Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What extreme is easier for you to deal with in terms of weather?
Heat 58 41.43%
Cold 82 58.57%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 09:58 AM

962 posts, read 631,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Well excuse me, but you don't live here. Yes it IS extreme for here. We don't get 90F too often and we call that hot.
AT LEAST you have the option of dressing in layers at -25 F. 90 F just about requires a fan or air conditioner, rather than trying to limit clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 10:03 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,804,442 times
i recall watching a documentary on oymyakon, where a guy living there said that you started getting problems with closing and opening the eye-lids if you weren't blinking more than usual at temperatures below -58C. don't know if there's any truth to that..

Old 09-09-2015, 10:04 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
AT LEAST you have the option of dressing in layers at -25 F. 90 F just about requires a fan or air conditioner, rather than trying to limit clothing.
And -25°F, even positive 25°F for an extended period of time requires layers. I'd rather have low 90s than 25°F. Or 40s. Maybe even 50s. I like, enjoy the feeling of warmth on my skin and don't like being bundled up. Don't find 90°F that big of a deal though annoying when active.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:07 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And -25°F, even positive 25°F for an extended period of time requires layers. I'd rather have low 90s than 25°F. Or 40s. Maybe even 50s. I like, enjoy the feeling of warmth on my skin and don't like being bundled up. Don't find 90°F that big of a deal though annoying when active.
Yeah, 90 F is really only a big problem when you're trying to be active (which I do a lot, so that's why I find South FL annoying). Humidity here is probably much higher at 90 F than it is up there though.

I've been running at 25 F and it felt pretty awesome though rather cold at first. I was overjoyed to warm up to a tolerable temp rather than "warm up" to heat exhaustion.

I think the ideal temperature for a run would be about 50 F.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:16 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Yeah, 90 F is really only a big problem when you're trying to be active (which I do a lot, so that's why I find South FL annoying). Humidity here is probably much higher at 90 F than it is up there though.
In summer, you can always be out in early morning if you wake up and get out fast enough. We get a bigger diurnal range than you. I meant I prefer an afternoon high in the low 90s over 40s or 50°F. Because the morning temperature would colder than I'd like with 40s or 50s in the afternoon.

We don't get mid 70s dewpoints that often, and mid 60s with heat is more common than low 80s.

Quote:
I've been running at 25 F and it felt pretty awesome though rather cold at first. I was overjoyed to warm up to a tolerable temp rather than "warm up" to heat exhaustion.
I think I might have gone running at that temperate

Quote:
I think the ideal temperature for a run would be about 50 F.
Sounds about right.

Bicycling I'd say 60-65°F is ideal, because you don't heat quite as much as you and you get a breeze into you. Upper 50s is fine but low 50s is a bit too chilly. I remember shivering slightly on a downhill on a cool morning last month. I don't like having to deal with layers while bicycling, and having to stop and take off or back on as it warms up / hit a cool spot, so I'd prefer mornings not in the 40s. Best hiking temperature is maybe mid 50s to high 60s if dewpoints aren't too high, 50°F only if strenuous uphill though colder isn't a bother when moving that hard. But I don't mind either hiking or biking in temperatures up to the mid 80s, just not ideal. Rather warmer than colder.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:19 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
I love those dark, cold, and snowy days. Can't wait until summer is over.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:31 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
I said heat because I like the way AC feels compared to how heat in cold climate feels. I really prefer mild, like where I am now in Peru.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:09 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,427 times
Pretty simple for me. I've been cold enough before to be in pain. Worst I've ever had with heat is serious discomfort.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:06 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,046 times
Reading these posts, back and forth, cold is better, hot is better, bring back lots of memories. My dad and I had these exact same back and forth conversations about climate that is going on here. We both used many of the same arguments I've seen here.

My Dad loved living in Minnesota completely with it's 6 months or more of cold (sometimes frigidly cold) weather. I was much more the hot house flower who loved being outside always.....but hated being cold. Living in Minnesota, that's a difficult combination to make work....lol.

Dad:
Cold keeps the riff raff away.
Cold keeps the bugs away.
You can always put more clothes on if you're cold, but you can only take so many off when it's hot.
Cold weather builds character.
A wood fire heats 3 times. When you cut it down and haul it home, when you split and stack it, and when you burn it.
If Winters weren't so cold, we'd have too many (millions more I guess he meant) people living here.
It's not healthy to go from an Air conditioned home outside into the extreme heat of Arizona.

Oh god....I've heard all the above hundreds of times and dozens more I can't even remember right now, trust me.

Me:
You don't have to shovel heat....but you sure do have to shovel snow.
Heat rarely causes you to slip and fall causing injury....but we all can and and do slip and fall on ice every winter.
Heat doesn't cause you car to careen out of control causing damage and injury.....but ice can and often does do that.
If the heat went out in a Minnesota home in January, vs the A/C going out in an Airzona home in July....trust me, the Minnesota home owner will be the loser in that scenario.
So Dad, you want to live somewhere solely because most others find the climate too severe and objectionable to them ?
I hate bugs too....but I'd rather have some bugs and be able to be outside, than have no bugs because it's too cold to be outside anyway. Maybe the bugs are smarter than we humans ?
Yes of course you can always put more clothes on, and only take so many off. However, at some point you become like the Michelan man and movent is hindered by your "leg weight" heavy clunky sorel insulated boots. How much fun is it to play "spaceman" day after day in your space suit while going outside ?
Cold and/or adversity of any kind can indeed build character. I won't argue against that point. But I'd always tell him that I think I have enough character by now having grown up here.
So Dad, you think it's unhealthy to go from a 75 degree air conditioned home into the outside temp of 100 or 110 in Arizona....but it's not a problem to go from a 70 degree house into 20 below outside in Minnesota ? I never could figure out his logic there :-)

Obviously, reading these posts, it's the same ol' thing here. Some like it cold, some like it hot. Go find a place that brings you joy and happiness and enjoy life as you see fit. Some us may never understand your choice, but it's your choice to make, as it should be, whether I understand it or not....lol.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:13 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Oh yeah, I honestly think outside of Antarctica these are the most hostile conditions on the planet. I don't think there's any cold that can match up with the heat of a Dubai July. I don't think there's any way to really combat 40 C with a 30 C dew point.
However, there are people who live their entire lives, raising families even at subsistence levels of non-technology in Saudi Arabia, Iran, a few even in Dubai. There have been people living in those places for thousands of years. Not so in Antarctica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather