-2015, 06:35 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
None of your pics are visible. Just an x marks the spot.
I spent a while uploading them and they did appear and now you are right only an x marks the spot . Huh I'm new to this picture uploading game. I'll figure it out tomorrow I did upload 2 of the pics in my album though on my profile. U would have enjoyed the pics.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:23 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
By 4°C I mean 850 hPa temps as a reply to Cambium's post. Such mid altitude temps aren't all that rare in northern France in summer.
Hmmmm, We may be onto something then with the seasonal mid Altitude temps? Or maybe it's late right now & I'm contradicting myself. lol

But to hear 4C isn't rare in Summer there is interesting! Here's Buffalo. You can see in Summer it's on the extreme side to get to 5C or lower. In July it never happens, only a couple of times on record. Normal is above 10C at that level.

So perhaps... maybe.....I wonder... if the reason why our sky looks Summerish to you is because .... I don't know.. I give up. LOL

Old 11-23-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Here's some from October 12. No one could mistake them for being recent.

Mt. Lafayette / Franconia Ridge

October 12, 2015
Summit Elevation: 5249'
Elevation gain: 3969'
Calories Burned: 1,472 calories if app is accurate
Time up to Summit: 3hr45min
Time back down to car: 3hr
Total miles hiked: 8.4 miles [it's a loop]. 6hr35min, including one hour of stops, started at 10:30 AM
Temperature: high in the low 70s in the valley; maybe upper 50s by the summit
That looks like a perfect hike to that elevation! Nice gain, nice timing. Too bad its a 10 hour round trip drive for me. That's waaaay too warm for me to hike. The 50s must of been refreshing but I'd have a heat stroke before I got up there. LOL! Thats a lot of Calories. Hope you were replenishing yourself and feeding some fuel to your muscles.

Quote:

Fav

Quote:

Drive up had the usual Connecticut River valley fair weather early morning fog
Cool.. I bet the locals know that turn and the usual fog the river causes, outsiders driving through might get surprised. Especially at night.

Quote:
Spine of the ridge, almost 2 miles of ridge. What a great day for it. Looking back at what I had done.
You ever look back and say... where the heck is my car (or Bike) . Feels like you hiked for a week looking back and not seeing anything but wilderness.

Quote:
Some alpine vegetation was at peak:
More was past peak:
Ok, now that's awesome and I wonder why more vegetation is there at the peak, then Mt Marcy in the Adirondacks. Mt Marcy was pretty bare and they have been protecting it not sure for how long. Doesn't seem like things grow too fast but wonder why it hadn't even before telling hikers to stay off.
Actually there was a little but seems like Lafayette was more. Here's Marcy vegetation at 4000'. 5000' got pretty bare.

Quote:
Perfect weather, holiday weekend...lots of hikers. Crowds were excessive; I'm not expecting solitude on Franconia Ridge (might be the most popular big mountain hike in the Northeast), but stop for 15 seconds and another person is right behind you?
Lucky with the views unlike me who decides to go hiking up into a front. lol Lafayette is Waaaay too crowded.. No thanks. I was getting annoyed when someone would catch up after 5 minutes let alone 15 seconds. The sign in book was full, Park Ranger said Marcy gets a lot of traffic but I went on a Monday and started very early. It's nice to be alone in the Adirondacks. Passed only 5 people going up, nobody passed us. On the way back is when we encountered more humans but not as bad as Greylock or Algonquin that time. Marcy felt very isolated.

Quote:
Big Granite face of Cannon Cliffs remind me of something from California or another western mountainous area rather something usually found in the Northeast:
Nice Granite! Did you cut out a piece for your Kitchen?

Quote:
similar view, early March:
Hmmm, March looks the exact same to a T. Fix image would like to see March. lol

Quote:
Above photo taken around 2100 feet. I read somewhere that the lowest elevations were changing sooner than a bit higher up; warm September confused trees. Perhaps a bit less radiational cooling and milder nights higher up?
Hmmm. Wonder why. Would lack of moisture down low vs mountain ground moisture have something to do with it too? Not sure.

Nice Photos but I do think you need to head to the ADK's instead and do a comparison opinion. Try Algonquin.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
That looks like a perfect hike to that elevation! Nice gain, nice timing. Too bad its a 10 hour round trip drive for me. That's waaaay too warm for me to hike. The 50s must of been refreshing but I'd have a heat stroke before I got up there. LOL! Thats a lot of Calories. Hope you were replenishing yourself and feeding some fuel to your muscles.
Only a 4.5 hour round trip from Boston, that's why it's popular. Other reason is the long stretch above treeline and the above treeline isn't a pile of rock hopping like Mt. Washington and the northern Presidentials. Notice the trail doesn't look rough?

Way too warm for you? You did hotter and a lot more humid in your Mt. Marcy hike. Mt. Washington was 50°F with a dewpoint of 42°F when I was at the top of Lafayette; so maybe 5°F warmer on Lafayette. Was about 62°F when I started the hike, dewpoints stayed in the upper 40s further down. Huge difference from the humid hikes I did in the Whites at the beginning of September. The west side of Lafayette just below the summit is a wind magnet, windier than the summit and ridge itself. When I hiked in March, I purposefully hike the loop the reverse direction, so I'd have the wind on my back as I climbed Lafayette and got the most exposed section of the hike out of the way.

Not that many calories. The ride I did 5 days earlier burned three times more calories, if the app is accurate.

Quote:
Cool.. I bet the locals know that turn and the usual fog the river causes, outsiders driving through might get surprised. Especially at night.
Sometimes longer stretches of the road is covered in fog.

Quote:
You ever look back and say... where the heck is my car (or Bike) . Feels like you hiked for a week looking back and not seeing anything but wilderness.
Well, looking to the west, you can see I-93 and further off a town.

Quote:
Lucky with the views unlike me who decides to go hiking up into a front. lol Lafayette is Waaaay too crowded.. No thanks. I was getting annoyed when someone would catch up after 5 minutes let alone 15 seconds. The sign in book was full, Park Ranger said Marcy gets a lot of traffic but I went on a Monday and started very early. It's nice to be alone in the Adirondacks. Passed only 5 people going up, nobody passed us. On the way back is when we encountered more humans but not as bad as Greylock or Algonquin that time. Marcy felt very isolated.
Franconia Ridge isn't a good hike for isolation. But when I went up on a weekday in March, no one was on the ridge. A few other people were going down as I was going up, ridge itself was empty. Two people were going up onto Lafayette at the same time but turned around.

Greylock feels wild in its immediate surroundings but you can see towns close by; different feel than the bigger peaks up north. Trail isn't that busy, but the parking lot at the top is a big contrast.

Quote:
Nice Granite! Did you cut out a piece for your Kitchen?
lol

Quote:
Hmmm, March looks the exact same to a T. Fix image would like to see March. lol
It's the same sign, took the photo from a different angle.

Quote:
Nice Photos but I do think you need to head to the ADK's instead and do a comparison opinion. Try Algonquin.
I'll give it a try next year. Might be winter/early spring or summer.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
. Notice the trail doesn't look rough?

Way too warm for you? You did hotter and a lot more humid in your Mt. Marcy hike.

It's the same sign, took the photo from a different angle.
Yeah, not too rocky. All I can say is, get good shoes for the ADK. And workout your ankles starting now. Lol

You said 70s was the temp. Thats warm. I dont think it was 70s for my hike. Dont even remember now but definitely not warmer. Above 65 is warm for me to hike and I would prefer not to but something thats planned sometimes no choice. I would cancel trip if it was above 75 for sure.

Hmmm, your spoiler says "similar view early March" but its the same exact photo as the photo right before.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:49 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I spent a while uploading them and they did appear and now you are right only an x marks the spot . Huh I'm new to this picture uploading game. I'll figure it out tomorrow I did upload 2 of the pics in my album though on my profile. U would have enjoyed the pics.

Put your photos on photobucket. You can get a free account. Then copy the share link for the photo from photobucket and use the "insert image" icon in your post. Paste the share link from photobucket and your image will appear in the post. It's easy.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
You said 70s was the temp. Thats warm. I dont think it was 70s for my hike. Dont even remember now but definitely not warmer. Above 65 is warm for me to hike and I would prefer not to but something thats planned sometimes no choice. I would cancel trip if it was above 75 for sure.
Hmm. Maybe I wasn't clear. 70s was the valley temperature down below. High was 76°F, may have been the warmest day in October. But most of the hike I was nowhere near that temperature since I was much higher in elevation, maybe low 60s most of the time, 55°F at the coolest spots on the ridge. Too long since I remember what I was wearing, think I had a jacket part of the time, shorts and a T-shirt more of the time.

Quote:
Hmmm, your spoiler says "similar view early March" but its the same exact photo as the photo right before.
I'll fix it tomorrow. Ugh, it got late.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:51 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Put your photos on photobucket. You can get a free account. Then copy the share link for the photo from photobucket and use the "insert image" icon in your post. Paste the share link from photobucket and your image will appear in the post. It's easy.
thanks ill try to upload a couple of pics that way now and the rest after I get home later in the afternoon. this forum should really have a how to thread, like how to make those Wikipedia weather tables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather