Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What month is better in your hometown?
March 19 38.78%
November 30 61.22%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 12:29 PM

54 posts, read 51,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
If I were you I'd go for March just because the vegetation was greened up after winter rain while November has a brown-ish look there in many spots. You live in a beautiful area, btw.
Things are still brown in March in Western Mass. ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 12:31 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Ball View Post
Things are still brown in March in Western Mass. ??
I'm referring to DCMann's climate, where I think it'd be mostly brown in November and green in March.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:40 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,598 times
Quote:
If I were you I'd go for March just because the vegetation was greened up after winter rain while November has a brown-ish look there in many spots. You live in a beautiful area, btw.
Depending on when the rains start we start greening up in earnest by November. While we definitely have lots of brown it doesn't feel like late summer at all, and November is mushroom season which allows us to buy local mushrooms like chanterelles for cheap.

The fall colors are their strongest in November as well and I know I have a whole rainy season ahead of me still, whereas I know the dry season is right around the corner in March.

Like I said though both months have strong strengths and few weaknesses but the winds of spring get old REALLY fast

Thanks for the compliment; it really is spectacular here and I really have to nitpick when it comes to complaining about the weather

Old 11-23-2015, 12:55 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,127 times
I chose March - only because it's leading to the warmer months.. and November is the beginning of the really cold weather here!

Not a fan of the winter at all.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:30 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Thanks to global warming, our Novembers have been awesome in recent years.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:44 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
March has slightly warmer highs but colder lows than November here. The sun is much stronger in March, it is much drier and often records 18-20c late in the month, whereas the warmest days in November only get up to 15-17c usually.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:01 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
March has slightly warmer highs but colder lows than November here. The sun is much stronger in March, it is much drier and often records 18-20c late in the month, whereas the warmest days in November only get up to 15-17c usually.
I wouldn't have expected March to be so close to November; along the coast here (say, Long Island) March is slightly closer to December than November. Islip, NY gets 9 days in November 15°C+; only 4 in March. Extremes are roughly similar for March & November both here and down there.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
Depending on when the rains start we start greening up in earnest by November. While we definitely have lots of brown it doesn't feel like late summer at all, and November is mushroom season which allows us to buy local mushrooms like chanterelles for cheap.
Do you green up earlier than other parts of California as your climate is wetter (and further north) than most?

Old 11-23-2015, 02:03 PM

226 posts, read 244,780 times
March undoubtedly. Much more pleasant - sunnier, drier and more varied. More chance of frost, snow and convective activity. Crocuses are in bloom and daffodils start to come out as well.

November is a horrible month with nothing to recommend it.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:43 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,598 times
Quote:
Do you green up earlier than other parts of California as your climate is wetter (and further north) than most?
Yes, we green up much earlier and more quickly than the rest of the state, and we tend to stay green longer thanks to the fog and high humidity. Like I said we start greening up in earnest in November, and we stay very green through June and fairly green through most of July, whereas most of the rest of the state starts greening up in January and is brown again by mid June. Averaging 40" of rain a season plays a huge role too of course
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather