Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2015, 08:10 AM

13,484 posts, read 9,024,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Heh, some (feral or stray, probably: no collar and looks a little worn out) cat was at the backdoor this morning, and my cat was on the inside and they were just staring each other down and stuff. Opened up the door so that it was just the screen that separated them, and they were sniffing at one another. Eventually the other cat hissed and my cat. Then it went away.

My cat often looks out that door (oftentimes at birds), and I think I've seen that other cat before by the woods, so perhaps this encounter has also happened before when no one was around.
There are lots of stray cats in Malta & there are a couple that have made friends with my cat (only through the glass or screen door), one is really friendly & she comes with a black cat every evening for some food. I put a box with a blanket in the front garden for them too, but they rarely sleep in it. We would love to "adopt" them, but would mean having to catch them & getting them neutered, de-flea'd & have their vaccinations before they would be ok to come inside & with them having spent their whole lives with the freedom of living outdoors I doubt they would be happy as house cats, as our cat is...

Old 12-12-2015, 08:24 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
There are lots of stray cats in Malta & there are a couple that have made friends with my cat (only through the glass or screen door), one is really friendly & she comes with a black cat every evening for some food. I put a box with a blanket in the front garden for them too, but they rarely sleep in it. We would love to "adopt" them, but would mean having to catch them & getting them neutered, de-flea'd & have their vaccinations before they would be ok to come inside & with them having spent their whole lives with the freedom of living outdoors I doubt they would be happy as house cats, as our cat is...
I don't know how my cat would react to a 2nd cat in the house. I've had a cat most of my life, but only ever 1 (my 1st cat was a young stray when we 1st got him, had him from 1995 to 2005; my current one we adopted and have had since early January 2012). I have no experience owning 2 or more, though most people with cats seem to have more than 1.

The most feral cats I've ever seen was in San Juan, Puerto Rico, back in 2007, walking by the bay. Tons of them living in these rocks, and they just come right up to you!

Old 12-12-2015, 08:28 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
It's 1C in Leeds right now but 33 miles SE in Doncaster it's a balmy 12C. In Liverpool it's 14C. That's a very large gradient for this island.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:34 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,815,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Wow, that's really generous of you driving them that far so early in the morning!

I've been looking out for snow here - we've had a bit of sleet, but otherwise all rain so far. I assume there's snow on the hills but with the cloud base being so low I can't see the hills. Temperature down from 4.4C at 8 am to 1.0C at 11 am
Yeah, I'm knackered now though! They're going to Australia for 5 weeks, and they asked me if I could months ago, unfortunately I'd forgotten about until this week too.
I'm not sure if it was sticking anywhere, but it was heavy at the top of the M62 and was starting to stick a little on the road. I've seen a few pics this afternoon on Facebook of snow, but mainly towards the North East. None near here, except possibly the hills.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:35 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,952,726 times
There is a town in Victoria called Tittybong lol

Old 12-12-2015, 08:43 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
There is a district here in Turku called Pallivaha. It means "scrotum wax" in slang.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:44 AM

13,484 posts, read 9,024,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I don't know how my cat would react to a 2nd cat in the house. I've had a cat most of my life, but only ever 1 (my 1st cat was a young stray when we 1st got him, had him from 1995 to 2005; my current one we adopted and have had since early January 2012). I have no experience owning 2 or more, though most people with cats seem to have more than 1.

The most feral cats I've ever seen was in San Juan, Puerto Rico, back in 2007, walking by the bay. Tons of them living in these rocks, and they just come right up to you!
Yeah my cat has always lived alone, but back in the UK he used to go outside & made friends with some of the other cats in our street. His best friend was a massive ginger & white cat called Ginghino & he sometimes brought him home for dinner lol He has always liked other cats & would play with them, but not sure if he'd like to share "his" house with one lol...

There are lots of feral cats all over Malta, I think they originated from when Malta was badly bombed during WW2, so many were made homeless & they started breeding in the wild. In recent years several cat rescue charities have set up neutering & re-homing programmes, so there are not as many as there used to be. But lots of people here take care of them & in every street you will see feeding stations with cat biscuits & bowls of water that residents put out for them

Old 12-12-2015, 08:46 AM

881 posts, read 646,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
There is a town in Victoria called Tittybong lol
There is an "Iron Knob" in South Australia

Old 12-12-2015, 08:55 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Can we please talk about politics or race for f**ks sake. Cats? Cats? Seriously? Jesus.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:09 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,407,199 times
Was up until 6am finishing an essay, then fell asleep until about 11am before going back to sleep from 12-3pm. Got my 8 hours, but also missed daylight

Oh well, now that is done it is time to drink

Also, what is happening here since October? I remember saying in summer after early July when we started to get consistently below average weather that once Autumn comes around we will see the positive anomalies again.. why can't we get these in summer FFS

This is December so far, which is all well and good, but would be much better if these insanely above average nights would come in summer. The same positive anomalies below in July would give us 28.5C/20.9C, basically the same as Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiizzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
http://i.imgur.com/f2bXLkF.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather