Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What extreme is easier for you to deal with in terms of weather?
Heat 58 41.43%
Cold 82 58.57%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 03:34 PM

963 posts, read 858,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
You die pretty quickly in extreme heat.
You die quicker in extreme cold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 06:45 PM

83,631 posts, read 75,713,387 times
https://twitter.com/EricThomasWBTV/s...41730026831872

Old 06-08-2016, 06:51 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,685,247 times
It's simple. You can't really grow things in cold, where hot climates can grow stuff year round

Old 06-08-2016, 07:44 PM

57 posts, read 58,648 times
Cold is far more uncomfortable, heat is far more dangerous.

Cold is actually very painful, while in heat you feel relaxed, so heat is more insidious too.

Is much easier to dehydrate or to suffer a heat stroke than have hypothermia, but in cold you can have frostbite and get sick.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:59 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,187,968 times
As Majami (who showed a great deal of compassion for the homeless population) has said, no homeless person in Miami has died of heatstroke despite the incessantly humid summers but homeless people have died of hypothermia in when sleeping out in the elements places that don't even have that cold winters (cold spell with temps just around freezing at night).

Old 06-08-2016, 09:12 PM

135 posts, read 90,929 times
Because they just do?

Most people are extroverted, straight and summer lovers. I'm introverted, a *** and winter lover. =D

God/nature/what have you only made a few ppl special, beautiful and rare. Most ppl he just made like everybody else. This is why it's so hard if you are different, yet so wonderful at the same time.

Except on the internet. Other magical weirdos have banded together here, and the out became in and the in becomes out and we become the bullies and the majority instead of the other way around. Like how I see a lot of ppl on forums talk about being a cold lover but IRL, I see more people talking about liking heat. I don't really hear ppl IRL act all excited about cold weather... actually my sister does kind of but it would be funny to hear some common old church lady talk about how she loved the cold weather coming up. That type of thing would tickle me to pieces.

Also heat brings life. And positivity. I think most people are wired this way to have 'things happening and going on' in their brains. Some of us... for whatever reason, don't like a lot of crap going on inside there- we like the peaceful nothingness of winter. Of the dark, of the serene. We are ironically energized by the void. Not necessarily bad/negative things, but just a certain type of absence or energy.

Quote:
Cold is far more uncomfortable, heat is far more dangerous.
dunno, I'm pretty uncomfortable in heat too. And both are dangerous when taken to campy extremes.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:24 PM

765 posts, read 576,638 times
Apparently cold is far more dangerous:

Quote:
As we shiver through the first weeks of winter, here's a fact to give you goosebumps: more people die from the cold in Australia than in Sweden. According to a new study published in medical journal The Lancet, cold contributed to about 3.9 per cent of deaths in Sweden, but 6.5 per cent in Australia.
And here's another one. Even in balmy Australia, cold weather claims more lives than hot weather. The same study concluded that heat contributed to only 0.5 per cent of deaths.
Australian houses are just glorified tents in winter

Old 06-09-2016, 03:54 AM

11,655 posts, read 13,020,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab276 View Post
Apparently cold is far more dangerous:

Australian houses are just glorified tents in winter
They're right about the houses being like tents. Our walls are too thin and it can easily get too hot or too cold. So annoying.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:41 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,309,713 times
Yep, especially in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth where as Ethereal said, are too thin, especially as Perthites are very prone to cold.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:24 AM

11,655 posts, read 13,020,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodleman556 View Post
Yep, especially in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth where as Ethereal said, are too thin, especially as Perthites are very prone to cold.
Our homes have a continental climate. Lol....

I thought we are more prone to cold? Perth is warmer than Sydney in the winter by like 3C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather