Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2015, 12:14 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Yes, but that's not the same as saying higher humidity alone, makes one feel colder.
Well, higher relative humidity causes things that make me feel colder. That is as scientific as I can be, so far.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:16 PM

3,600 posts, read 2,692,325 times
Dry cold in winter feels less cold than humid cold. There is no doubt about it - I have eperienced both many times.
But, in dry areas (at least in my contry), it gets colder in winter as these are inland areas.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:18 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,259,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Why is it so important? The frost free period is more important, IMO. And if trace snowfalls are included don't see much point in focusing on it at all
Ok, well we don't have an accurate frost free period. It's not like America here, we can get frosts anytime from April to early June.

Looking through the data recently the last frost seems to be mid-May.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:23 PM

865 posts, read 1,076,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
I am surprised that you did not see any see in April since 1998. I can't think of the exact years but I am certain that I have at least 3 years of lying snow in April in the past decade.

2013 was one of the years.
I have been away a couple of those years. I know that much of Britain had snow in late March back in 2013, but I was away in Australia. As far as I am aware though, Bishopton got a little bit of snow in late March (when much of the UK was getting a great deal of it), but none in April. I was in Canada in April 2007, but I do not believe that it snowed that year either.

Glasgow isn't the best place to use as a benchmark, I admit, since snow is usually blocked by high ground to the north, or doesn't make it this far west. I know that places in N.I can get that uninterupted northerly wind which can bring in snow

Old 10-11-2015, 12:55 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
No, East Anglia flat like the great plains. The rest of the British isles are hilly/mountainous with green
fields, the fields in East Anglia are black.

http://www.countrysideshow.co.uk/sit...h%20ss%201.jpg
Most of the SE away from the North/South Downs is very flat. Click on the town names to get aerial photos. North Surrey is very flat, as are Hampshire, Berkshire, Essex. The south of the county is a mixture of rolling hills and flat, similar to Sussex and Kent.

Photos of Surrey England UK including aerial photographs - SurreyProperty.com

Most of the SE is flat. That is a typical British landscape.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:03 PM

Again, I don't know the dates. It did snow several times this April but it did not lie at my house. The last time I seen lying April snow was in 2013.

Before that we had lying snow in April during 2010, 2009 and a few other years.

Here is a picture of the snow in late April 2013, on the hills:

Also April 2009:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sallea...-7PJzbD-9fQK8R

Also April 2010:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kellsw...-dzAStj-dzvhJF

So yeah it does kind of snow in April where I live.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Most of the SE away from the North/South Downs is very flat. Click on the town names to get aerial photos. North Surrey is very flat, as are Hampshire, Berkshire, Essex. The south of the county is a mixture of rolling hills and flat, similar to Sussex and Kent.

Photos of Surrey England UK including aerial photographs - SurreyProperty.com

Most of the SE is flat. That is a typical British landscape.
The south east of England is not a typical British landscape or climate. Most of the British Isles are hilly/mountainous.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:02 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsli View Post
Dry cold in winter feels less cold than humid cold. There is no doubt about it - I have eperienced both many times.
But, in dry areas (at least in my contry), it gets colder in winter as these are inland areas.
I've experienced both as well. I worked at a ski area making snow. At 1-2% RH, water would freeze up to around 5C, as the water droplet lose heat very rapidly. At 100% RH, it takes about -2C before the droplet can freeze sufficiently.

I've worked on stone fruit orchards doing frost prevention. The concept was simple -raise the relative humidity, to slow the rate of cooling.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:16 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times
Quote:
I've experienced both as well. I worked at a ski area making snow. At 1-2% RH, water would freeze up to around 5C, as the water droplet lose heat very rapidly. At 100% RH, it takes about -2C before the droplet can freeze sufficiently.

I've worked on stone fruit orchards doing frost prevention. The concept was simple -raise the relative humidity, to slow the rate of cooling.
Neither of those points, as good as they are, are relevant with how the humidity affects a person.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:45 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Do you mean that there is no sea breeze at all?, or just that it doesn't have a cooling effect 25 minutes inland?

Over here, no part of the country doesn't get the sea breeze. It might not be a refreshing breeze 100km from the coast, but it is still a sea breeze.
There are lots of days, particularly in summer, with barely any wind. There is no cooling effect until you can pretty much smell the ocean. The inland suburbs of Miami are not close to the ocean. The only times it cools down is during a thunderstorm. Shortly after it gets really muggy, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather