Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the climate of Vancouver will be able to support CIDPs unprotected in the near future?
Yes 11 40.74%
No 16 59.26%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 06:17 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I always thought of SSI as being warmer than it actually is, their winters are only slightly milder than ours, and that's only due to their warmer low temperatures. Summers there are surprisingly cool as well. Still, I'm a fan of what he does, and if anything I have a greater appreciation for it now than I did before.
It's a completely different climate than yours though, extremes in temperature are rare, and it doesn't often fall below freezing for very long. Long Island is very continental and can get extremely cold in winter, same as the mid Atlantic area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 07:10 AM

855 posts, read 771,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Other sites using satellite data, give an average around 11C.

Any place will have areas of warmer water than the average. The average here peaks at about 19C, although bays and inlets can be 5-6C warmer. I would still use the average though, as those higher temperatures fluctuate.
Are you sure you're not looking at the Pacific Ocean? There's no way SST in the central Strait of Georgia is 11C in the summer. Do you have a pic of satellite temps?

Old 11-19-2015, 07:11 AM

855 posts, read 771,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Salt Spring Island doesn't look that mild to me, the stats for Cucheon Lake show average lows below freezing in Dec, Jan & Feb, with a record low of -17.5C as recently as 1990:
Canadian Climate Normals 1981-2010 Station Data

The stats for St Mary's Lake are a little higher, but still not what I would call mild, with average lows in Dec, Jan & Feb around 2C & a record low of -11.0C, again in 1990:
Canadian Climate Normals 1981-2010 Station Data

It may be mild by Canadian standards & Canada's version of Hawaii, but those averages & record lows are too cool for Phoenix canariensis to survive long term...
I think anywhere near the beaches will not have a freezing or sub-freezing low for any month. Don't know anything about those stations but they sound like inland lakes.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:24 AM

13,479 posts, read 9,020,662 times
Here are the average sea temperatures of Nanaimo (Vancouver Island), closest site to Salt Spring Island. The average in August is only 11.4C...
Nanaimo Sea Temperature August Average, Canada Water Temperatures

Old 11-19-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
I think anywhere near the beaches will not have a freezing or sub-freezing low for any month. Don't know anything about those stations but they sound like inland lakes.
Well there are no weather stations on the beaches, so no one will know for sure, but even inland on a small island it should not be that much colder than areas closer to the coast...

Old 11-19-2015, 08:23 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
It's a completely different climate than yours though, extremes in temperature are rare, and it doesn't often fall below freezing for very long. Long Island is very continental and can get extremely cold in winter, same as the mid Atlantic area.
I know the climate is quite different, but the average temperatures in the winter months aren't dramatically different. And while I wouldn't refer to Long Island as "very continental", that title is better reserved for the Midwest and Great Plains, I recognize that the weather in the Mid-Atlantic region in general isn't as stable as it is in the Pacific Northwest during the winter.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:22 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Here are the average sea temperatures of Nanaimo (Vancouver Island), closest site to Salt Spring Island. The average in August is only 11.4C...
Nanaimo Sea Temperature August Average, Canada Water Temperatures
That doesn't make sense as Tofino which is on the open Pacific usually averages around 14C. I know because I often check the surf forecast there in summer. Nanaimo would be a little warmer than that as it's facing a semi enclosed body of water.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
That doesn't make sense as Tofino which is on the open Pacific usually averages around 14C. I know because I often check the surf forecast there in summer. Nanaimo would be a little warmer than that as it's facing a semi enclosed body of water.
Looking on the internet it seems that during the summer the west coast of Vancouver Island receives upwelling, bringing cooler water. The strait of Georgia although more sheltered has very strong currents due to the narrow openings, so that will keep temperatures down...

Old 11-19-2015, 11:29 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
Are you sure you're not looking at the Pacific Ocean? There's no way SST in the central Strait of Georgia is 11C in the summer. Do you have a pic of satellite temps?
Every locale in the Strait has average temperatures around that 11.4C mark.

I don't have satellite pics, but a quick search will show sites using satellites, will provide consistent results.

Other sites showing higher temperatures, are based around beach temperatures, and while interesting, don't allow for proper comparisons with other regions.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:31 PM

26 posts, read 30,524 times
On the south coast of UK it is full of mature CIDP and where my daughter lives in Plymouth, U.K., there are nice ones in her neighbourhood. They will grow here on our coast with some protection during a cold snap. Nearer to the ocean is much better where winter mins never get so low. I know of a very large specimen growing in my friends garden in Cloverdale believe it or not. Cloverdale I consider zone 8a. The trunk is big and thick now and the fronds over his roof. I have more recent pics of it on my FB page, but here is a video I shot several years ago. The palm is much larger now. How planted it around 2000. This vid I shot in August 2010 of the CIDP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk2KGHW8mz0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather