Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 10:55 PM

3,750 posts, read 4,935,677 times

Advertisements

Since being a heat lover is the norm/mainstream, do you think people who love sun and hot weather tend to be more mainstream and conventional in their views in general?

Would heat lovers be more likely for example to have say ESTJ personalities compared to INFP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 11:02 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,261,948 times
I have yet to see any proof that heat lovers are more common than cold lovers. Both preferences are definitely not mainstream and would be indicative of a less "conventional" personality.

For the record, I know there is a least one cold lover who is an INFP.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:22 PM

962 posts, read 626,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
I have yet to see any proof that heat lovers are more common than cold lovers.
Judging by the fact that the southern states have a higher population than the northern states?

The 3 most populated states in the US (California, Texas, and Florida) are all in the South. Together, these three alone count for about a quarter of the total US population.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
Judging by the fact that the southern states have a higher population than the northern states? The 3 most populated states in the US (California, Texas, and Florida) are all in the South. Together, these three alone count for about a quarter of the total US population.
How is population relevant? I've asked this before but didn't get a response from you. The reality is most people don't live somewhere just because it has a climate they like, but for economic reasons.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:36 PM

Quote:
How is population relevant? I've asked this before but didn't get a response from you. The reality is most people don't live somewhere just because it has a climate they like, but for economic reasons.
Because most people don't seem to give a flying airport about Alaska or North Dakota or Montana. If there really are more cold lovers than heat lovers, then why don't some of them move up to Alaska so that I could build big cities there like I have dreamed of for a while? And put up attractions there.

I really don't know why, but it looks like a lot of people have some kind of issue with Alaska. Minnesota has a few people in it, but even they sometimes have more complaints about cold weather than heat.

Some of the northern states (Montana, Alaska, Minnesota, Vermont, and Maine) have more relaxed laws and slightly better economy than some other states. A couple of states with economy issues I can think of are maybe Nevada, California, or New York, and recently, Illinois (in terms of losing $ and budget cuts). Even though Minnesota is one of the top highest states for good education.

--------------------------------------------

As for the OP: I'd say it could be likely, since most of the southern (warmer) states are usually red states during elections, and many republicans tend to be conservative and conventional.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Because most people don't seem to give a flying airport about Alaska or North Dakota or Montana. If there really are more cold lovers than heat lovers, then why don't some of them move up to Alaska so that I could build big cities there like I have dreamed of for a while? And put up attractions there.
People can't just decide to drop everything and start a new life in a frozen wasteland. They have jobs and families where they already live. Use the forum as an example. Out of the many cold lovers here, how many live in cold climates? I can't think of any. If there is nothing that calls for a massive migration of people to Alaska and the northern U.S., it's not going to happen.

Quote:
I really don't know why, but it looks like a lot of people have some kind of issue with Alaska. Minnesota has a few people in it, but even they sometimes have more complaints about cold weather than heat.
Probably because those complaints are legitimate. Not everyone is cut out for bitter cold and tons of snow. Cold, especially of Minnesota or Alaska magnitude, can be extremely inconvenient. Again, these complaints are likely coming from people who have no choice in where they live. Their jobs, families, etc. are in Minnesota. Everything they've ever known is there. Some may be lucky enough to relocate to Florida (or California if they like mild weather), but for most people, that won't happen until retirement age.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Out of the many cold lovers here, how many live in cold climates? I can't think of any.
I think a person on here named Shalop is from NY (or something like that).

Old 09-09-2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
I think a person on here named Shalop is from NY (or something like that).
Long Island is not a cold climate.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:00 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,616,375 times
I'm an INFP and I love warm to hot weather mainly because I love water sports and the warm sun. It's hard to enjoy those things for me when everything is frozen and it's cold outside. Things that are stopping me from moving to a nice climate is a decent job and immigration. I'm not too hung up about family and friends. I can make friends wherever I go.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:16 AM

6,480 posts, read 6,129,824 times
Not sure what my type is, but I know that I'm a pretty extreme extrovert. And I'm both a cold lover and a heat lover. Cold lover in winter, heat lover in summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather