Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2016, 10:32 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,194,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Wow.. thanks for the uploads. Did the wildlife animal scare you? I'm sure you weren't sure what to do at that point given how we don't get that to happen in the Northeast here.
Deer? No. Deer are kinda harmless. The moose I saw in New Hampshire I was more scared about, they're much bigger and can charge if spooked. I've had a black bear walk by my bedroom window, no deer though I've seen them fields and they're common in other populated areas in the Northeast. Last two times I visited California I passed close by elk. The state park trailheads had signs warning to hike alone because I was in mountain lion habitat. Almost anywhere with a deer or elk population in California would have mountain lions.

Quote:
Surprised at the greenery and surprised there aren't more "winter"(snow and ice) photos in this thread. Kinda getting tired of seeing Spring and Summer stuff.
Coastal California is at the same hardiness as central Florida, and almost the same latitude as Malta. Hiromat had some nice snowy landscape photos. And Shalop posted some from a high mountain up in the Alps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 10:35 AM

13,440 posts, read 8,976,645 times
Quote:
Surprised at the greenery and surprised there aren't more "winter"(snow and ice) photos in this thread. Kinda getting tired of seeing Spring and Summer stuff.
Well it is called the "Winter Photo Thread" not the "Snow & Ice Photo Thread", many places that get a "winter" don't get snow & ice...

Old 01-12-2016, 10:39 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Well Thanks. I look forward to winter 2016-17 then. LOL! And I agree... what happened to Susanna(I think) from Wyoming...or was it Montana? We need more Western Mountain snow pics or Europe for that matter
Neither, Idaho. She said was going to move Vermont, and then she stopped posting. Her profile says she's still checking the forum. Actually, checking her posts from a year ago it looks like she stayed in Idaho.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:01 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,433,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I'll post snow pics when it happens here. I like pics of snow covered mountains. I wish I could see more pics of the Alps and Rocky Mountains in winter. Not many posters on this forum from those areas I guess.
I'm from the Alps if you want, and finally we have some snow on the mountains (not much, but it is already much better than the zero snow of last month). As soon as the weather will let me to see well the mountains I will post some photos then. According to the forecast a couple of days will probably be enough (hoping than the warm wind we had today won't melt it completely...)

Old 01-12-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
I'm from the Alps if you want, and finally we have some snow on the mountains (not much, but it is already much better than the zero snow of last month). As soon as the weather will let me to see well the mountains I will post some photos then. According to the forecast a couple of days will probably be enough (hoping than the warm wind we had today won't melt it completely...)
You had no snow even up at 3000 meters / 10,000 feet?

Old 01-12-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
You had no snow even up at 3000 meters / 10,000 feet?
It was a matter of complete lack of precipitation, in practice during last year it rained (or snowed on the mountains) for the last time at the end of October. After two months without precipitations of any kind there was only a really small amount of snow left on the top of the mountains, and only on the areas not reached by sunlight.
Instead in the last week and an half we finally had some snow, here at low altitude it already melted completely because the last few days have been really warm (because of foehn wind today's temperatures have been 5.5 / 10.4 °C, now it is 6:30 PM and the temperature is still 8.5°C!), but I hope that at least the snow on the mountains will resist a little more.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:51 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,544,936 times
Quote:
Well Thanks. I look forward to winter 2016-17 then. LOL! And I agree... what happened to Susanna(I think) from Wyoming...or was it Montana? We need more Western Mountain snow pics or Europe for that matter

Loads of people have posted pics from Europe...

Old 01-12-2016, 01:11 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,856,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post

Yes, please do post when you can. What elevation are the Alps near where you are?

Old 01-12-2016, 01:28 PM

8,161 posts, read 8,695,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Hmm. So the vegetation isn't so familiar? Perhaps urban landscaping and gardens are similar, but the countryside isn't. Is it the grassland that doesn't look similar or the trees?
Yeah we don't have grassland like that here. Also the tree species are different. And of course no big trees like redwoods.

Quote:
How could you tell from my photos. Felt like it got when the rain came in — being by the Pacific Ocean seem to create lots of wind when the weather was unsettled. Sky was a very deep blue when it was dry.
That's what Joe often says when he sees a pic of non-scarred banana tree leaves.

Quote:
You visited Big Sur? Or is that somewhere else on the California coast? I'm puzzled why someone's in the water? I remember cloudy weather in San Francisco in July from the same clouds that produced the coastal fog.
Nope, I just visited the area around Monterey and Carmel, which is where the pic is from. Yeah that woman sure is a toughie. The weather wasn't very enticing and the SSTs even less. Looks like she wears a bathing suit.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Yes, please do post when you can. What elevation are the Alps near where you are?
Ok, I will try to take some photos then.

About the mountains, the highest ones in my Valley are nearly 3500 m high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather