Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 08:23 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,357 times

Advertisements

Winter: 5 months
Spring: 1.5 mo
Summer: 3 mo
Fall: 2.5 mo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 08:35 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
Chicago area...
Winter: 3.5 months (December through mid March)
Spring: 2.5 months (Mid March to May)
Summer: 4 months (June through September)
Autumn: 2 months (October and November)

There are about 6 months of good weather (May through October), 3 months were it is a coin toss (November, March, and April), and 3 months when it is usually bad (December, January, and February).

Old 11-07-2015, 08:40 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,652,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Well I just did Nelson NZ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson...ealand#Climate , That's where you live right? since daily mean is available I will use that instead.

Nelson NZ increments of 3.6C
Winter (7.2C-10.8C): May-Sep 5 months
Spring (10.8C-14.4C): Oct-Nov 2 months
Summer (14.4C-17.9C): Dec-Mar 4 months
Autumn (10.8C-14.4C): Apr 1 month

interestingly the durations are the same as Seattle, I don't know how you got 1 month of winter, where you using my original parameters? Because if you did it would be 4 months for each season and winter would be absent.
I used Motueka's stats, (where I live). It's warmer in every month than Nelson.

5 months of winter doesn't sound right for a place that doesn't see snow

Old 11-07-2015, 09:32 PM

579 posts, read 431,791 times
Quote:
Well if it helps how about we call the following seasons for this thread as;
spring: warm season
summer: hot season
fall: cool season
winter: cold season
Excluding the past summer, Seattle doesn't really have a hot season.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:43 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,188 times
Last year in Los Angeles, Winter fell on a Tuesday. Unfortunately, it was at night and I missed it.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:06 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,449,016 times
Quote:
Well if it helps how about we call the following seasons for this thread as;
spring: warm season
summer: hot season
fall: cool season
winter: cold season
Common misconception that spring is a "warm season" and fall is a "cool season." Truth is, for the majority of places, spring and fall are either identical practically (just in reverse) or more common than so, fall is slightly or even considerably WARMER than spring. It's just that in spring, we came from winter and 55 degrees feels relatively warm compared to say, 30 degrees in winter. And 55 in fall feels relatively cool, compared to 80 in summer. A better term is "warming season" and "cooling season". I know last May was way cooler than this September, and it usually is on average. But we had days in May where it didn't reach 70 degrees as a high, stayed in the low-mid 60s, but I think every day in September reached 80.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:14 PM

Technically it's 3 months for every place, everywhere, regardless of weather. But if we're gonna by some temperature criteria for the "feel like season" then I think we should look for low temperatures in winter, and highs in summer and both for spring/fall. Our winters average high is above 50. But our average low is in the 30s. Spring and fall respectively are 70s/50s. Summer is 90s/70s.

I feel it's timed pretty well. Especially this winter/spring. We had a ton (for Texas) of snow in late February and it all melted early March. May is still really spring like, also it's the most likely month for tornadoes, which in the plains is definitely associated with spring, just as much as wildflowers and mornin' showers! I believe we even had a low in the 50s on June 1st (first day of summer) which for Texas sounds crazy lol

The one season where I feel the weather takes longest too arrive though, is fall. September still had many days in the high 80s and pushing 100. October finally got nicer and cooler and now it's unmistakably fall. Low 50s and dropping to the 40s. "Seasons" are relative to where someone lives, though. Our summers are really hot, so highs in the 80s usually means late spring/early fall. Up north that would be the height of summer.

Last edited by Pincho-toot; 11-07-2015 at 10:26 PM..

Old 11-07-2015, 10:21 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,919,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatteredthunder View Post
Excluding the past summer, Seattle doesn't really have a hot season.
I wasn't doing it it based off of Seattle, it was supposed to be a name replacement because one of the posters said that the seasons are fixed and summer will always be jun-Aug even if sep is warmer than than jun and so on.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:26 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,919,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Technically it's 3 months for every place, everywhere, regardless of weather. But if we're gonna by some temperature criteria for the "feel like season" then I think we should look for low temperatures in winter, and highs in summer and both for spring/fall. Our winters average high is above 50. But our average low is in the 30s. Spring and fall respectively are 70s/50s. Summer is 90s/70s.

I feel it's timed pretty well. Especially this winter/spring. We had a ton (for Texas) of snow in late February and it all melted early March. May is still really spring like, also it's the most likely month for tornadoes, which in the plains is definitely associated with spring, just as much as wildflowers and mornin' showers! I believe we even had a low in the 50s on June 1st (first day of summer) which for Texas sounds crazy lol

The one season where I feel the weather takes longest too arrive though, is fall. September still had many days in the high 80s and pushing 100. October finally got nicer and cooler and now it's unmistakably fall. Low 50s and dropping to the 40s. "Seasons" are relative to where someone lives, though. Our summers are really hot, so highs in the 80s usually means late spring/early fall.
Thank you, that's what I was going for, a feel like season. For Seattle the season that seems to not come fast enough is spring. Our springs also warm up extremely slow, so it could be warm enough for the plants to start growing but still chilly enough that you have to wear a sweater.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Thank you, that's what I was going for, a feel like season. For Seattle the season that seems to not come fast enough is spring. Our springs also warm up extremely slow, so it could be warm enough for the plants to start growing but still chilly enough that you have to wear a sweater.
I associate spring as a time of year that is kinda mixed. You can have one day where you wear sweaters, the next day it's too warm for a sweater. But overall, for an ideal spring, I think you should have snow and freezing temperatures in the beginning, (early March) will eventually melts and then by April, even if it's warm or hot in the afternoon, the nights and mornings should be cool like under 65. Highs from 55 to 75 and lows from 60 to 40 are what I consider perfect spring weather. I actually like the unpredictability of the springtime, it's interesting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather