Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 06:26 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times

Advertisements

Some places on the southern Plains have hit 95-100 F / 35-38 C in early October. In those areas, that's typically too early for brilliant foliage, though there will be some color. You might see 90 F / 32 C even in late October, so brilliant foliage and 90 F / 32 C is certainly a possibility.

I would say in a given year in some areas of the southern Plains (e.g. Oklahoma, north Texas) you'll probably see low 90s and foliage. 100 is on the edge of possibility but possible nonetheless.

In those same areas, you're likely to see 80s and bare trees, most likely in a February / early March warm spell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 06:59 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,353,919 times
The latest it has reached 100F here was on September 28, 1953. Too early for much fall foliage then.

The latest it has reached 90F was October 30, 1951. There is some fall foliage in late October, but I'd say it doesn't peak until around mid-November.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:03 AM

750 posts, read 741,414 times
Probably Northern California. Heatwaves happen almost at random on the West Coast.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:30 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Temperature has little to do with why leaves actually change color. It's more so a response to the seasons and the earths axis tilt. Less sun = less photosynthesis = leaves changing color.

Southern California has trees that change color, but these trees would change color regardless of whether they are in a warm or cold climate. It's spotty here, as none of the actual native vegetation changes color, so the deciduous trees that were randomly planted in yards or along streets change their color and lose leaves, but it's odd because you will usually see it next to a Jacaranda with a full green canopy or a palm tree.
I hate when people say this, obviously change in the amount of daylight and sun angle has its influence, but temperature is much more of an influence. If what you said was true, fall color would occur at the same time every single year but it's noticeably later on warmer-than-normal autumns.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:22 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I hate when people say this, obviously change in the amount of daylight and sun angle has its influence, but temperature is much more of an influence. If what you said was true, fall color would occur at the same time every single year but it's noticeably later on warmer-than-normal autumns.
Well I didn't say it had nothing to do. I said it had LITTLE to do with it. Much less than other factors.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:25 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Well I didn't say it had nothing to do. I said it had LITTLE to do with it. Much less than other factors.
It's probably the most important factor. Plentiful summer precipitation is another factor for good autumn colors as well.

If what you said was true, there would be little variation between the timing of autumn colors from year to year.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:26 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
The leaves are starting to turn here in Southern California yet we're forcasting 100+ temperatures coming this weekend. Triple digit heat in October here is not common but not that unusual either. It seems length of day influences when the leaves turn in addition to temperature.

Any other places in the world where it's possible to see the strange combination of blistering heat AND fall foliage? I suppose this is also possible in Arizona but trees don't grow naturally there in the desert, only planted and watered regularly in certain neighborhoods.
I don't think any of the trees you see in the L.A. Basin that are deciduous and change colors naturally grow there either. I lived in OC for years and the only trees that actually changed colors were the Sweetgum trees (which are a horrible tree, btw, but I think people there plant them only because they do actually change colors in a climate where it never frosts or freezes) and maybe some other odd type of tree that turned yellow for a while. Most of the deciduous trees in coastal OC just got ugly in late fall - maybe a little color, mixed in with flowering and new leaves coming on all at the same time. Ash trees would turn/shed/grow all at the same time, looking rather ugly for a few weeks in late Dec/early January.

But yeah, you could find the odd trees turning colors while it's 100 degrees around SoCal.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Some places on the southern Plains have hit 95-100 F / 35-38 C in early October. In those areas, that's typically too early for brilliant foliage, though there will be some color. You might see 90 F / 32 C even in late October, so brilliant foliage and 90 F / 32 C is certainly a possibility.

I would say in a given year in some areas of the southern Plains (e.g. Oklahoma, north Texas) you'll probably see low 90s and foliage. 100 is on the edge of possibility but possible nonetheless.

In those same areas, you're likely to see 80s and bare trees, most likely in a February / early March warm spell.
I've seen it be 90 with bare trees in Denver in early May. We're just starting to see a little color in the city, and it's supposed to be mid 80s this weekend. But the climate here is very up and down from Fall to Spring.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I've seen peak foliage in New Hampshire and 85°F temperatures; 100°F is very unlikely there in summer let alone fall. What does foliage look like southern California? I assumed it was too mild to get much of any color change.
Coastal SoCal gets very little color since most trees are either broad-leafed evergreen (those trees that never lose their leaves and can't take hard freezes, like Ficus, Magnolia, Avacado, citrus, etc.) or palms. Further inland (like Riverside and San Bernardino areas), it's a little higher in elevation and far enough from the ocean that they get frosts here and there in winter, so maybe half the trees are deciduous in more inland areas, but still don't really turn colors well.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:05 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
It's probably the most important factor. Plentiful summer precipitation is another factor for good autumn colors as well.

If what you said was true, there would be little variation between the timing of autumn colors from year to year.
No. Temperature will most likely affect the vibrancy of the color, but it has little to do with why they turn colors. Decreased sunlight is the biggest factor. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather