Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What extreme is easier for you to deal with in terms of weather?
Heat 58 41.43%
Cold 82 58.57%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 08:25 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,575,394 times

Advertisements

I've been in weather anywhere from about 10 F - 110 F. The former can be dressed for fairly easily, while the latter cannot. Cold wins hands down, you can always put on more layers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 08:43 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I've been in weather anywhere from about 10 F - 110 F. The former can be dressed for fairly easily, while the latter cannot. Cold wins hands down, you can always put on more layers.
110 F is extreme heat. But is 10 F really "extreme cold"? I think of extreme cold as below 0 F, you know, -10, -20, -30 F... How many pairs of socks and gloves can you put on?

People who live in cold climates don't consider 10 F to be extreme cold. In fact, it's the temperature of a pleasant winter day. It gets a LOT colder than that.

Last edited by saibot; 09-07-2015 at 08:52 AM..

Old 09-07-2015, 09:04 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,388 times
While the annoyance of cold temperatures can be dealt with by throwing on layers of clothing, I just don't like doing that. I'd rather be hot but be wearing one layer.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:38 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,085 times
I'll take cold weather over heat any day of the week. I despise that sticky feeling where your clothes are wet and clinging to body parts that should be hidden under layers of toasty warm clothes. Give me a walk on a frigid night with snow falling and my hair is wet because I've dressed too warm and my hood is off vs not being able to walk my dogs because I'm dripping in sweat and they're totally uncomfortable. I mean really why do these idiot people think they're doing their dogs a favor by taking them out in hot weather and going for a run with them? Do you know how hard it is for me when they look at me with those eyes as I head out on a steamy night to ride my bike but have to leave them behind in an air conditioned house with a fan blowing on them to keep them comfortable? Okay so that bike ride from 1am til 3am on an 80 degree night did feel good but the sun was not beating down on me. It was in the 90's all day and I passed on an out door activity with friends. If it was in the 20's and snowing I would have been out there in a heart beat.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:18 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Do you know how hard it is for me when they look at me with those eyes as I head out on a steamy night to ride my bike but have to leave them behind in an air conditioned house with a fan blowing on them to keep them comfortable? Okay so that bike ride from 1am til 3am on an 80 degree night did feel good but the sun was not beating down on me. If it was in the 20's and snowing I would have been out there in a heart beat.
I chose extreme heat over extreme cold (and again, 20 F is not extreme cold), but I have to keep in mind that many people, both in "cold" climates and in the South, experience summer as a humid, sticky heat that is unrelenting day and night. I would hate that too and would long for the cooler temperatures.

We're having a heat wave right now in SoCal, with midday temps in the upper 90s, but with our low humidity, it's a rare night that doesn't drop into the 60s. So evenings and mornings are cool and pleasant.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:33 PM

6,573 posts, read 4,964,901 times
I prefer heat to cold, always have. I worked in a sporting good store so I do have plenty of great cold weather clothes, but I always feel restricted even with only a couple of layers on.

I also hate that winter restricts my outdoor activities. I find DH skiing to be too out of control for me, XC is just, well how the hell do they do it!? (I have 3 sets of good skis, skate and regular but just can't get a good flow going despite excellent teachers). I end up snowshoeing if I can't be on my bike but it's just not the same workout or enjoyment.

Winter with snow is just messy. Constantly. The car is a mess inside and out, as is my entry way and kitchen. I'm always cleaning up water, or stepping in it, and it feels like it never ends.

I also hate spending money on heating. I don't have to use AC as much in the summer as I do heat in the winter.

I'd rather be sweaty than feel like I can't get warmth to my bones. And that's said even though I am traditionally hotter than most others in a particular room.

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; 09-07-2015 at 01:48 PM..

Old 09-07-2015, 03:15 PM

136 posts, read 237,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkis View Post
Cold is easier to deal with it. You can just put layers and you are ok. In hot weather even if you are nude you feel uncomfortably sticky.
Completely agree. Some people, especially women, tend to run naturally warm all year long. Warmer temps exacerbate that internal heat. Inevitably, I am the only woman in an office of women that has her own personal fan and can never be cold enough. The only time I dislike extreme cold is when it effects my extremities. If I could live somewhere cool during the summer months and then come back the rest of the year, I would. Ideal temp would be 50-65.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:18 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,451,998 times
Rather deal with extreme cold (10 F and under) than extreme heat (90 F and over)

The heat in summer is best enjoyed when one has the luxury of a pool, beach or lake. All I need to enjoy winter cold is a layer of snow on the ground. I love the crunch of snow beneath my heat. It is easy to deal with a Texas summer when you have an air conditioned vehicle to get you around, but try walking or riding a bike everywhere when its over 85 degrees. Even if I can't ride my bike when its icy or snowy, I could at least walk and not sweat. I also won't be too cold because you can easily layer up, wear gloves and hats, and the exercise warms you up.

I would love to live in Minnesota. Summers warm enough to swim and go boating, winters cold enough to go ice skating. ^^

Old 09-07-2015, 04:24 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,286,521 times
I like both hot and cold weather, really, what I strongly dislike is high humidity levels, it makes both situations a lot more uncomfortable.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:33 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,989,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmom View Post
Completely agree. Some people, especially women, tend to run naturally warm all year long. Warmer temps exacerbate that internal heat. Inevitably, I am the only woman in an office of women that has her own personal fan and can never be cold enough. The only time I dislike extreme cold is when it effects my extremities. If I could live somewhere cool during the summer months and then come back the rest of the year, I would. Ideal temp would be 50-65.
I can feel you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather