Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 05:07 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times

Advertisements

I have to say OC has one of the best climate in the country. And there really isn't any other place in the country with better weather. I live in Miami, and would love to swap places with you any day, just for the weather there. I am looking to leave Miami basically because of the weather (in the last 10 years it has been warmer longer for instance it never was in the 80's in January and February) The Carolinas (with the exceptions of the mountains in the west to some extent) can get hot and humid in the summer months just like Florida. But its only for 4-5 months where in Florida its more like 8 months of hot and humid weather. Parts of the Carolinas last year actually hit 100, so they get hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyRanger View Post
Thank you all for your replies. I've actually been looking into the Carolina's. Don't they still have fairly cold winters and humid summers when compared to Southern California? Is this the closest I'd find to Southern California weather (with the exception to possibly Florida but I'd think the humidity is quite a bit higher in Florida.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 09:12 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,180,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyRanger View Post
Thank you all for your replies. I've actually been looking into the Carolina's. Don't they still have fairly cold winters and humid summers when compared to Southern California? Is this the closest I'd find to Southern California weather (with the exception to possibly Florida but I'd think the humidity is quite a bit higher in Florida.)

On the East Coast, Carolinas are probably the nicest weather you will find. All the Eastern states have a trade-off between mild winters and hot summers or cold winters and pleasant summers... the Carolinas are probably the best balance. Unfortunately it won't be quite as nice as So Cal, but a lot better than places further north.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:18 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,180,425 times
I just thought of something. Check out Asheville, NC. They have pretty mild weather b/c they are in the mountains. I have never been there but my friends have and they say it is a beautiful place... in the fall when the leaves change colors it is supposedly amazing.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:18 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,197 times
Hilton Head, South Carolina is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter than places further inland. Try looking into places on the coast from Cape May, New Jersey to Hilton Head, South Carolina and places in between. The coast moderates the climate so it is warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. North of Cape May would be too cold and south of Hilton Head would probably be too hot and humid for your tastes.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:26 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,613,373 times
I always liked Isle of the Palms, SC and Outer Banks, NC! We used to vacation in Isle of the Palms before it got "cutesy", condos and all. Outer Banks changed, too I was surprised when I went there.

It was awesome in the fall, I'd be in the water, locals would have their sweat suits on, warm clothes, me in a swim suit!!! Years ago there were great small motels with kitchenettes, mom and pop places, long gone now.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:41 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,118,347 times
Coastal Orange County? That's like 50's in the winter and 60's / 70's in the summer, right?

Won't find anything like it on the East Coast. Sorry.

Anything south of coastal Maine is going to be hotter in the summer...and by the time you get to New York (or even further north) you're looking at hot and humid summers compared to the O.C. Moving further south just makes the heat and humidity last longer. Likewise, you'll find similar winters in coastal South Carolina or Georgia, but they're really hot and humid in the summer. Moving north you'll get colder and colder (though the Atlantic Coast is remarkably wild winter-wise compared to the Midwest).

The most moderate East Coast climate, I'm guessing, is coastal Southern Florida. It's humid, but not THAT hot. And it stays warm in the winter.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:35 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
It depends on where in Florida in te summer becasue if you live on teh neach the bressze wil make it seem much cooler even with the humidity. Its not like being stuck inland with no breeze really.Even here in texas many summers heat on the coast is easier to atke as long as there is a cool breeze coming form offshore/ Of course that is what coastal southern claifornia has that keeps it coll and low hunidty so much. Get away from the cost and its can be flat hot or too far north kind of chilly.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:02 AM

2 posts, read 30,574 times
I also want to move out of California, I don't want to wait for the Big one. It's moving a lot along the ring of fire. So the east cost is what seems to be the best to avoid earthquacks but I am concerned about humidity and hurricanes. I was thinking of Rhode Island, but I heard of hurricanes. Is all the east cost humid? I need to see water, so what about inland, not too far from the ocean but far enough from hurricanes? But what about mosquitos near lakes? I would love to find a sunny town, affordable, safe, with things to do, attractions (or close by), cultural, scenery, kids friendly, well probably a dream.... Thanks a lot for any info.
Thanks.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:15 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,798,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianef20 View Post
I also want to move out of California, I don't want to wait for the Big one. It's moving a lot along the ring of fire. So the east cost is what seems to be the best to avoid earthquacks but I am concerned about humidity and hurricanes. I was thinking of Rhode Island, but I heard of hurricanes. Is all the east cost humid? I need to see water, so what about inland, not too far from the ocean but far enough from hurricanes? But what about mosquitos near lakes? I would love to find a sunny town, affordable, safe, with things to do, attractions (or close by), cultural, scenery, kids friendly, well probably a dream.... Thanks a lot for any info.
Thanks.
Any part of the East can get extreme-humidity. (but maybe Maine or places high-altitude )
Don't be fooled into thinking being at a "middle latitude" gaurantees more moderate humidity.
All that happens further north is you get more-changeable humidity levels, as well as more-changeable temps and perhaps windier.

Toronto had a cooler-than-average summer in 2009
with our highest temp of year at only 89 F
but we still recorded a dewpoint of 77 F,
with plenty of morning lows in the 70-72 F range, (with humidity in the 85-100% range )
and at least one morning low of 74 F.

^^ Days like that can easily feel muggier than the Caribbean can in winter.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 03-15-2010 at 09:41 AM..

Old 03-29-2010, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 30,574 times
Thank you for your input. I wish Canada wasn't so cold! I heard life was good there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather