Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 03:21 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
No. Temperature will most likely affect the vibrancy of the color, but it has little to do with why they turn colors. Decreased sunlight is the biggest factor. Period.
Not at all. Like I said, daylight length is certainly a factor but temperature is more of a factor. Cooler than average temps in early fall= earlier than normal fall colors. Like I said, if temperature was a little of a factor as you say, there would be less variance in the timing of autumn colors from year to year. You can nearly all green or at peak color in mid-autumn depending on how the temperatures are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 03:38 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Not at all. Like I said, daylight length is certainly a factor but temperature is more of a factor. Cooler than average temps in early fall= earlier than normal fall colors. Like I said, if temperature was a little of a factor as you say, there would be less variance in the timing of autumn colors from year to year. You can nearly all green or at peak color in mid-autumn depending on how the temperatures are.
You seem to be missing the point. Temp, according to you, has a lot to do with WHEN leaves change. Daylight has everything to do with WHY they change. Which, in context to my original post, was referring to SoCal getting fall colors on certain trees.

Why Leaves Change Color

"The timing of color change and leaf fall are primarily regulated by the calendar, that is, the increasing length of night. None of the other environmental influences-temperature, rainfall, food supply, and so on-are as unvarying as the steadily increasing length of night during autumn."

Also:

"As night length increases in the autumn, chlorophyll production slows down and then stops and eventually all the chlorophyll is destroyed. The carotenoids and anthocyanins that are present in the leaf are then unmasked and show their colors."

Old 10-07-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
You seem to be missing the point. Temp, according to you, has a lot to do with WHEN leaves change. Daylight has everything to do with WHY they change. Which, in context to my original post, was referring to SoCal getting fall colors on certain trees.

Why Leaves Change Color

"The timing of color change and leaf fall are primarily regulated by the calendar, that is, the increasing length of night. None of the other environmental influences-temperature, rainfall, food supply, and so on-are as unvarying as the steadily increasing length of night during autumn."

Also:

"As night length increases in the autumn, chlorophyll production slows down and then stops and eventually all the chlorophyll is destroyed. The carotenoids and anthocyanins that are present in the leaf are then unmasked and show their colors."
Daylight does not have "everything" to do with why they change. It's a big factor, but temperature makes a bigger difference. Day length is the same every year, but the timing of fall colors isn't. There's other factors involved.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Daylight does not have "everything" to do with why they change. It's a big factor, but temperature makes a bigger difference. Day length is the same every year, but the timing of fall colors isn't. There's other factors involved.
You're welcome to post a link that will favor your side, but unless you have illiteracy problems...I've posted one for you. Anyway, you still seem to be disregarding the point. Temperature is not the biggest factor in why they change color, but more so when or how vibrant they will be.

That's as far as I'm gonna take this with you, as I'd prefer not to derail this thread any longer.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:26 PM

EEK! - Why Do Leaves Change Color?

As I said, there's other factors. Your claim that daylight decrease is the ONLY factor is completely wrong. I never said it wasn't a factor, just not the ONLY factor as you claim.

And yes, I'd rather not discuss this anymore either.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
EEK! - Why Do Leaves Change Color?

As I said, there's other factors. Your claim that daylight decrease is the ONLY factor is completely wrong. I never said it wasn't a factor, just not the ONLY factor as you claim.

And yes, I'd rather not discuss this anymore either.
LOL. I'd love for you to point out where I said that. Even the first post you quoted me doesn't even say that. Even your link is justifying exactly what I said.

Moving on.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:50 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,005,110 times
Daylight isnt the only factor,one reason to this is,why some places have more evergreen and others more deciduous(West Coast and East Coast respectively.)

Old 10-07-2015, 04:57 PM

"Daylight has everything to do with why they change"

Ummmm...yeah.

And my post (as yours) supports the fact that there's many factors going into autumn color changes.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
"Daylight has everything to do with why they change"

Ummmm...yeah.

And my post (as yours) supports the fact that there's many factors going into autumn color changes.
You're talking about WHEN they change. I'm talking about WHY they change to point out that SoCal would see certain fall colors regardless if it's much warmer than say, Minnesota. Is that really that hard for you to comprehend?

Deciduous trees react to lesser sunlight by producing less chlorophyll. (That's what makes leaves look green!) once the green pigment is void from the leaf, the other remaining pigments such as red, orange, yellow and purple start to show. That's a fact and that's really all you need to know.

Obviously other factors play in to how bright the leaves get, when they start changing color, etc. but that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. Mmmkay?

Old 10-07-2015, 05:51 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,669,870 times
Quote:
No. Temperature will most likely affect the vibrancy of the color, but it has little to do with why they turn colors. Decreased sunlight is the biggest factor. Period.
Yup exactly, it is the sun angle decrease and less sunlight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather