Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2016, 07:23 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Threatening someone else with a gun like that thug did should pretty much be a death sentence at the hands of the police *unless* you do every goddamn thing they tell you to do and you don't give them even the slightest impression that you are resisting them.
He wasn't resisting. We don't have much evidence before of what the suspect was doing before the police came.

Quote:
The BLM agenda will make (and probably has already made) the streets of America much less safe, as cops fear doing their jobs.
More from cops not doing their jobs because they can't take any criticism.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:34 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
The witness to the shooting — the owner of the convenience store — said the cops seemed aggressive from the start. The witness also said that Sterling was complying with the officers, and that he wasn’t holding the gun, nor did he have a hand near the gun when he was shot. In the video, one of Sterling’s hands is clearly not a threat, but his other hand isn’t visible. There’s also body camera and dash camera footage that has yet to be released.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...d-preventable/

Old 07-09-2016, 07:37 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
He wasn't resisting. We don't have much evidence before of what the suspect was doing before the police came.

Maybe so. The first video wasn't really clear (Video Of Alton Sterling's Fatal Shooting By Baton Rouge Police Sparks Protests, FBI Inquiry : The Two-Way : NPR), but there's a second one that came out that's clearer that I just saw (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yKbro7q_Zw} - while it looks pretty bad, I still can't see his hands in that one, though, so I don't know. In any case, the feds are reviewing it, so a more extensive & formal evaluation will be conducted. I'll concede that it is best to reserve judgment until then.

As for evidence of what he was doing, I had heard the police were called because he had threatened someone with a gun. From a policing perspective, your mindset going into that situation is going to be very different from any situation in which the assailant is unarmed.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
The witness to the shooting — the owner of the convenience store — said the cops seemed aggressive from the start. The witness also said that Sterling was complying with the officers, and that he wasn’t holding the gun, nor did he have a hand near the gun when he was shot. In the video, one of Sterling’s hands is clearly not a threat, but his other hand isn’t visible. There’s also body camera and dash camera footage that has yet to be released.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...d-preventable/
Well, idk man, if you're a cop and you get a call about a guy threatening people with a gun, what are you supposed to be? Timid? I'd certainly hope not.

We'll see what the other video evidence shows. It's easy to play Monday morning quarterback with the actions of cops, when they have to make split-second decisions that could have implications for their own lives, those of bystanders, as well as perps.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:02 AM

Police Officers Ambushed, Attacked in Several States

Old 07-09-2016, 08:10 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
They are certainly contributing to the unrest and fear that's out there.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:12 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
I love Zumiez and Hot Topic

Old 07-09-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I love Zumiez and Hot Topic
I liked Hot Topic when i was a teenager. Place to buy band shirts and other assorted stuff. Never heard of Zumiez.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:18 AM

13,479 posts, read 9,020,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Well, idk man, if you're a cop and you get a call about a guy threatening people with a gun, what are you supposed to be? Timid? I'd certainly hope not.

We'll see what the other video evidence shows. It's easy to play Monday morning quarterback with the actions of cops, when they have to make split-second decisions that could have implications for their own lives, those of bystanders, as well as perps.
Police in the UK & other countries manage to subdue criminals without killing them. Though not quite sure how a man pinned to the ground by 2 cops was still seen as a threat & they needed to pump him full of bullets... Tasers are used by the police in the UK & even when armed response teams come out they do NOT shoot to kill. This is exactly what is wrong with the police in the US, rather than shooting a suspect in the leg or somewhere else not fatal, they always shoot to kill & pump them with enough bullets to take out a T-Rex...

Old 07-09-2016, 10:20 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
UK police will always shoot to kill if there is an imminent threat, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather