Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Victoria, BC's climate Oceanic or Mediterranean according to you?
Oceanic 48 67.61%
Mediterranean 23 32.39%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 02:50 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,291,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
For that matter Victoria is sunnier and drier during the summer than Barcelona.
not really a comparison since Victoria sits at the latitude of Paris, which makes the days longer in July. In percentage, Barcelona is certainly a bit sunnier during that month.

Old 09-07-2020, 03:49 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Here it is again - the notion of Koppen as some writer of glossy holiday weather guides, centred around the expectations of the British public.
It's got nothing to do with expectations, the fact is it's not a climate like the Med, New Zealand isn't f*ckin tropical either, no matter how much you want it to be!

Old 09-07-2020, 08:00 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,513,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
not really a comparison since Victoria sits at the latitude of Paris, which makes the days longer in July. In percentage, Barcelona is certainly a bit sunnier during that month.
Approximate percent bright sunshine for Barcelona in summer:
June 57.6%
July 67.3%
August 65.8%

Approximate percent bright sunshine for Victoria in summer:
June 56.9%
July 67.5%
August 66.9%

So despite what you say, Victoria is still sunnier (and drier) in summer than Barcelona.

BTW, here the corresponding figures for London:
June 41.0%
July 42.3%
August 45.2%

(Source: do the math)

Old 09-07-2020, 10:12 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,291,749 times
I don't know, I looked at wikipedia and it said 310 hours of sunshine for Barcelona and 318 hours for Victoria. I supposed the difference of latitude would mean that Victoria would have at least one hour of sunlight per day during the month of July compared to Barcelona, which would mean 20-30 more hours monthly, and then the 8 additional hours would not be enough, but then apparently both locations have the same value for July.

About the additional rainfall for Barcelona, sure, but it's mostly convective rain in short-lived storms. Barcelona is also borderline subtropical just like a bunch of Italian southern cities.

No dice on London for sunshine, for sure. Victoria is more like a mediterranean oceanic mix, because as sunny as these summers are, these winters look very wet nonetheless, not forgetting the relatively cool summers.

Old 09-07-2020, 11:08 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
It's got nothing to do with expectations, the fact is it's not a climate like the Med, New Zealand isn't f*ckin tropical either, no matter how much you want it to be!
Your whole argument is based on expectations - even after multiple posts explaining the pattern of precipitation stemming from the influence of the subtropical ridge, you still post comments about what British holidaymakers expect.

I would hate NZ to be tropical - among the reasons is that I'm a skier still averaging 30+ days a year, and have no desire for a tropical climate where I live. But in saying that, I can still grow an avocado or orange in the garden, and live close enough to the snow that skiing is a short and leisurely drive away..... I'm happy with the Oceanic climate I have.

Easy to tell when you feel that your debate isn't getting anywhere - your Captain Deflector persona comes to the fore.

Last edited by Joe90; 09-07-2020 at 11:57 AM..

Old 09-07-2020, 02:32 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Your whole argument is based on expectations - even after multiple posts explaining the pattern of precipitation stemming from the influence of the subtropical ridge, you still post comments about what British holidaymakers expect.

I would hate NZ to be tropical - among the reasons is that I'm a skier still averaging 30+ days a year, and have no desire for a tropical climate where I live. But in saying that, I can still grow an avocado or orange in the garden, and live close enough to the snow that skiing is a short and leisurely drive away..... I'm happy with the Oceanic climate I have.

Easy to tell when you feel that your debate isn't getting anywhere - your Captain Deflector persona comes to the fore.
I've never mentioned British holidaymakers? You did! I don't care what you think about 'rain patterns' Victoria BC does NOT have a Med climate, simples and you getting all worked up over me doesn't change that fact!! Why is it 'some' people who live in Oceanic climates (like you for example) get all worked up over it? Oceanic climates are some of the best climates in the world, probably only bettered by Med type climates, they're comfortable, no hurricanes, no life threatening droughts, no deathly cold, no monsoon rains, no digging snow to get your car out the drive, ideal for year round outdoor activities etc, Victoria is not the Med for sure but it's fairly pleasant, it could be a lot worse, it could be like Toronto for example! :-)

Old 09-07-2020, 02:49 PM

1,547 posts, read 871,176 times
It look's like there's going to be no consensus on Victoria's climate. Some view it as oceanic, some view it as mediterranean. Each to their own.

Old 09-07-2020, 04:11 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
It look's like there's going to be no consensus on Victoria's climate. Some view it as oceanic, some view it as mediterranean. Each to their own.
Exactly. Enough arguing and bickering. Thread closed.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather