Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2015, 09:00 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times

Advertisements

The fruit is a Quince. Plenty of wild ones around here from the mining days. Makes a mean wine, or a conserve.

Nice photos, looks very Coronation Street.

Some serious flooding there. It doesn't really flood here -along with lots of other weather events that don't happen here.

Last edited by Joe90; 12-16-2015 at 09:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 09:08 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Great pics Dean. I love streets like that in the UK. I like all the green shrubs. The pub is soo cool. I'd love to stop in there for a beer.

I think the tree is a form of citrus of some kind, because the leaves are evergreen and look citrusy to me. Maybe a citrange. There are a load of different citrus hybrids it could be.

Jeez, the streets in the UK like that remind me a lot of Philadelphia in a way.
Thanks

Yeah it's a nice little pub. They have some nice beer on tap too.
Alot of the streets in this area look like this. A couple of streets down, the houses get much bigger than here, and the houses at the other end of the street are large too, but generally they're look like in the picture.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:11 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
The fruit is a Quince. Plenty of wild ones around here from the mining days. Makes a mean wine, or a conserve.

Nice photos, looks very Coronation Street.

Some serious flooding there. It doesn't really flood here -along with lots of other weather events that don't happen here.
Ah thanks. I've never noticed the plant before, but then I noticed this one and another garden also had them. Are they nice to eat straight off the tree?

Thanks, I guess it is quite similar to Coronation Street. Bit nicer around here though I might add

Old 12-16-2015, 09:19 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
Ah thanks. I've never noticed the plant before, but then I noticed this one and another garden also had them. Are they nice to eat straight off the tree?
They're okay if left on the tree for a long time, although birds and wasps usually get to them first. The taste is like a mixture of Pear and Guava

Old 12-16-2015, 05:31 PM

29,522 posts, read 19,616,477 times
https://twitter.com/MikeHamernik/sta...41963154907136

Old 12-16-2015, 07:05 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post

Not with all those dead trees and not one hint of green. Does Chicago even have one broadleaf evergreen shrub around lol. Must be a very drab gray city in winter.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Yes the sun is noticeably lower, my back garden isn't getting any sun at all now. The famous McDonald's on Bugibba front (possibly the most scenic Maccy D's in the world) has been closed down They are moving it into a bog standard McDonald's style building in Bugibba Square...

Anyway, I had to pop down to the Post Office this afternoon so took a few more shots, especially of some of the exotics growing locally. It was sunny, but quite windy & around 19C/66F...

Windswept palms on the seafront...

A couple of big Norfolk Island Pines growing in the grounds of a hotel

Some young Queen palms outside another hotel...

The Maltese flag standing proud in the blustery wind today...

Swiss Cheese plant (Monstera) in a front garden...

Weeping Fig (Ficus benjamina)...

Big Plumeria, still had a few flowers on it...

Bird of Paradise (Strelitzia reginae)...

Big Dracaena marginata...

I wouldn't be Christmas without Poinsettia's. These are hard pruned back in spring, hence the long single stems, rather than being allowed to grow into a tree...

Bougainvillea...

A couple of smaller Norfolk Island Pines, one of my favourite trees...

Nice cactus (Euphorbia sp.)...

Red Hibiscus (rosa sinensis)...

A large pink flowered Hibiscus arnottianus, which is native to Hawaii...

Wow, what a bright and beautiful place to spend a winter. Consider yourself very lucky! Love all the tropical and subtropicals growing there. That place gives Miami a run for its money.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Not my photo, but from Facebook, of the Blue Lagoon on the tiny Maltese Island of Comino this morning...

Wow, what a beach.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
A friend of mine just went back from La Gomera island. Sounds great for hiking, though not as diverse as Gran Canaria or Tenerife. Have you been there?

To continue on the bare trees & ground + grey skies theme:

There were more seagulls than pigeons. In fact I see more seagulls 250 km inland in Paris than right on the coast in Nice.

Santa's sleigh! Rides every 30 minutes from 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm!!

Some side street nearby:
Spoiler

Leaves are still hanging on plane trees. Bummer.

But the grass is so green in Europe it never looks nearly as gray and bland as around the eastern US in winter. Even in North Carolina they have brown grass and dead trees.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:22 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,452,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
But the grass is so green in Europe it never looks nearly as gray and bland as around the eastern US in winter. Even in North Carolina they have brown grass and dead trees.
So brown grass is fine as long as it's in the summer rather than winter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather