Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the climate of Vancouver will be able to support CIDPs unprotected in the near future?
Yes 11 40.74%
No 16 59.26%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 02:36 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
The lowest temps in the south of England in 2010 were not low enough to kill a CIDP. Are you sure about them dying there?
UK gardening forums mention a lot of dead ones, and even in places like Southampton and Brighton, a lot were badly affected.

I think Leeds is a matter of when rather than if, but good luck to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 02:48 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
When did you first start seeing them?
About 3 years ago, when the city council planted some in the city centre. I have my doubts about how long they can survive in suburban gardens here - but given that the lowest temperature in the city centre in 30 years was -8.6C, they have a reasonable shot of surviving there. They don't seem to care about snow, or temperatures down to -5C.

At a rural location like Church Fenton, no way would they survive long given -10C and below occurs more than once a decade - most recently in 2012 but also in 2010.

Here's a picture of them back in August, on a partly cloudy, 26C day..

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 10-21-2015 at 03:05 PM..

Old 10-21-2015, 03:22 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,813,748 times
I don't think I've ever seen one here. I don't see the point either. They just look ridiculously out of place in such a gloomy, cool climate.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:32 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
I don't think I've ever seen one here. I don't see the point either. They just look ridiculously out of place in such a gloomy, cool climate.
Do you think they'd look out of place in a city like Lima or Chongqing? they are gloomier than where you are.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:35 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
I don't think cloudiness has any bearing on whether they look out of place or not, nor the temperature, given they flourish in San Francisco and southern China.. they're just not fitted to English cities IMO. They look fine in Seville or Barcelona but I feel like deciduous trees are most fitted to English cities given the prevailing architecture style here.

Even coniferous trees look out of place to me.

When the trees are turning, and the snow starts falling, they don't look appropriate either.

I actually feel that cloudy weather goes well with palm trees if it's warm and humid at the same time - a common combination in many tropical & subtropical climates.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:40 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
About 3 years ago, when the city council planted some in the city centre. I have my doubts about how long they can survive in suburban gardens here - but given that the lowest temperature in the city centre in 30 years was -8.6C, they have a reasonable shot of surviving there. They don't seem to care about snow, or temperatures down to -5C.

At a rural location like Church Fenton, no way would they survive long given -10C and below occurs more than once a decade - most recently in 2012 but also in 2010.

Here's a picture of them back in August, on a partly cloudy, 26C day..

I think what is more important than low temp is how many days in a row it is below freezing. I don't think places in the UK get enough ice days to do them in. That is why they should last long term.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:43 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
I don't think cloudiness has any bearing on whether they look out of place or not, nor the temperature, given they flourish in San Francisco and southern China.. they're just not fitted to English cities IMO. They look fine in Seville or Barcelona but I feel like deciduous trees are most fitted to English cities given the prevailing architecture style here.

Even coniferous trees look out of place to me.

When the trees are turning, and the snow starts falling, they don't look appropriate either.

I actually feel that cloudy weather goes well with palm trees if it's warm and humid at the same time - a common combination in many tropical & subtropical climates.
All comes down to a matter of preference. I'd rather see them all green in winter than all the dead branches of deciduous trees with brown grass.

I will say that towns in England look very nice in winter with deep green grass and some leafless trees. I just think the added greenery of the palms will add to the green grass and give a really cool look with some leafless trees in the mix too. Don't ya think?

Old 10-21-2015, 03:49 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,813,748 times
I just don't think they fit in with English cities, but that's probably more to do with me not being used to seeing it. I'd definitely find it odd to see a large CIDP next to York Minster. I'll have to look in the museum gardens the next time I'm in town. If anywhere here has them, it will be in there.
As for the cloudiness, I know that's not really the issue, but it just adds to the look of a place like York for instance, not looking like a place that would handle palms.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:06 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Quote:
They probably can, but I guess nobody in Vancouver has bothered to do so. Only recently have I seen them in Leeds.
That's what I figured.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:32 PM

659 posts, read 898,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
What is CIDP, because I google it and all I got was chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy, and I don't know why you would want to grow that?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather