Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 01:45 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,699,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianef20 View Post
Thank you for your input. I wish Canada wasn't so cold! I heard life was good there.
Most Canadians feel the same way!

Vancouver would be pretty good to avoid cold as well as muggy summers...
if you don't mind it being very-cloudy, with long damp periods and summers that err on feeling "luke-warm."
But if you want some dry warmth/heat in summer, you can usually find it driving inland a few hours.

Myself, I enjoy warmth/heat and we usually get more days like that in Toronto than in Vancouver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 08:11 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,593,664 times
I know I sure feel the same way. Canada is a great place just quite chilly a lot of the time.
Vancouver's weather is pretty much the same as Seattle's only slightly cooler. It can get very dark and dreary here a good fraction of the year... so if you need sunshine, it's not the best place for that. However, as ColdCanadian says, if you want to avoid heat and humidity in the summer and have winters that aren't bone-chilling cold, then it's pretty good for that.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I know I sure feel the same way. Canada is a great place just quite chilly a lot of the time.
Vancouver's weather is pretty much the same as Seattle's only slightly cooler. It can get very dark and dreary here a good fraction of the year... so if you need sunshine, it's not the best place for that. However, as ColdCanadian says, if you want to avoid heat and humidity in the summer and have winters that aren't bone-chilling cold, then it's pretty good for that.
Actually, "needing sunshine" no place in Canada should be able to fufill this requirement.
If even a general level of year-round sun is a priority, I would avoid Canada all together.

I found it disappointing when our sunniest places like the Canadian Prairies still average 40-something % chance of sun in winter.

However if you don't mind being indoors,
we have plenty of good indoor gyms, libraries etc. that are well-lit.
Myself I find that if I'm in a brightly-lit room, it usually doesn't bother me if it's gloomy outside.

Again, don't fool yourself into think "relatively sunny places" in Canada will give you enough light in winter, naturally.

Saskatchewan is one of our sunniest provinces,
and Saskatchewan's first premier stayed in office for 12 years.
They didn't find out until his 9th year that he was NEVER in Canada between Nov-Mar...
He suffered from "Seasonal Effective Disorder" even in Saskatchewan ()
and was often spending Nov-Mar in places like California and Florida.
(at the tax-payer's expense? )

Old 03-30-2010, 12:44 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,437,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
He suffered from "Seasonal Effective Disorder" even in Saskatchewan ()
Why is that so strange? I suffer from it in NYC! (kinda)

SED is more about shorter daylight than necessarily sunlight. Saskatchewan is north of the 50th parallel so in winter daylight is even shorter than it is here (or Toronto for that matter).

Old 03-30-2010, 01:20 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,593,664 times
Yes you're right MrMarbles, I think SED is more to do with amount of daylight in winter. Vancouver is 6 degrees further north in latitude than Toronto and not only are our winters much cloudier than Toronto's but we also get about 45 minutes less daylight on the winter solstice than Toronto gets. So, it is plausable that someone in Saskatchewan could suffer from SED.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:59 AM

Average sunshine patterns in Canada:

Imho, anyone who doesn't require sunshine might be impressed with Prairie sunshine.
It seems the Prairies are generally bright and sunny outside of winter,

but Vancouver is mostly-cloudy outside of summer.

Toronto is mostly-cloudy outside late-April to mid-September. (mid-spring until end of summer or earliest autumn)

Old 12-18-2010, 09:54 PM

6 posts, read 29,582 times
In searching for good east coast climate, factor in altitude. Going up a thousand or two thousand feet can make a big difference. What one needs is a link to a detailed micro-climate map for the state you are considering. Both California and Oregon on the west coast have parts where climate changes noticeably in just a few miles. Sometimes, just within a few hundred yards.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 6,216 times
Default Coastal Carolina's

I moved to Wilmington,NC. in 2005.. The weather here is Awesome.I moved here from Baltimore,Maryland. The mid Atlantic always seems to get the worst storms.. The past couple years I've noticed the Heat in the summer was extreme in Maryland also.I live in Carolina Beach ,NC. Storms seem to go around us.lol It sticks a little further out in the ocean,so storms from the south go west of us Alot of the times Western storms break up,and head nooth going through the mountains of NC.Don't get me wrong Huricane season does make me nervous..I have always heard San Diego had the best weather. I consider our weather to be East coast version of there.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:05 PM

48 posts, read 79,076 times
Default Most comfortable weather on the east Coast is....

Most comfortable weather on the east Coast is the area in South Carolina between Columbia and the I-95 right in the southern middle of the state (Aiken, Orangeburg, Sumter etc.). The upper SC is quite humid and so is coastal, but the Central SC is just right with most days very dry 30% humidity and only humid 1-2 days after the rain. Then its back to being very comfortably dry. I don't know whether chemtrails spraying contributes to this dryness, but its a very comfortable climate most of the time - Mid SC! And its just 1 hour drive to the beaches in Charleston and 2 hours to the mountains. In fact I use the humidifier in my house a lot due to the dryness cause my skin is cracking. Never been to California, perhaps your dryness is much more extreme. How is your skin doing?

Old 04-14-2018, 02:09 PM

32 posts, read 55,317 times
There is no place in the eastern US as mild year round as the west coast. If you don't want snow in the winter, you will get high dew point in the summer.

One of the most mild is Asheville, with winter lows in the high 20's, but its elevation keeps summer highs in the low 80's. If you can stand a tad more snow, Atlantic City, NJ has even more mild temperatures due to the summer sea breeze. But in general in the eastern US, you have to choose between cold winters or humid summers.

If you refuse to have snow, you might as well move to south Florida and treat the hottest six months as your indoor season. Winters are beautiful there. The rest of the low elevation southeast gets chilly winters in addition to the sweltering summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather